Manifold protector instalation for OM642; V6 CDI 280 & 320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cobogol

Car
W209 320 CDI; S210 320 CDI
Hello,
This piece is placed in order to protect the inlet manifold servo. The inlet manifold servo is a well know breakdown in this kind of engines just only consult it on MB forums like this to confirm it.
The cause of this failure is the hot oil that falls down in the entry of air in the turbo. This piece protects the servo.
Valid for the V6 CDI diesel engines 280 and 320. (ML, CLK, E, C, R, GLK). Handmade piece in top quality aluminum and inox steel (304).
The estimated time is about 30-45 minutes. You will only need a screwdriver and a torx wrench.
Remove the engine cover, it is fitted into the lugs of the image

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 283
/ Remove the air intake duct, loosening the edges with a screwdriver and the front binding turbo and disconnecting the electrical connections

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 241
Place the accessory purchased and repeat the instracctions in reverse order

Attachments

• Manual_Motor_MV150_0007.jpg
    Manual_Motor_MV150_0007.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 262
unfortunately all the plate does is funnel the oil, you need to stop the leak, i have stopped the leak by installing the seal in the pipe with a smear of silicone on the outside of the seal.

I have a panty liner placed below the seal to catch any stray oil but so far it has stayed dry,

I have used this trick on 3 engines so far and not had a leak

I also have the swirl motor disabled with a resistor as per the Alex Crow solution.

Last edited:
It isn´t a heavy leak, you don´t loose tons of oil, but with this piece you protect the manifold without changing anything of the original design of the motor.

It drops thru the engine (on the rear part), avoiding the inlet manifold, and therefore it´s breakdown.

Isn't there a new rubber original part improved to avoid this problem? This is what the dealer told me the last time I had to repair the inlet manifold thing

Apparently there is a modified seal available, but as i said the standard seal with a smear of silicone around the outside does the job,

The catch plate is a waste of time, the oil will still drip on the motor which is directly below,
A panty liner is easier to fit and it will soak up the oil.

It isn´t a waste of time, it´s do the job, that is avoiding leak into the manifold.

Oil on the manifold isn't the problem,the electric swirl motor below the pipe is what fails due to oil seepage internally.

I think preventing the leak is the best option.

Do you sell the plate?

Last edited:
Exactly, and this plate protects the electric swirl motor. If you remove the plate after using it, you can check that the electry motor is dry!!
A friend of mine developed it.

If the seal is leaking then fit the modified seal that does not leak. Its only about £20

Could you please write the serial number of the modified seal or when you can buy it?
Thanks

[QUOTE=cobogol;1490655]Exactly, and this plate protects the electric swirl motor. If you remove the plate after using it, you can check that the electry motor is dry!!
A friend of mine developed it.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't agreeing with you, the plate doesn't stop the leak.

Either replace or modify the seal.

I assume you are not trying to sell on the forum?

I just want to help in a typical problem for this engine.

Place the accessory purchased and repeat the instracctions in reverse order

In theory it does seem like a good idea, i don't want to rubbish your idea and some owners actually use a reshaped aluminium pie dish, but it does not stop the oil dripping on the swirl motor.
The panty liner does the job on my car if any oil passes the seal.

Last edited:
some say it may be a band aid solution but having my seal replaced on the vito v6 om642 4 times under warranty it wasnt until l smeared a heavy bodied grease only then it stopped leaking now l have travelled 22,000km no problem .l believe the mechanic over tightens the clamp and leaks from there on .When l removed the seal there is evidence of damage. l was frustrated after the 3rd attempt that l would have used your protective cover. It runs down to the tranny and makes a mess,l rather wipe the cover than wash engine transmission and drive way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom