Major oil leak from middle of engine W211 v6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Car
W124 300 E // W211 320 cdi
Hi guys, few days ago discovered a oil leak, luckily managed to get the car to a garage. I suspect its the oil cooler seals or gaskets, major job, been quoted about a grand for parts and labour and I am confident as the guys done plenty before. What I wanted to ask was is it worth getting this repaired and what are the changes of it happening again.. Its a OM642
Thanks

Not quite sure of your questions..

You said it was a "major oil leak" and ask if it is worth getting it repaired?

Do you mean shall you just leave it or not worth getting it done because of the value of the car?

As for the chances of it happening again. Well yes, it has happened once so it can happen again but how many years and miles have gone by before the failure?

I'm sure of your questions and If you replace the oil cooler and use the new purple oil seals , you'll be good for another 100k . If the cars still clean and running well ,go for it. Possibly have the intake manifolds cleaned of carbon whilst it's apart .

Sorry yes, question was could it happen again, cars done 140k, I've done 70 in the last 3 years, it's regularly serviced and maintained, I'm pretty sure it's the oil cooler seals, was trying to work out if it was worth repairing, however after speaking the garage approx 1100 for labour and parts, new cooler and gaskets seals etc I've decided to go ahead

Has anybody actually had them fail for a second time with the purple seals? I've never heard of it, so far.

Sorry yes, question was could it happen again, cars done 140k, I've done 70 in the last 3 years, it's regularly serviced and maintained, I'm pretty sure it's the oil cooler seals, was trying to work out if it was worth repairing, however after speaking the garage approx 1100 for labour and parts, new cooler and gaskets seals etc I've decided to go ahead
Yes it could happen again. So could many other issues. At least this fix should last you a very long time and propably outlast the car.

Has anybody actually had them fail for a second time with the purple seals? I've never heard of it, so far.

Take a good motorist to keep a car that long. 200k would take me 40 years based on my current mileage. 😅😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom