Man asked wife to take points; foolishly divorces her!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tim.100

Car
202&463
and gets charged. After nearly 9 years.

Good outcome, albeit slow and very expensive indeed.

What next, Energy Secretary? Porridge is good for you.

There'll be no prison for him , the old boys network will kick in.

He'll get a tiddley fine.

As William Congreve put it "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"
or as Essex Police might say " You're nicked sunshine"

PCJ is a serious offence and if found guilty both Huhne & Pryce should be looking at jail sentences. Ordinary members of the public have been convicted of PCJ offences in points swap cases and have been jailed. If convicted & not jailed it will raise more than eyebrows...

Eye brows may be raised, but just as it's not automatic jail for any of us, neither should it be assumed it will be different for them.

He must have seriously peed his ex wife off for her to drag it up after all this time. Must have got himself a younger woman, that usually does the trick

renault12ts said:
Eye brows may be raised, but just as it's not automatic jail for any of us, neither should it be assumed it will be different for them.
True, but the Sentencing Guideline recommends a minimum sentence of four months per incident, so there will have to be significant mitigating circumstances to avoid jail completely.

I know loads of people that have swapped a three pointer, even as a birthday present.

It was speeding, a technicality, nobody was hurt, not much of a crime, for someone to lose their career over something so minor beggars belief. A case of disrespect for the law being 99% of the problem and the crime itself being a comedy infraction. (80+mph on a motorway if memory serves).

Basically nobody with half an ethical thought process respects the laws of speeding, their arbitary nature make the law into a joke. Dangerous driving, jumping lights, there are plenty of reasons we should be keen to control the way people drive but ten mph too fast(?), is exceeding the speed limit always serious? It isn't. The only way we can make people take speeding seriously is by being disproportionate. Some law. It is all about control.

As for perverting the course of justice. It has to be justice for it to be perverted. Can you imagine Huhne lying under oath? I can't, we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There is no proportionality. Justice tempered with kindness is much preferable to ruling with a rod of iron.

Where is the natural justice in a minor infraction snowballing into a personal tragedy? I know honesty is the best policy but dishonesty over a minor matter should be a minor issue. Rigid values, uncompromsing positions they dehumanise us.

It is 'rules is rules' gone mad!

Not sure what I think about this one. Yes it's concealing a minor offence however it's a complete two fingers to the law

He must have seriously peed his ex wife off for her to drag it up after all this time. Must have got himself a younger man/woman, that usually does the trick

Edited due to old fashioned ignorance, thanks neilrr

id hate to be a politician.... or any executive for that matter... the news recently just makes me cringe... people losing their jobs for nothing... what is this country coming to.. people need to chill out..

id hate to be a politician.... Or any executive for that matter... The news recently just makes me cringe... People losing their jobs for nothing... What is this country coming to.. People need to chill out..

+1

It is 'rules is rules' gone mad!
I tend to agree with your sentiments regarding the gravity (or otherwise) of a minor speeding infraction but, unfortunately, Mr Huhne and his buddies - i.e. Parliament - have decided that it's a heinous crime that must be punished. As breaking the speed limit is so prevalent they also decided that some form of automated detection wheeze was required so as to be able to detect as many offences as possible and then punish the miscreants involved. Trouble was, the whole system relies on an element of self incrimination (despite the weasel words to the contrary) which those "fingered" were likely to try to avoid, so then there had to be a bigger sanction applied to those who don't willingly "fess up". And that's where Mr Huhne now finds himself. Or, more correctly, will find himself upon conviction.

One has to address the question of what makes an otherwise law-abiding person (even an MP :rolleyes:) so willing to take steps to avoid punishment for a "crime" that they have allegedly committed. One unavoidable possibility is that they feel the punishment is unjust.

As an aside, as both Huhne and Ms Pryce have been charged with PCOJ on the basis of the latter's evidence that she did not commit the offence, presumably she can at least claim back the £60 fine she paid :D

All politicians must be trusted by the public,to be seen openly trying to pervert the course of justice is totally unacceptable for a public figure. Whilst the speeding offence is trivial the PCJ offence is not.

All politicians must be trusted by the public,to be seen openly trying to pervert the course of justice is totally unacceptable for a public figure. Whilst the speeding offence is trivial the PCJ offence is not.

The law makers must be beyond reproach, they can't legislate on how the rest of us must behave and then attempt to cheat the consequences when they err.
Hulme is such a preaching, sanctimonious bag of wind, IMO one of the worst across the whole house, of course he's innocent until proven guilty but rather like John Terry, should be removed from the limelight until that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom