Malicious damage - bizarre incident this afternoon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6cyl

Car
CLS320 CDI
Wife came back from shopping, Noticed driver's side wiper was off the screen. She thought someone had stolen or attempted to steal the wipers. Car had been parked in a leafy Surrey residential road.

I took a look and found the wiper arm had been bent back. On closer inspection I saw there was a 1 inch crack in the windscreen and some crushed glass. I summise a miscreant had used a long metal tool, like a screwdriver and had tried to lever the wiper arm off. Now, I've tried to bend it back, it looks better, but the wiper is still 1/4 inch of the screen.

Any one else suffer anything similar ? I couldn't see any other damage like scratches ...

Last edited:
Maybe a leafy Surrey resident took offence?

I've had a couple of MB bonnet stars pinched over the years.
Fortunately no damage done.
Fortunately - Nothing worse.
Perhaps I shouldn't speak too-soon.

Perhaps - why mine amongst all the other MB and Bentleys, Jags, etc ?
The person who did came equipped with tools to do it.
Can't be for a single wiper conversion, as they have 2 now.

If you remove the wiper blades and release the arms, the springs have enough power to chip the windscreen.

They stole the blades and let the arms hit the screen but then lifted then again?! No CCTV around?

V12, the blades are still there. They're hanging 1/2 inch from the windscreen now :-(

No excuse of course but by chance did your wife park maybe a little too close to a leafy Surrey driveway slightly blocking access by the occupants leafy Bentley?

No excuse of course but by chance did your wife park maybe a little too close to a leafy Surrey driveway slightly blocking access by the occupants leafy Bentley?

I would not have thought an outraged resident would have damaged a wiper as retribution, even if such things happen in leafy Surrey (surely not...); a long, deep scratch would surely be favourite? Sounds more like an attampted theft to me, too.

I would not have thought an outraged resident would have damaged a wiper as retribution, even if such things happen in leafy Surrey (surely not...); a long, deep scratch would surely be favourite? Sounds more like an attampted theft to me, too.

That was my line of thought as well - why bother with the wipers when scratching is faster and easier. It does sound more like they were after something else rather than plain hate damage

There is a bloody great big nut holding it on. If the person had any sense at all, it would have been a lot more productive (for them) to simply take the cover off by hand, and undo the nut, then take the wiper arm away. :doh:

That was my first thought as it happened to me many years ago. No attempt to steal the wiper arms was made, they were just twisted out of shape:mad:

All fixed now. I ordered a new wiper arm from MB. £55.
Autoglass put in a new screen. Impressed with the care they took.

This sort of malicious damage wouldn't happen in leafy Liverpool!!!.

Thats right, they would take the car and the wiper arm is all they would leave behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom