Making Ignition Leads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

Has anybody made up their own Ignition/Spark Plug leads?

I need a set for my 300TE but want to add some colour (Green) and not the traditional black (off the shelf) ones.

I can buy a drum of Green HT Cable but it does seem a faff? Anybody know who sells made up leads in colours?

Friends

Has anybody made up their own Ignition/Spark Plug leads?

I need a set for my 300TE but want to add some colour (Green) and not the traditional black (off the shelf) ones.

I can buy a drum of Green HT Cable but it does seem a faff? Anybody know who sells made up leads in colours?

Yes, these people do:
Home : Magnecor

Positive write-ups from the USA. Anyone tried 'em? I've had black Beru ones for the last 6 years.

RayH

I made up some myself (20 years ago...), the cramping of the connectors to the wire didn't really work, you need a proper industrial machine and not one of those DIY manual cramping tools. That was my experience anyway. Good luck...

I use this place for making motorcycle ignition leads. They have all the end fittings but it doesn't look like they have green cable.

Ignition Accessories

merlin motorsport do, or used to anyway.

You could just put a cable wrap over the existing black leads so that they're covered with green.

Bruce, give my friend Phil at Magnecor a ring. All of my cars have his leads on. You cannot beat them. They dont look totally OEM but quality is fantastic.

Im not sure about green as they do Black, Blue or Red in order of thickness AFAIK but they may make you a custom set if you ask.

Home : Magnecor

Bruce you need the right fittings for the end of the ht leads .And to fit them on nice and tight like they should be , then you will need to purchase the right tool that cost £200 Bruce i went all through it to make them for myself and as a spare time hobby .But after i found the parts [all screw on by the way] and took the cost in hand, i left the project . Right now i still have the old ht leads in place .There is a chap on ebay that makes them to order , thats close to my location in Worcestershire.You tell him the colour and they are made to fit your engine spot on ... .The fittigs i have seen are ancient like they are made to fit the old mini distributor .Our ht leads click on and off and have a spring inside the plug cap,, and the distributor that grip the top of the spark plugs ,,and the distributor poles ..I think only place i come across the screws were on amazon. But i found google very helpfull and i had a lot of information about them of there .It will be an interesting project .

The chap on ebay that builds the leads to your reqierment is MR -RETRO -LEADS So on ebay put the item number in the search box 122198683163 . And Telford is his location , not Worcestershire ,,but i was close .Only the other direction lol .. All colours that you would like, just drop him a line....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom