Making a comand accept MY01 twice ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miro

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 slightly modified
Does anyone know how to make the MY01 update load twice ? The COMAND refuses to update the unit again with the same verison.

Why would you want to update it again with the same version ?

sym said:
Why would you want to update it again with the same version ?

I wanted to reset the custom logo name on the startup screen back to the factory default screen.

Ah OK - understand . . . although the fact than mine says MBenzNL doesn't really bother me at all ! ;)

S.

I wonder if you could reload an older version of the software then reapply the new one. But I do not know where to get the older software - if indeed such a CD even exists

steve_bcs said:
I wonder if you could reload an older version of the software then reapply the new one. But I do not know where to get the older software - if indeed such a CD even exists

I suspect that the older one would have the same problem as one of the same age.

steve_bcs said:

I am going to do a hack mod to MY01 and see how the COMAND module reads the date.

In about 99% of firmware disks, the creation date is not checksum protected. If I advance MY01 by one day then it will run again.

If I manage to pull it off without killing COMAND then I will report back. Otherwise I plan to speak to BOSCH locally first prior to attempting any fatal upgrades.

I would expect that BOSCH sells a diagnostic bench test kit which can interrogate the COMAND without the need for it to be installed in a car.

Probably requires the metal covers to be removed as most of these type devices have a com port internally.

1 Switch off ignition and withdraw ignition key.

2 Switch on operating unit with ON touch switch and wait about
10 s until operating unit is correctly switched off.

3 Press keys * and # at the same time and hold and switch on
unit with ON switch. Wait until download screenis displayed,
then release keys.

4 Insert download CD. (In the case of CD version with automatic
CD eject, CD is ejected and must be inserted
once again).

5 Press the following keys to override an older or same version:
First of all RET alone, then 2 and 3 (and 9) at the same time.

6 For download with ICAN activity (if ICAN active, download
stops endlessly in the case of checking CD) press keys 1 and 3
at the same time (before start of download!)

7 Start download by selecting with start operating unit rotary
knob and press on rotary knob.

8 The download now runs automatically in two stages and takes
about 45 minutes in total.

9 Confirm final message with OK, remove download CD and
insert NAVI map CD, switch unit off and on with ON switch.

steve_bcs said:
did this reset the startup logo to the OEM state as you were hoping?

Yes it did. And for some reason it also did a mod on the triangle and a few very minor things.

I am going to rerun the MY01 with the Australia CD sometime soon. As I was told here a while back the A230 part number CD is MY01.

Im not sure if the AU supplied copy has any variations.

after you did the MY01 mod what software version number does your NAVI have in the service menu?

miro said:
And for some reason it also did a mod on the triangle and a few very minor things.

What do you mean by the triangle?

what exactly are the minor things?

clegsr said:
after you did the MY01 mod what software version number does your NAVI have in the service menu?

It was MY01 before I started. I just wanted to run it again to get rid of the custom logo. I wanted totally OEM appearance.

steve_bcs said:
What do you mean by the triangle?

what exactly are the minor things?

My location is marked with a triangle. It changed colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom