Make your own bio diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Progress is only ever made by those willing to do what everyone else does not do.

Easy is going to the local filling station.

Hard is following the details on the website - thats why everyone does not do it. It is easy but people would rather take the even easier route of the local filling station.

Whats 'dodgy' is paying disgusting high taxes on fuel and various 'stealth' taxes :mad:

Will I use biodiesel? No I wont. Not because its 'dodgy or too easy to be true' but because it actually does take a little effort and I am too lazy and cant be bothered. I admit that I would rather fill up at a garage and moan about the taxes.

I take my hat off to those who help us progress . . .

Top gear did a feature a while back where they draind a volvo of all its fuel and got a chap in who was in the know to make them some up for them out of old vegi oil obtaind from the local chipy. when they refilled the car with the stuff, jeremy clarkson drove it round the test track and it drove fine. This was all done under the watchfull eye af a nice chap from the aa to make sure there was no cheating. So it can be done. The problem is, your suposed to declare what you use to the gov so they can tax you on it!!!!!! But you wouldnt would you!! :devil:

Last edited:
storeing it

:crazy: ok so you use betwwen 120 160 lits per month you would have to spend all your spare time makeing it,gathering it , and filling out the tax return????? :D

Or you could simply shop around the supermarkets and cash and carry, find which is selling pure vegetable oil the cheapest, Lido at less than 30ppl around here! Then mix it with dino diesel at anything up to 50%.

It's a good compromise between the messing about with your own refinery and saving some money and some natural resources.

jimmy said:
Or you could simply shop around the supermarkets and cash and carry, find which is selling pure vegetable oil the cheapest, Lido at less than 30ppl around here! Then mix it with dino diesel at anything up to 50%.

It's a good compromise between the messing about with your own refinery and saving some money and some natural resources.

It may be a compromise, but would you use it in your car?? :confused:

I am certain that I would not. :crazy:

Wouldn't like to comment on my own personal experience but from what I 'hear' MB's run very well on BioDiesel. In fact VW's, Audis and MB's run extremely well on it. Lower emissions, less visible smoke, smoother running, more power and economy.

Bio Diesel puts back the lubricity that Ultra Low Sulphur has had removed, it is better for your engine. Brian, I think your point was aimed at used vegetable oil, no I would not use that, not even in my tractor.

Our local Tesco garage sells 'EcoDiesel' a mix of BioDiesel and regular diesel, on the continent it is widely available. When I was working in agriculture there was a company who would agree to buy all your oilseed rape if you agreed to buy back the biodiesel that they made from it. We did it for a few years and ran all our tractors, combines, sprayers and cars on a mix of biodiesel and regualr diesel. We used to run on a mix of 25% all year round. We only had one problem and that was with an old Manitou forklift that had no pre-heater and was difficult to start in the depths of winter, regular diesel sorted it.

So why can farmers no longer do this? What happened to the company that started it? Why dont more garages offer BioDiesel at the pumps?

Government?

The big oil companies?

Car manufacturers?

Public?

Hmmmm, I wonder!!

jimmy said:
Brian, I think your point was aimed at used vegetable oil, no I would not use that, not even in my tractor.

So why can farmers no longer do this? What happened to the company that started it? Why dont more garages offer BioDiesel at the pumps?

Government?

The big oil companies?

Car manufacturers?

Public?

Hmmmm, I wonder!!

Yes I was talking about Vegetable oil.

As for why it is not available, I would say it is a mixture of Big Oil Companies losing their profits and the Government losing their Taxes.

It really is that easy to run your car on veggie oil, I know some guys in South Wales who do it all the time. In fact the local supermarkets had to restrict its sales to 2 litres per person, they were running out of the stuff.
There was a program on BBC1 a couple of years ago and farmers were saying why couldn't they plant rape seed and convert it into oil for use on cars and trucks instead of taking subsidies from the EU to keep Fields empty.
The Government also said it was to go on general sale at £0.36 a litre, this was supposed to be July '03. The only garage I have ever seen it is in Leicestershire, wonder why!!

Just to make sure MB gets their cut if you do use bioblend, the manual says you MUST have certain mods carried out to your engine at an authorized dealer.

Would I use bioblend given the chance......YES, better for the engine and the environment, its a scandal that this environmentally friendly fuel has not been made available, the government hark on about environmental charging and given the option of bioblend decide not to proceed with it. Couldn't be the loss of revenue could it??

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom