Making a Profit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldguy57

MB Enthusiast
Car
Now various and sundry
Just apropos another thread on the forum re buying a car then complaining to try to get the price down even further and then selling on at a gigantic profit.I know it happens in every hobby I have ever been involved with and I have had all sorts of stories thrown at me (its for my Dad and hes about to die etc etc). What is the most transparent lie you have been told to get you to reduce a price?

I've traded my last 2 cars in and have a feeling this one will be going the same way.

It's just not worth the hassle selling private.

When buying a car in a private sale I've found that the best policy is honesty; I only make an offer with the cash in my pocket and ready to do a deal there and then. No sob stories or "that engine is sounding a bit lumpy" etc etc.

On the other hand, I've heard pretty much every excuse under the sun as to why I should knock money off i.e. "It's a 400 mile round trip and it'll cost me £100 in diesel so can you knock that off" - "the wife will kill me if I spend more than xyz" - "German cars aren't as reliable as they once were so I need to keep a spare kitty for faults" - "you didn't tell me about that 3mm scratch on the 18 year old van with 300k miles on" - "I've only got xyz to spend so that's all I can pay" etc etc

I've traded my last 2 cars in and have a feeling this one will be going the same way.

That. :thumb:

Even if I could sell privately for more money.

Worst I had was when I agreed a price on phone after numerous photos sent and a very accurate description.

The persons who turned up to buy the car consisted of eight travellers in a van and car.

What came next was a process of intimidation and trying to get the price knocked down. I didn't budge and half expected a kicking. In the end a third car turned up with another older chap who paid me the money and the deal was done in cash.

This was on a Sunday so no bank was open. I sent my wife and kids to the Mil with the money. I stayed at my neighbours keeping an eye out on the house.

Nothing ever happened and no surprises when checking MID the car never was insured again!

I never trade in always sell private. I fully detail the car and price it fair but well above trade in value. I stick to my price and give the timewasters mentioned above short shrift even telling some not to bother coming and wasting my time. Last car I sold was the Volvo 8 hours on ebay and it was gone. JSWMBO Fiat Punto I put it in Gumtree and it sold in 65 minutes at the asking price. I don't like giving money away so never trade but that said us Yorkshiremen do have a bit of a reputation for being tight with the purse strings

This does work both ways.
There are second-hand cars for sale - Often with obvious problems - Often at ridiculously-high prices.
When we bought the E430, (at 110,000 miles), there were all sorts of issues.
Issue No. 1 ... It was sitting on a pub forecourt with a mobile-phone number in the W/S ..... A bit high-risk.
Shabby front wings was a problem.
But - In addition - One of the tyres was flat - The dashboard fault lights were lit up like a Christmas tree - The front discs were corroded like hell.
The seller wanted £4000 !!
Well - Come on !!
I got Rodley Motors to scan it.
There was no shortage of fault codes.
I paid the seller £2000 cash - No warranty - No come-backs.
It cost me a grand to get it diagnosed and repaired.
It needed the front brakes re-fitting (not a disaster).
It needed two ABS sensors and a new ABS ring.
That fixed all the running issues.
A year later it had two new front wings.

Five years on and 50,000 miles later, we've still got it.
It turned out to be a good buy - But I could have got my fingers burned.
I made an honest offer - Probably about what it was worth.

Sometimes - It's fair to haggle.

Likewise - Us Lancastrians !!
:D
Ha! I' m half Yorkshireman and half Lancastrian so doubly hard to deal with! I think what hacks me off is the badgering to reduce the price solely so that the purchasers profit can be increased.Very patronising to be told blatant lies as a way of negotiating. Never been desperate to sell anything so I tend to ask a reasonable price(and Ive been around long enough to know what a reasonable price is) and stick to it. I can understand why people sell to dealers and trade in cars. Equally when I want to buy something priced reasonably I dont haggle either.

The worst I had was on ebay.

Selling a set of Hamaan BLACK 22" wheels with tyres.

I included a full set of Colour photos showing the inside and outside of each wheel and tyre. Along with the description which simply said "Hamaan 22" Black Wheels & Tyres"

The winning bidder (Buy It Now) then emailed me via ebay to try and get the price down saying "I didn't realise they were black"

Doh !!!

Years ago, I was selling the dragon's car. A young lad came round with a mate who 'knew about cars'. I'd been honest over the 'phone in describing it, and the only undeclared fault they could find was that "the carburettor sounds funny"...

Years ago, I was selling the dragon's car. A young lad came round with a mate who 'knew about cars'. I'd been honest over the 'phone in describing it, and the only undeclared fault they could find was that "the carburettor sounds funny"...

I had someone come and have a look at my ML420 CDI with his 'expert' in tow and asked when the cambelt had been changed... I said its chain driven..."oh, have you converted it from a belt"....

Bahahahah

Were your next words 'Please go away now' ?

Bahahahah

Were your next words 'Please go away now' ?

I just stood there shaking my head, I wasn't sure if they were really that thick or taking the piss.

The next two minutes gave me the answer. They were just thick.

I tend to buy my cars cheaply with high mileage , look after them myself and potter around with them . Generally I tend to keep them until no longer economically viable then either break them myself or give away to friends for parts .

A couple of times , when a new car I couldn't pass up on has arrived on the scene , and one has to go to make storage space , I have given away a perfectly good car to family members or friends .

I can't remember when I last sold a car for money .

Same here. Only ever traded-in my cars in the past 20 years. Selling privately seems like a major hassle.

The last tome I tried selling a car privately was in the nineties.

First caller asked if the price was negotiable. I said No. He then asked me very many questions, all of which were answered in full. He then offered half my asking price. I said No again, and he hung up.

Second caller asked if the car had alloy wheels. I said it didn't (they weren't that common back then). He asked 'how come it does not have alloy wheels?'. I had no idea how to answer this question.

I ended-up trading the car in and have done so with every car since.

Always sold privately. No hastles. Priced keen, below dealer price but well above trade in. Don't mind knocking a bit off as usually I have another purchase lined up. Trade in seems too complicated to me as it mixes 2 transactions and I like to have the sell and next purchase as distinct transactions

Trade in not the best, but at least you don't get F*^%#*g odd balls round your house to view the sale , who look as though they are going to come back later that night and give you some grief , F@@@@@g Pikeys , sorry , only speaking
from my last experience . Sorry if I have offended the travelling community
.:eek:

I very rarely buy cars from dealers, so trading in is not an option. I've never had any major hassles selling on eBay or through Gumtree, apart from the odd timewaster. EBay is cruel, though; you find out what your car is REALLY worth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom