Maisonette upstairs water supply noise. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
A recently acquired property which is being renovated has a very noisy mains supply pipe going to the upstairs maisonette.

The noise is so loud it can be heard through the entire maisonette.

Has anyone got any ideas as to the cause? Itā€™s a 1950s build, upstairs is let out directly by the freeholder and this flat is purchased (lease).

See video below for the noise. Iā€™m not sure how to fix/whatā€™s wrongā€¦ do we contact the freeholder? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The noise is CONSTANT, not just when they open the water. Sometimes the noise is louder (I guess when they actually open a tap?!) šŸ˜±

itā€™s definitely not from our property as we had the water turned off at the meter and itā€™s still hissingā€¦. šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
If its lead going into ground my money is on it being under ground
Sorry I donā€™t understand you mean the hissing is from underground?

no idea if itā€™s lead, could be? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

if itā€™s from underground if we put concrete or something around where the pipe comes in to close any gaps will the noise be reduced? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

cheers guys.

If the noise is constant, there must be a leak. If you can isolate the rising main and there is still a noise, the leak is before the point of isolation, possibly underground (I think thatā€™s what smythe means). If the noise goes, itā€™s downstream of the isolation point, if no visible water or damp patches from upstairs or water escaping from an external warning pipe/overflow, it will be an overflowing WC or fill valve and getting away via an integral overflow. If it is downstream and itā€™s a ball-o-fix isolator or even a conventional stop tap, it wonā€™t be fully open, hence the noise. There is only noise if there is a leak or a restriction of flowing water.
Hope that helps and makes sense!

For each maisonette there must be a separate water meter, find them, determine which one feeds upstairs, they should be labeled with house number, shut your meter off, can you still hear the noise? If so, go upstairs, make sure all outlets are closed, has noise stopped? If not then check meter to see if water is still passing through, if spinning you have a leak. In either case if not sure ask local water authority to check both main supplies for leaks. They will do this free of charge. šŸ‘

Hydroponics , no funny smells or strange UV glowings from the loft area ?

If the upper flat has an external leccy meter then it maybe whizzing round in a similar fashion to the water meter.

K

Cavitation ?

The upstairs is still social housing/housing association rented I believe so I guess they will take care of the repairs if I isolate it down to being the upstairs flat leaking? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Definitely isnā€™t from our property as when the valve at meter at ours was closed it still hissed. Only thing left to try is close the meter for upstairs but Iā€™ll have to ask their permission before trying that obviously.

Sorry I donā€™t understand you mean the hissing is from underground?

no idea if itā€™s lead, could be? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

if itā€™s from underground if we put concrete or something around where the pipe comes in to close any gaps will the noise be reduced? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

cheers guys.
turn stop **** off ,and listen and feel the pipe ,then you'll know its below the stop ****

Glad you liked it there. What was the name of the place you stayed?

Our house overlooks the airport.
hermes view from balcony could also do with a cold drink today here like this one

Attachments

• IMG_3031.PNG
    IMG_3031.PNG
    129 KB · Views: 4
  • hermes.PNG
    hermes.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hermes is nice and Chrissa the owner is a friend of ours. I lived there in summer 93 which was before they had the pool and restaurant.
think it was george and louisa ?? running the place when we was there,was really good in gusto , i remember also going to a nearby restaurant called infinity blue

think it was george and louisa ?? running the place when we was there,was really good in gusto , i remember also going to a nearby restaurant called infinity blue
Infinity Blue is lovely. Owned by 2 brothers.

Kostas is one of them and youā€™d probably have seen him. If you didnā€™t youā€™d enjoy heard him!! Rides about on his Hayabusa wearing Speedos, flip flops and a crash helmet. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

1626538482926.png

Infinity Blue is lovely. Owned by 2 brothers.

Kostas is one of them and youā€™d probably have seen him. If you didnā€™t youā€™d enjoy heard him!! Rides about on his Hayabusa wearing Speedos, flip flops and a crash helmet. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

View attachment 115793
lol definitely him(top picture) very enthusiastic and the first time i'd ever had sea bream so good memory ,think it was the most expensive meal i had in my stay , gyros rule ,also used the sea taxi from the town back to kolios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom