Man jailed for using speed camera jammer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Slammer for jammer

A driver has been jailed for two months after using a laser jammer to avoid being caught by a speed camera.

Nicholas Burke, 46, used the device to scramble a signal from a police safety camera van on the outskirts of York in February 2018.

Officers estimated his car was travelling in excess of the road's 60mph speed limit.

The former car salesman admitted perverting the course of justice at York Crown Court.

The jammer, mounted beneath the grill on the front of Burke's company car, prevented a speed reading being taken.

Its use activated a code on the camera that indicated to officers an illegal jammer was being used.

Doesn't a member on here have one of these but thinly disguised as a garage door opener?

Mr Burke?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
No but I don't recall who exactly it was, I remember a lot of ;) going on while he sniggered about his clever scheme. I bet he's not so smug now.

Yup there have been a few posts from owners of these here.

It's one thing using a speed camera alert like a Tom Tom , but jamming a laser is just stupid and anyone doing it really should think twice.

Last edited:
It's one thing using a speed detector like a Tom Tom to get a camera alert

To be accurate, a TomTom isn't a detector ... it just tells you that you're approaching the position of a known camera site. Detectors pick up the RADAR/LASER emissions from a speed camera, so will warn of both fixed and mobile traps (but normally too late to avoid you being nicked :D).

To be accurate, a TomTom isn't a detector ... it just tells you that you're approaching the position of a known camera site. Detectors pick up the RADAR/LASER emissions from a speed camera, so will warn of both fixed and mobile traps (but normally too late to avoid you being nicked :D).

You're correct. I've edited my post to make it clearer:)

Back in the day, I was standing at the side of my work motorbike, pointing an LTI 20/20 at oncoming vehicles in a 30 limit. It was early, and a glorious day, hardly any traffic about. I saw a Porsche 996 (a lovely Targa!) approaching at a fair old lick. I pressed the trigger on the LTI, but it wouldn't return a reading. I tried again....and see 'JAM' on the readout. So, I step into the road and pull laddo over. I could see the little transmitter just to the side of the front plate, so without beating about the bush I told him that he was under arrest for perverting the course of justice. He blustered a bit, then, as expected, claimed it was a garage door opener, although he couldn't really explain why it was operating when he was so far from home. I then told him that, while we waited for transport to the nick (no pillion seat on my Pan Euro! :D) my colleagues would shortly be en route to his place to check his garage doors to confirm that he did, in fact, have such a system installed. At that point, he crumbled. This was at a time when discretion was available to bobbies - I told him that if he removed the jammer there and then, I'd de-arrest him and send him on his way with a flea in his ear. He borrowed my Leatherman multitool, cut the wire to it, unscrewed it from the front of the car, and then stamped on it a few times, rendering it fubar! I did point out to him that, as he lived in my force area, the chances of him being checked out over the coming months to see if he'd bought and fitted another were quite high. :)

Pete

Interesting that this guy is in prison and drivers who are drunk or cause a accident by careless driving are not put in prison,it would confirm the thoughts that deprive the police/government of a fine and you are for the high jump.

I'd agree with you, but perverting the course of justice is particularly frowned upon in court. Stopping the police from doing their job isn't recommended.

Interesting that this guy is in prison and drivers who are drunk or cause a accident by careless driving are not put in prison,it would confirm the thoughts that deprive the police/government of a fine and you are for the high jump.

It's more to do with the fact that the offence committed when 'jamming' is 'perverting the course of justice', which is deemed to be a very serious offence indeed - it carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment!

Pete

^ So have I.
I still got caught by a camera coming over the brow of a hill once and ditched it straight afterwards.
By the time Road Angel has detected the laser, the laser has detected your speed.:doh:

Yup detectors made some sense with RADAR as there was more 'scatter', which you could pick up even if you weren't being targeted. But as you say, with LASER a detector simply tells you that you've been nicked :D

Almost word for word what I was just about to post. Seems money's more important in the eyes of the authorities.

I do not accept that drunk drivers or those who carelessly cause accidents are not imprisoned. Plenty are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom