making a claim on mobilo life for rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
glojo said:
I disagree entirely with Glenn and endorse completely what stats007 has said.

Not sure what you disagree entirely with?
I have the details of the warranty conditions from DCUK. The manufacturer of a motor vehcle cannot insist that the vehicle is serviced by their agents in order to maintain the warranty, this applies to vehicles up to six years old, any warranty above this age (if there is any) the manufacturer or importer can make any conditions he likes, but it is also worth making a claim if your car doesn't meet these conditions. Write to DCUK first, as glojo says, be polite tell them how much you like the vehicle and how disapointed you are to experience these unacceptable levels of corrosion, leave a week or two then visit your local MB dealer, by now DCUK will have notified your local dealer. Do not allow the dealer to decide if it's covered, tell them (if they try and make the decision it's not covered) that you'd like the claim submitted to DCUK.
I have just had my third corrosion claim authorised my DCUK using this method, i have never had a mb service done, the last mb stamp on the car was 3 1/2 years and 42000 miles ago, the car is now six and a half years old with 142k on the clock they have agreed to repair 10 areas of corrosion!!!! one of these ( the tailgate) has already been done once 18months ago and lord knows what they'll find when the sill covers come off. I'm guessing but I think this will be the last successfull claim i'll get?:devil:

benny said:
I wanna do this also but dont think i have a leg to stand on and if i was to go in there i'd feel like a t1t and they'd laugh me out the shop.

If it's a 98 car, go for it, they will not laugh, if they do, speak to DCUK. see above to see how i go about making a claim.

All claims have to be ratified by Milton Keynes anyway - dealers don't have the power to say yes or no. '98 cars are only covered after September of that year. Benny's is a '97.

stats007 said:
All claims have to be ratified by Milton Keynes anyway - dealers don't have the power to say yes or no. '98 cars are only covered after September of that year. Benny's is a '97.

Yes am aware of that, but my dealer refused to submit some parts of my claim saying it wasn't covered ( external damage corrosion) but it is worth demanding that all areas are submitted. That was the point i was trying to make!!

Glenn Smith said:
Not sure what you disagree entirely with?
I disagree entirely with your statement stating Mercedes-Benz cannot stipulate where the car has to be serviced to comply with Mobilio or Mobilio Life. These requirements were not wrote by you or I, and I am certain they would comply with ALL the necessary legal requirements of countries that offer it otherwise the manufacturer would be acting unlawfully???

Note I am NOT saying the car warranty, a manufacturers warranty is not the same as mobilio, this goes beyond the terms and conditions of the basic warranty.

John

I have just had a gold estate done under warranty (DC UK's sherlock homes department should know who I am ) the dealers are instructed not too "look for work" the car is a late 2000 estate FMBSH DC UK assess each job on a panel by panel basis and expect the bodyshop to paint it on that basis, totally unrealistic with metallic's especially gold so I paid extra so that I didn't have a patchwork quilt ie 3 out of four panels on one side, it is going back because of a bodyshop **** up (they have held there hands up to it ) took some weeks to be accepted, do not under any circumstances think that a paintwork inspection is what you think it should be, INSPECT THE CAR EVERWHERE YOURSELF, identify exactly, every area with corrosion on a note to your dealer, start with all wheel arches, door tops, tailgate/boot battery department underbonnet etc etc it helps to get it on a ramp, Mercedes cocked up when building the car, fine, but why oh why do they have to alienate their customers. They have what I call a sieve sales policy, keep shoving them in at the top for the ones they are loosing at the bottom, it is much cheaper I would have thought too keep the one's youv'e got and grow from firm foundations.

Last edited:
glojo said:
I disagree entirely with your statement stating Mercedes-Benz cannot stipulate where the car has to be serviced to comply with Mobilio or Mobilio Life. These requirements were not wrote by you or I, and I am certain they would comply with ALL the necessary legal requirements of countries that offer it otherwise the manufacturer would be acting unlawfully???

Note I am NOT saying the car warranty, a manufacturers warranty is not the same as mobilio, this goes beyond the terms and conditions of the basic warranty.

John

John's bang on here - Mobilo is NOT the manufacturer's warrenty that was covered (or uncovered, I suppose) by the change in Block Exemption rules. So, for standard warranty claims (mechanical, etc) the manufacturer cannot stipulate a full dealer service history, but can insist on an "approved agent" history to ensure that work was carried out to a satisfactory standard.

Mobilo is essentially a lifetime assistance programme with additional coverage for a specific corrosion event. Shoddy painting would be covered by the standard warranty................opps, don't want to go there :)

Mr E said:
So, for standard warranty claims (mechanical, etc) the manufacturer cannot stipulate a full dealer service history, but can insist on an "approved agent" history to ensure that work was carried out to a satisfactory standard.
:) :) I can guarantee that some folks will still disagree:eek: .

Thanks though for the update.

Regards,
John

glojo said:

John

So, what you are saying is you can call a warranty something different and insist on certain conditions? A motor manufacture or importer doesn't have to offer a warranty at all (although you have your statutory rights). beyond year six DCUK can insist on MBSH to continue the warranty, before year six they cannot. I have in black and white conditions of warranty from DCUK that mirror this. I would also point out they have not insisted on this, and have authorised repairs on my car despite no MB stamp for 3 1/2 years the rest of the book by one independent garage and the rest by me!!
If i'm wrong about the warranty conditions, i'm sure they would have rejected my claim, but i will check the facts.

I have a '99 C43 estate and the MB dealer is replacing both front wings this week under mobilo. (Full MBSH though) I just took it in, they took a few snaps (small areas of bubbling) and a few weeks later booked in for fix. They don't repair rust now, according to the body shop, they replace the panel. Fine with me!:)

My wings were not replaced according to the body shop that painted them, and too me who looked underneath!

Glenn Smith said:
So, what you are saying is you can call a warranty something different and insist on certain conditions?
NO........... I have clearly stated Mobilio is above and beyond the basic warranty, then your trying to twist things to match your opinion??

Why are you refusing to accept what I have CLEARLY stated and WHY are you then trying to twist it into something else?

DaimlerChysler offer a warranty with all new vehicles... FULL STOP don't twist that, don't distort it, simply accept that a Mercedes-Benz comes with a manufacturers warranty.

Now if you have managed to accept that is what I have said? Mercedes-Benz then offer mobilio coverage to specific countries. This is offered, it is a choice you can make, it is completely seperate from the warranty.

Please don't put words into my mouth, ask me a question and I will do my best to answer it (although the answer might be contraversial)

Numerous folks, myself included have ALL stated Mercedes-Benz are offering goodwill repairs, I would suggest your repair falls within this category?

I am not looking for an argument, I am very simply saying Mercedes-Benz has every right to make any stipulations they want regarding mobilio, hence the conditions.

You and others are extremely lucky to have the repairs, but that does not excuse the manufacturer for churning out rust buckets. I personally think it wrong that I can buy a very cheap corroded Mercedes-Benz from a back street trader, then go crying to a main dealer, demanding they fix the car, but that is me. I have always wished anyone, and everyone the best of luck when seeking a repair, but if it is refused on the grounds of not having a complete main dealer history, then so be it. Win some loose some.

I hope I have clarified my position regarding mobilo. It is our choice whether we have it and for those that elect to maintain this coverage then they should reap the benefits.

John

For MobilioLife - the warrenty is in place for the first two years of the vehicles life (in line with EC and UK regulations). After this period, the warranty is renewed without extra charge following each service at an MB dealer.

As an industry consultant on this I would love to see where you get the 6-year rule from....every vehicle OEM would be in breach of this rule. I won't even begin to go into the full details of it (it's too complicated and everyone would go to sleep) but the OEM has the right to expect that work is carried out to a specified standard, as much as the consumer has the right to have manufacturing defects corrected under warranty.

Mr E said:
As an industry consultant on this I would love to see where you get the 6-year rule from....every vehicle OEM would be in breach of this rule.
:) :) Hi Mr E,
We keep saying we will not 'bite' anymore but it is frustrating when folks innocently misunderstand this warranty issue.

I think the link Glen very kindly posted sums up my opinion of what he has alleged I suggested...fool.co.uk!! Speaks volumes really :D

Pain is beginning to rule brain so I had best have a rest.

John

well i thought it simple up to the middle of page 2 but now am completely confused - so my 99 w202 with 80% mbsh is more likely to be covered for the crrosion warranty than not is the general consensus ? is that fair ?

i will let you all know when if i get approval for teh corrosion repair - if i dont i think i will be getting in touch with DC personally and playing the devoted MB fan to see what happens

watch this space

(actually want to get work done to sell and get myself a CLK!!)

also may i just say glojo that your picture on profile is very apt (no offence)

ccrobins said:
i will let you all know when if i get approval for teh corrosion repair - if i dont i think i will be getting in touch with DC personally and playing the devoted MB fan to see what happens

Good luck BUT that will not work with them believe me...!

ccrobins said:
also may i just say glojo that your picture on profile is very apt (no offence)
Type casting don't you just love it?? :) :)

Tact might not be my best suit, but honesty is.

Unfortunately you are NOT covered by Mobilio, but on the bright side you have a very good (or maybe just good!!) chance of getting a goodwill repair.

Plus of course most of this rust we are reading about is possibly forming between the steel and the paintwork. This then shows as horrible bubbles, which although is underneath the paintwork, it is actually forming on the top surface of the steel! (hopefully you understand what I am trying to say?)

What a grump, sorry to be negative, but hopefully you might understand I am being honest and simply saying it as it really is.

Lots and lots of folks have had goodwill repairs and I do not see why you should be treated any different.

I just know that there will be at least half a dozen replies stating how owners have had corrossion repairs without having a full service history, and that is simply confirming what I am saying, they are goodwill repairs.

Apologies again for being an old grump,
Regards
John

Straight from the mouth of a Commercial Barrister and I quote "Repairs under Mercedes Mobilo life is a contractual obligation not a goodwill exercise they are subject only to the FAIR criteria in the accompanying paperwork if Mercedes were to publish clear and unambiguos guidelines for their customers they could either contest them in the courts or shut up and pay up".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom