Management reset/mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin.dillon

Car
E320CDI Sport Estate
I have a '98 E300td estate which seems to average 25 mpg doing general city driving. The car performs very well, the gearbox changes seamlessly, it's been serviced & had the auto fluid changed. No difference.
However it did spend about 2 months with the box jammed in W position & thru info found here I freed off the switch plunger.
My point is - how long would it take the management system to relearn the driving characteristics once the problem was sorted?
Is it possible to wipe the learned data & start afresh?
Does the same apply to the gearbox management or is it all governed by the same system?

So many questions - so few answers!!

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Col :)

Hello Colin?.
Several folks on here, myself included, have reported thier cars as having completely new and different characters (usually more eager and agressive?) after coming back from sevice, usually A service. I supect the 'brains' you are talking are reset then. Did the Winter lock happen within a short space of time after the service?. I suspect if it did then the ECU, or whatever it is called, has been using that mode as a reference. Might just pay to ring the Dealers and ask but I think you are right in thinking everything can be re-set to the 'as shipped' mode or setting.

Portzy.

I had the gearbox adaption reset by the dealer last month. He explained to me that the system would be learning again for the next 2-3 occurrences of each change, ie 2 or 3 changes from 1st to 2nd, 2 or 3 changes from 2nd to 3rd etc.

I should really have asked him if this means that there is a rolling cache of the last few changes?

I think that is exactly how it works, which is why if you thrash up a couple of B roads then pull on to a motorway and want to cruise the gearbox sometimes get a bit confused!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom