Managing/Handling A Performance Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
It crosses my mind that I should have some instruction on how to get the best out of a 600hp 2 tonne road car.

Not for track days, but for fast road driving, within the speed limits of course.

What driving courses can anyone recommend, around the Midlands, or am I best trundling along to MB World for an AMG course?

I don't particularly want to use my own car either.

I'm interested in correct lines, braking points etc. - the usual stuff, to exploit those very rare opportunities where there aren't any cameras :rolleyes:

Thoughts please.

Ta :thumb:.

Any local town center retail park will, after dark, usually have some expert tuition of the type you desire. Can you handle a lowered a Nova with an ironing board strapped onto the roof?

Any local town center retail park will, after dark, usually have some expert tuition of the type you desire. Can you handle a lowered a Nova with an ironing board strapped onto the roof?
It's a called a Corsa now you dripping old fart.

It crosses my mind that I should have some instruction on how to get the best out of a 600hp 2 tonne road car.

Not for track days, but for fast road driving, within the speed limits of course.

What driving courses can anyone recommend, around the Midlands, or am I best trundling along to MB World for an AMG course?

I'm interested in correct lines, braking points etc. - the usual stuff, to exploit those very rare opportunities where there aren't any cameras :rolleyes:

Thoughts please.

Good idea John. I know a quite a few people who have very powerful cars but should really only be allowed to drive a a 1 litre Punto.

I wouldn't recommend Brooklands for that John. What I would go for is an IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists ) course. Many moons ago I use to be an instructor, they will take you on all types of roads and give you good instruction on the correct braking, lines etc, also it's best to use your own car John as you then get exactly the correct instruction. There is always one local to you.

Last edited:
Have a word with Chris A, he had some serious fast road tuition from an ex police driver, though it may have been up his way somewhere (E Yorks/Lincs). Absolutely swears by it and reckons it was well worth it.

I believe it covered track and road use.

I did one of the courses in Elvington, York - but that is with your own car.

I've found the rallying at Brands Hatch very good - its MSV so you can find a track more local to you that do the same - M4 Master would be more relevant and you don't drive your car.

Or Palmersport - which was a bag of sand but well worth it.

It's a called a Corsa now you dripping old fart.

I nearly said Nova the other day and I quickly realised Novas haven't been bought by yoofs for probably 20 years. :rolleyes:

Start at a young age in a weedy little car and work your way up to something tasty bit-by-bit and learn as you progress.

Oh, hang on...

Thoughts please.

John

MB world is brilliant I'm holding my team meeting there in September and have booked my team on the performance driving course.

I did it last September as part of a corporate day ex traffic cops for the fast road parts where they let you exploit the cars braking in safety, then onto the wet circle and skid control and then onto the track with pro race drivers.

For the track work I could not have asked for a better instructor I got Nico Rosberg :) then I realised just what a carp driver I am.

Its a really good educational course which I thoroughly recommend and why I am putting all my guys through it.

Ian

Can the Yadgar guys come down to ?

In my humble opinion, a two-pronged approach might be best.

A little track tuition would be good for learning the limits of braking, handling and general feel of your car with the added bonus of skid pan practice at some venues.

Some tuition (by RoSPA, IAM etc) on roads in relation to planning ahead, sight lines, positioning etc makes for more relaxed but enjoyable driving post training.

The thing to always keep in mind though is that a skill not practiced is a skill lost. Without continual practice, it is inevitable that the finer points will be lost over time. The beauty of road driving skills is that most can be practiced at entirely legal speeds and every time you drive.

For the track work I could not have asked for a better instructor I got Nico Rosberg :) then I realised just what a carp driver I am.

^ This, I had flirtations with open wheeled racing in my younger years, Formula First and Formula Ford mainly. Mostly at Brands Hatch.

I thought I was quite a handy driver, right up to the point you drive against someone who is genuinely talented and you then realise how ordinary you are.

There's a lot of carp written about F1 drivers. The fact these guys have reached this level though means they are all extraordinary compared to the rest of us on here.

So back to the question from the OP. You'd probably learn more on a skid pan course or a driver training day at your local racing circuit than you would at MB World (which is more about entertainment).

Do you ever remember the Top gear episode when they had a letter from a Scottish Lady called Jackie Stewart who offered to tutor Captain Slow around a circuit? Well it's that kind of tuition that teaches car control. You learn entry speeds, lines and braking points. It's that kind of thing that would be a good starting point. Then find a friendly advanced police driving instructor to teach you some road craft.

Wow!

That's unbelievable.

Not really it was a Mercedes F1 team day we are sponsors and MB' s largest supplier, Lewis was a no show but we were given the museum tour by Peter Bonnington MB's race engineer. Nico took me and 2 of my colleagues out in a CLS 63 one of the runs I was in the back never felt as ill in my life.

Not really it was a Mercedes F1 team day we are sponsors and MB' s largest supplier, Lewis was a no show but we were given the museum tour by Peter Bonnington MB's race engineer. Nico took me and 2 of my colleagues out in a CLS 63 one of the runs I was in the back never felt as ill in my life.

Sounds great Ian - what are you MB's largest supplier of?

I wouldn't recommend Brooklands for that John. What I would go for is an IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists ) course. Many moons ago I use to be an instructor, they will take you on all types of roads and give you good instruction on the correct braking, lines etc, also it's best to use your own car John as you then get exactly the correct instruction. There is always one local to you.

Hello Peter - I've passed my IAM, but my course had no reference to performance based braking points or positioning etc :dk:.

Lots of very safe "reading the road" stuff though.

Last edited:
Hello Peter - I've passed my IAM, but my course had no reference to braking or lines etc :dk:.

It wouldn't...IMO.

The racing line in a corner of a race track will be somewhat different to the line the IAM would advise. They would say move out in a corner to see further round it...not aim for an apex.

The IAM is about making safe progress...not about street racing.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with people wanting to get the best out of their high powered cars on the normal road. Track days yes...

Exploring the limits with no room for manoeuvre...shudder.

It wouldn't...IMO.

The racing line in a corner of a race track will be somewhat different to the line the IAM would advise. They would say move out in a corner to see further round it...not aim for an apex.

The IAM is about making safe progress...not about street racing.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with people wanting to get the best out of their high powered cars on the normal road. Track days yes...

Exploring the limits with no room for manoeuvre...shudder.

Look bro - I wanna go around dat bend on two wheels - wots wrong wiv dat? - you is so old skool bra...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom