Manners and youth lol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
I’m sure the above must have been discussed but working in the Retail and Trade business it seems tobe getting worse, lack of manners and whilst generally being around others eg going out shopping and getting randomly barged into.

My young boys all seem to be getting shouty as they get older and my tbh wife cops most of it.

We have tried and tried to show them how to behave and I think they are better than most but far from perfect.

People I serve on Our counter just bold in and say have got THE filter i ordered "for example"? Expecting you to know everything about "THE" filter without any introduction, explanation, details of vehicle etc etc, even though the person they are speaking to isn’t the one they originally ordered it with.

For example i wouldnt dream of going into Machine mart for example, bold up to the counter and Say have you impact driver i wanted to some random person serving lol.

I find Usually it's the 18 to late 30s age group and men, Women seem tobe more polite.

I had a Architect around today whilst I was at home, he must have been late 60’s but it was a breath of fresh air speaking to someone who was pleasant polite non intimidating just a normal understanding chap. A rare find these days i think.

Perhaps I’m old before my time at 42! but I find people 40’s onwards are more likely to be pleasant and polite to those around them.

I was told to be polite and treat people how i wish tobe treated, along with being honest and tolerant of people with a lesser grasp of the above.

My parents had me later than most and i was brought up around similar aged people as my Mother and father, Dont get me wrong i was far from a angel but i respected them and learnt what was right and wrong.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule or is it because as i get older myself im becoming more grumpy LOL.

Anyway i just wondered what other's opinions are?

Gav:D

I work part-time in retail and must say "youth" and "manners" are very much mutually exclusive. Rude and ignorant just about covers it
I ignore anyone addressing me as "Oi, you!" and politely tell others not to interrupt whilst I'm serving a customer

Over the last few months I have had 2 younger guys visit my office to discuss business, I was surprised at their level of politeness and how generally well mannered and respectful they were.

If I'm honest it was a breath of fresh air to chat with them without the posturing and game playing that the older guys bring to such meetings.

There are arrogant, rude people of all ages, just this morning a 'lady' neighbour in her late 50s deliberately drove through a puddle and soaked me and my dog.

It's not just youth. What hacks me off is being in a queue at the supermarket while:
1. The cashier, usually a woman of any age, gossips to a "colleague" over everyone's shoulder while robotically swiping the purchases over the scanner.
2. The customer, usually a woman of any age, ignoring the cashier and the rest of humanity, is locked into her (sorry, but there we are) dumbphone.
3. Both of the above are going on at the same time. At this point I often lose the will to live.

It's not just youth. What hacks me off is being in a queue at the supermarket while:
1. The cashier, usually a woman of any age, gossips to a "colleague" over everyone's shoulder while robotically swiping the purchases over the scanner.
2. The customer, usually a woman of any age, ignoring the cashier and the rest of humanity, is locked into her (sorry, but there we are) dumbphone.
3. Both of the above are going on at the same time. At this point I often lose the will to live.

Especially when the customer (usually a woman) now has to pay and then starts grovelling in her bag for the "exact change" or her/his credit card.

Charles Dickens writes extensively about how the world is going to hell because of the behaviour of the "youth " it was ever thus. And yes it is because he, you and me are getting old. I would also point to the complete lack of respect with which I see old people treat the young. What goes around.

It is not only the yoof.

The number of men I see walking through a door ahead of their wives etc......We seem to have lost all sense of respect for others and any form of good manners, table manners and chivalry. It is the thin end of the wedge - let the little things go and the bigger things follow.

Call me old fashioned but I still open doors for women, stand when a woman walks into the room etc. Women seem to appreciate being shown a little respect

I’m pretty sure that every generation since the year dot has said that about the next generation.
I recall my grandad saying it in the late 70’s. He said that the youth had no respect because they’d never caught it a war.

A badly written post about the poor communication skills of others.

Rock hurling by the amply fenestrated - best avoided.

A badly written post about the poor communication skills of others.

Rock hurling by the amply fenestrated - best avoided.

Apologies , You are correct Sir Grammar is certainly not one of my strong points.

While there are a fair number of genuinely ignorant people in the world, I suspect that quite often when people pitch up at a counter to collect something they’ve ordered, they've played part of the intended conversation in their head before they start speaking, and the first words they utter are part way through the sentence they think they’ve been speaking.

I used to work with a woman who was a great Finance Manager, but had a reputation as being rude amongst those who didn’t know her that well. The reality is that she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, but she was one of those whose brain ran ahead of their mouth and she would often start a conversation by speaking a sentence from half-way through. Often that meant that the “Hello, can you help me with,” start of the sentence was completely missed, and instead her first spoken words would sound like a particularly brusque demand.

To be fair "old" people aren't much better in the manners department. It seems to me that the older people get the worse their manners become.
Some of the old boys in my local are unbelievably rude. I’m afraid the line “because I’m a pensioner” isn’t an excuse.

Charles Dickens writes extensively about how the world is going to hell because of the behaviour of the "youth " it was ever thus. And yes it is because he, you and me are getting old. I would also point to the complete lack of respect with which I see old people treat the young. What goes around.
While there are a fair number of genuinely ignorant people in the world, I suspect that quite often when people pitch up at a counter to collect something they’ve ordered, they've played part of the intended conversation in their head before they start speaking, and the first words they utter are part way through the sentence they think they’ve been speaking.

I used to work with a woman who was a great Finance Manager, but had a reputation as being rude amongst those who didn’t know her that well. The reality is that she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, but she was one of those whose brain ran ahead of their mouth and she would often start a conversation by speaking a sentence from half-way through. Often that meant that the “Hello, can you help me with,” start of the sentence was completely missed, and instead her first spoken words would sound like a particularly brusque demand.
\

or she was rude.....in her role she should have been able to communicate respectfully.

I can't accept as a generalisation that all young people are impolite but I do agree that they have to be taught manners and as some one already said it's the little things that count. So who is going to teach them.

There has been a modern trend that a schools sole focus is on exam success when they should also be teaching old fashioned life skills often in the absence of guidance from parents. I've mentioned before that at the school where I work we have tried to address this by getting people opening and holding doors for each other and by that I mean pupils for staff, staff for pupils and everyone for each other. It's about mutual respect. I won't pretend that we have more than 60-70 % success but that's still quite an achievement that is having a positive impact on peoples well being. A smile and a thank you always could make someones day and it still can no matter how cool you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom