man gets arrested for taking picture of own daughter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why didn't it just go like this ...

Guard "Sorry Sir, you cannot take photos in here as it's against centre policy"

Father "Away an boil yer heid"

Guard "You wantin a Glesga kiss?"

Fixed that for you.

What happens if you secure your own personal image rights ?

Why didn't it just go like this ...

Guard "Sorry Sir, you cannot take photos in here as it's against centre policy"

Father "OK, I was taking a few photos of my wee girl. Didn't realise that was a problem"

Guard "OK, don't take any more or I'll have to ask you to leave the centre"

I suspect that's exactly how it would have gone under normal circumstances. For it to have gone any differently, there must have been some aggravating circumstances on one side or the other.

They ask to see ? Do you show?

They ask you to delete ? do you delete?

You refuse one or both of the above and it becomes a demand? Do you comply?

I doubt they'd have asked to see the photos or request that he delete them. They have no powers to do that, and they would know that. I suspect he would simply have been asked to stop taking photos.

Also let's not forget that the report states that concerns had been expressed by the staff at the place where he was taking the photos, so they security guards would have been responding to an alert, and not just acting on their own initiative.

From the BBC article

"Chris White took a picture of Hazel eating an ice cream in the Braehead shopping centre, near Glasgow.

A security guard told him it was illegal to take pictures in the centre."

WRONG - it is not 'illegal' to take photographs in the centre , only in contravention of the centre's private little rules - all they can ask you to do is either stop taking photographs or to leave .

Later in the same article -

"Mr White said that one officer claimed that under the Prevention of Terrorism Act he was within in his rights to confiscate the mobile phone on which the photos were taken.

He said the police officers took his details and he was eventually allowed to leave."

Police have no power to confiscate equipment or to require images to be deleted . They do have the right to ask you to identify yourself , what you are doing , and to see images taken on digital equipment where they can be played back on the spot . Unless you are found to have been taking indecent images , invading someone's privacy or photographing something security sensitive such as MOD property , they can take no further action .

No one can stop you taking photographs in a public place , nor can they stop you photographing most things that can be seen from a public place ( there are a few exceptions ) . You can photograph anyone you like in a public place and do not need their permission - this includes police officers and security guards , even though some of them will try to tell you otherwise . No one has any right to privacy in a public place .

Not everywhere accessible to the public , however , is a public place - shopping malls are one example , and the owners are entitled to prohibit any activities they wish which can include such things as smoking , running naked through the premises , or photography , but none of these things is actually illegal and you cannot be charged or punished for doing them , beyond being asked to desisit or leave .

I , too , have visited Braehead on many occasions and have not noticed any signs prohibiting photography . Under Scots Law , signs carry no weight in law until they have been brought to your attention .

It doesn't matter what He was taking pictures of, the law says no pictures are allowed.

Not the law , just the management of the shopping centre .

as meaningful as it would be if they stipulated you could only get in if you wore pink trousers .

Another Glasgow shopping centre ( Buchanan Galleries ) tried to impose a 'dress code' when they first opened and security were refusing entry to people wearing jeans , trainers , T-shirts . It wasn't law , nor did it last long .

Going off on a slight tangent...

As Paul Simon noted, "paranoia strikes deep in the heartland..."

Only last weekend I called in at Tesco to fill up the car and my regulation green plastic 5 litre can with petrol for the lawn tractor.

Before I had got in a couple of litres, the pump switched off and a member of staff rushed over to see what I was up to. No aggro and perfectly polite, but another example of rules is rules. :(

Have a good time..

I remember last year going into a supermarket filling station to fuel the car ; I also had a small petrol generator and a jerrycan in the boot which I placed on the ground to fill .

I proceeded to fill the jerrycan , then when I went to fuel the generator the pump turned off and an announcement over the PA " you can only fill one container " , so I put the jerrycan and the gene back in the boot . I then went to fill the car's tank and she turned the pump back on - only it cut off at £100 , leaving the car only 3/4 full , apparently the max they will dispense in one go . After that , I went into the supermarket and did some shopping , when I came back out , I went back into the same petrol station , topped off my tank and fuelled the generator without her saying anything !

Crazy or what ?

Arrest me!!

I drove to London on Sunday and played the tourist on Monday.

After the first photo in St Paul's I was gently asked not to take anymore, but I'd paid £29 for the privilege so took a few more including that one of the dome. I then moved on and was not challenged anywhere.

The last one is just for the record...includes negotiating London traffic!!

Attachments

• phpnmlGLLAM (1).jpg
    phpnmlGLLAM (1).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 51
  • phpWgoMV6AM.jpg
    phpWgoMV6AM.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 50
  • phpOhT8UpAM.jpg
    phpOhT8UpAM.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 50
Some more

Attachments

• phpQ2NFfgAM.jpg
    phpQ2NFfgAM.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 51
  • php0CN0HTAM.jpg
    php0CN0HTAM.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 51
^^ Did you notice the lean on St Stephen's tower?

^^ Did you notice the lean on St Stephen's tower?

No...I was waiting for a cop to ask us to stop taking photos, so didn't take much notice of the tower with the clock (what do they call the clock?). Even the guy at the gates of Downing St., with the gun, had no problem. But, then, why would he?

(what do they call the clock?).

Don't think it's got a name as such - most people just refer to the whole thing as Big Ben. Even the tower is officially just called "The Clock Tower".

Hope you visited Little Ben as well...

Don't think it's got a name as such - most people just refer to the whole thing as Big Ben. Even the tower is officially just called "The Clock Tower".

Hope you visited Little Ben as well...

...no time...a whistle stop tour I'm afraid. Most of London seems to be dug up...preparing for the Olympics no doubt.

...no time...a whistle stop tour I'm afraid. Most of London seems to be dug up...preparing for the Olympics no doubt.

Probably more to do with the water mains replacement programme; or the redevelopment of Victoria Underground station; or preparation for CrossRail; or just general roadworks...

This is silly. If a genuine terrorist wanted to take photos of the ice cream stall - there are many ways of taking photos and not be detected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom