MAN HITS LAMBORGHINI WITH HAMMER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Tyrrell's Classic Workshop

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was taught to never hit the face of one steel hammer with another steel hammer. Two hard faces impacting each other is bad practice. He later uses a drift, which is what he should have used at the start. Then goes back to belting f@ck out of that planishing hammer. He can stay the heck away from my tool kit.

In his defence, he says exactly that before doing it. It is indeed bad practice, but sometimes you have to improvise when a job is not going to plan.

I'm sure he won't be at all interested in your tool kit 😆

Reactions: 219
I remember one vintage mechanic who revealed his favourite tool for many dismantling jobs was the 5lb hammer! When I queried this he replied-"It's not the tool so much as the man wielding it" ;)

We used to hit 14lb hammers against each other to get huge steel pins out of the machinery we used.
Did it for years and years with full force, occasionally a 28lb one came into use.
Nothing untoward ever happened.

We used to hit 14lb hammers against each other to get huge steel pins out of the machinery we used.
Did it for years and years with full force, occasionally a 28lb one came into use.
Nothing untoward ever happened.

Hammers can chip (especially the cheap ones) with the associated consequences.

Hammers can chip (especially the cheap ones) with the associated consequences.

Like I said, nothing ever happened, no flying shrapnel, no explosions, no cracks, nothing.
Over 15 years we've been doing it.....yes we've all heard the " you shouldn't do that" quote hundreds of times, but our real world experience has shown us that its fine to clobber them together.

Boy am I glad that wasn't me :cool: Point taken about hitting hammers, but "A" there didn't appear to be much choice, and "B" I doubt there were any cheap tools involved. So the guy paid over £1m for it, then took it away to be restored ? As much as I adore the Muira, there's something amiss here !

I imagine with automotive works of art like the Muira you are well into the "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it "territory-- whether buying or restoring?

Like I said, nothing ever happened, no flying shrapnel, no explosions, no cracks, nothing.
Over 15 years we've been doing it.....yes we've all heard the " you shouldn't do that" quote hundreds of times, but our real world experience has shown us that its fine to clobber them together.
Must be good quality - I've seen them chip.

People buy lottery tickets every week and win zip!

You may well be right of course, but quite an assumption on your part nonetheless.
I didn’t see it as an assumption but more of a pi$$ take.

If the same conversation was between a few of my mates in the pub it would be classed as a pi$$ take. If a mate got offended by that, well.......

I didn’t see it as an assumption but more of a pi$$ take.

If the same conversation was between a few of my mates in the pub it would be classed as a pi$$ take. If a mate got offended by that, well.......
Offended? Nah... not in the slightest.

What surprised me more than the (mis)use? of the hammer was the blowtorch. I'd have thought that either an induction heater or oxy-acetylene torch would have localised the heat a lot better.

What surprised me more than the (mis)use? of the hammer was the blowtorch. I'd have thought that either an induction heater or oxy-acetylene torch would have localised the heat a lot better.
I'm guessing that it was a butane torch which would have a cooler flame than propane or acetylene???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom