Manifold swirl flaps w210 e220 cdi facelift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harlowcabbie

Car
Mercedes e220 w210
Having what I think may he an issue with the manifold swirl flaps. I have recently noticed that the car seems abit reluctant on acceleration so thought I'd check all the usual suspects and whilst checking the manifold flap operation I noticed the bar wasn't moving at all when I rev the engine . Once the car cooled I managed to get my hand round and under the egr cooler and felt around the bar is connected and all looks ok when I checked using a mirror . Odd thing is when the car was cold and I started it the bar moves freely back and forth as I rev the engine .once hot it stops again now I was of the assumption it should operate regardless of engine temp and wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to the sensor that dictates it opening and closing as no cel lights present . Maybe just an out of whack sensor or something I hope someone has an idea or can tell me it's perfectly normal.

Hi had same prob about a month ago took it to my local indy he knew strait away what the prob was the flaps or whatever they are were stuck in the closed posititon anyway he took the inlet man of and managed to free without damaging them also fitted a new moter cost just over £400 he says reason mainly is not giving it enough welly car [e320cdi strait 6 car now runs fine so what I now do drop the tip down to 4th and give it a bootfull we are then flying [hope there is no speed cams about] my local indy is mercserve nottm they are very good

That's the thing though mine aren't stuck .when the engine is cold they move fine just when engines hot the motor stops moving them . This doesn't seem right so wondered if it could be a sensor that isn't triggering the motor to open them once engine warmed up .

Or is it a case that once the motor controlling the flaps gets hot, it gives up?

Harlowcabbie

Did you find out what was wrong? I know this post is old, but I have the exact same problem on my W210 E320 CDI
Was it a sensor? Was it the motor for the flaps?

BR Lars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom