Making Drain Bolt for ATF Change 722..6 (One for BlackC55?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silver_star

Leicestershire, England, 3rd Rock From The Sun
Car
W203 C220CDI Auto Elegance
Just reading the thread on the ATF change Ollie wrote. I have changed my ATF before, however I only changed 4 litres, then another 4 a few thousand miles later.

I am looking to make one of the drain tubes Ollie made as is pictured in the thread. I am just a little confused as to how it works and it's design.

I can see it is an old banjo bolt, with what looks like an air line fitting (or similar) fixed into it then a length of hose attached with a jubilee clip.

So I take it the head of the bolt has been drilled through to allow the ATF to pass through into the hose? However in the photo the modified bolt and hose look to be attached with the metal cooler pipe....I'm just struggling to understand how it drains with the cooler pipe attached via it's banjo bolt if that makes sense?? :dk:

Does the left cooler flow towards or away from the transmission?

Do you have a link to the thread?

A PM to Olly is the obvious answer?

(Bolt will have had a hole drilled through it using a Pillar Drill!) ;)

Thats my point. I am struggling to understand how it drains with the cooler pipe AND hose connected to it.

Oh, I see. As suggested above, he must have drilled a hole through the head and bonded (glue/weld?) the fitting on.

I had kind of guessed that the head needed drilling to fit what looks an airline PCL type male fitting. However, in the picture of it draining, the banjo bolt is clamping the cooler pipe to the gearbox casing.....this is the bit I don't understand. Esentialy it looks like it has been "Teed" off. I would have thought the cooler pipe would need disconnecting.

We drain them from the return line, no need to use a banjo, having a hose just makes the job a lot cleaner if you dont have a telescopic oil drainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom