Making wireless home network more secure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Just watching a program that suggests most wireless networks can be broken into in around 7 seconds....

Now we use wireless for 2 x iPhones and at least 2 laptops.

I did have trouble setting up security as we have Mac and Pc's. In the end I lock down by mac address and have kept it this way for years.....

Ok wired is better but not a sensible option as we do use the laptops all round the house.

What can I do to make it better??

It's a sky (netgear) box that we use. Watching the program if banks cannot get it secure then I have little chance but surely we could make it better?

128 bit encryption is not the easiest thing in the world to hack and to be honest it can't be done by your average joe! There is a massive amount of scare mongering when it comes to wireless but all big businesses will tend not to use it when it comes to highly valuable data.

To be frank whether its wired or wireless if its connected to the internet someone in the know can hack it!

If you are really concerned about internet security the best thing you can purchase as a home user is the Yoggie Gatekeeper pico. Wasting your money with the likes of Norton etc does no good at all and anyone in the know will tell you the safest way to protect yourself security wise on the internet is to have a computer that deals with security which is basically what the gatekeeper is, a mini computer that hides the computer it is attached to effectively protecting your data etc...

As with everything to do with security internet and real world if some wants something they will find a way around the security somehow to get what they want so nothing is full proof

Can you "see" any open networks from your house? If so, then you'll probably be left alone anyway.

I agree there's a lot of scaremongering about this - if you live in a block of flats with a very transient population, then that's probably a bit risky, but a house in a urban area, where you know your neighbours, is much less of a risk. Even if someone does use your broadband connection, it's another step altogether to access your computers.

Anyone trying to hack through your wireless connection (as opposed to your Internet connection) will have to be very near your house.

And, as said, breaking WEP or WPA encryption, while doable, is not very easy.

In short, I can't see a reason why anyone would go to all that trouble just to hack into someone's home network. If they are after a free Internet connection, all they have to do is drive around and pick up an unsecure signal (of which there are quite a few).

So unless you have a reason to believe that you will be targeted - i.e. you are a celebrity etc - I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that you covered the basics, i.e. set the encryption and use a rather long alphanumeric password.

I agree if someone wants to they will get in....

The program made it look so simple to access my information....

I can probably see nearly 10 wireless networks at any one time. None are left open and live in a normal residential area close to a city.

Fact it the program goes on about banks and the like being hit so little I can do if they can access those such companies. It's more identity fraud that concerns the average bod.

Just thought if there are some simple steps then I would try and implement my theory being they would choose someone easier....

Thanks

A lot of IPS now provide the wireless router preconfigured with WPA2 and the password key on a card or on router. BT homehub does. I rarely see unProtected networks.

A lot of IPS now provide the wireless router preconfigured with WPA2 and the password key on a card or on router. BT homehub does. I rarely see unProtected networks.

I have 2 BT ones that show up, although one is Fon - where the router has 2 "sides" one secure and one open.

I can access my next door neighbour's router at full strength (both detached houses) and I know the password as I set it up. :)

But a BT homehub in its default setup also allows any other BTinternet account holder to use your wireless access point. :crazy:

But a BT homehub in its default setup also allows any other BTinternet account holder to use your wireless access point. :crazy:

Very smart concept from BT's perspective.

Get the customers to pay out for ADSL services then piggy back public services on that infrastructure.

BT end up with a pervasively deployed public wireless network without having to invest in the hotspots.

If you plan to use your device to purchase stuff or conduct internet banking etc you would be mad not to use WPA2 encryption, a good firewall, an Anti Virus product with the latest signatures also have your operating system patched.

I have a son who surfs the usual social networking sites and downloads music and video like there is no tomorrow - this system is air-gapped from any system which may hold any sensitive data.

I saw the program on TV last night and yes it does give a bleak and dark future however, identity theft is on the up and much of the time sheer ignorance of the threat and your system vulnerabilities is the cause.

Ever googled yourself?

It doesnt matter how much effort you put into security, ie ipsec tunnel inside wpa2, if your end point does not have a secure system, your still open.

The easiest way - and this is a serious suggestion - is not to use wireless

Nick Froome

And, as said, breaking WEP or WPA encryption, while doable, is not very easy.

I'm sorry but that is simply not true.

Breaking WEP takes anywhere between a few seconds and a few minutes. It is trivial. There are a few automated toolkits that will do this for you, and having 2 wireless cards makes it even easier/faster.

Breaking WPA is not so trivial, but not overly challenging either.

WPA2 offers "sufficient" protection to most users... but WEP does not. WEP is long deprecated, and easily broken by even the most novice of script kiddies...

M.

Just use wi.dows 7
Its so complicated and fragmented to use its difficult to connect to my own network even having the passwords.

One area people do ignore is the router. Little point having good encryption if you can log in to the router with admin as defaul or sky, ?

Cables are the best solution.

Do you mean the FON system. To access my router to change it you need the code on the back as your password etc.

It doesnt matter how much effort you put into security, ie ipsec tunnel inside wpa2, if your end point does not have a secure system, your still open.

Sorry for sounding thick but what is an end point?

Do you mean the FON system. To access my router to change it you need the code on the back as your password etc.

Sorry for sounding thick but what is an end point?
Mark means your PC.
Well patched, updated, employing a good AV product (updated) is the basic starting point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom