Managed to impress myself on Friday. MPG thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
Well, I had to endure to trip to Devon and back at the end of last week, on Friday. Started with a brim filled tank and pressed the reset button before I set off.

Car is an '01 E320 W210 Est with 150k on. Petrol engine.

1 hour through the centre of London from Canary Wharf to the M4 took 1 hour to travel the 15 miles, and it was the same on the return journey. This was painful.:( Lower Thames Street is an awful place to have to drive.

The rest I was able to drive more like a normal member of society moreorless sticking to the speed limit on most of the journey. Got bored with that for the last 30 miles in Devon and travelled at my normal motorway speed. :eek:

Filled the tank up after the computer advised I had travelled 510 miles with 65.01 litres of fuel. (The estate only has a 65 litre tank) so that is 14.3 gallons which means I averaged 35.6 mpg for the entire tank full. That's inc 2 hours in stop start traffic jams averaging 15mph.

The MANY 50 and 40mph zones on the M4 helped.

Here's a photo of part of the trip, it got as high as 36.8, but as I was stuck for a while it dropped to 36.7 so I got the photo whilst it was still looking good.

Is this a good result, or am I just easily impressed and have low expectations?

Car%20Mileage1.JPG

Thank you, I'm happy it's not just me. :bannana:

Gawd, I've clearly been brainwashed by the weekly motoring mags, but a few years ago I couldn't give a flying fig about my MPG figures. :mad:

considering it is a 3.2ltr straight 6 it is very good if not impressive!

I wonder my CLK 320 V6 can do any better.

It will be a V6 on that one.

Impressive MPG.

Ahh.. I see...if that's the case I am hoping the CLK320 would do better :D
Reason will be it is lighter than the estate? :D

Thats very good ...infact Bloody magnificent....noticed your temperature dot matrix display is playing up..

Yes, it is, and always has done during my ownership.

I've read that it's a simple fix, but it's not bothering me enough to spend the time or money to have it fixed.

Thanks all for confirming that it's a good result.

I use the motoring equivilent of the skateboard technique when I'm driving for MPG. So, I'm actually off the throttle more than I'm on it during the journey. Well, maybe not quite that far, maybe 50/50 ?

Now that's just showing off ! :cool:

Did you press the reset button at the top of a big hill or something? :p

I got 35mpg in a c230k 4cyl (1999) 5sp auto for a similar journey going from the Isle of Dogs to Brecon, Wales. In the e300d 6cyl (1994) 4sp auto the exact same journey to Brecon around 44mpg driving like a nun.
Les

Now that's just showing off ! :cool:

Did you press the reset button at the top of a big hill or something? :p

Haha! No, there is no skullduggery :)

And from the ave speed you can see I wasn't dawdling either.

Damn fine engine the 270, a good balance between powder and ecconomy

That great MPG from the 320 , that best Iv seen was 36 in the 200k .

Think mid-30's for a V6 3.2 is pretty good.
No wonder we aren't Great Britain anymore if 60% is good enough...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom