manual 6 speed gearbox oil change on 2013 w212 e220 cdi amg sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kendog91

Car
W212 E220 CDI AMG SPORT
does anyone have any information/ links on how to change the gearbox oil as i am unable to find any relevant information regarding a manual gearbox oil change, they all seem to be for auto's

Well look up how much oil your gearbox takes and then undo the drain plug at the bottom of the box it may have a magnetic end check to see if there are any metal flakes on it,buy a new washer for this plug,remove the filler plug which will be around halfway up the box and the oil you have bought will be in plastic bottles with a spout just pour squeese the oil into the filler hole,until you have the right amount of oil in the box,refit filler plug and thats about it.if you are doing this on your driveway try and get the car up and level and also make certain the container you have to catch the old oil is big enough.

Well look up how much oil your gearbox takes and then undo the drain plug at the bottom of the box it may have a magnetic end check to see if there are any metal flakes on it,buy a new washer for this plug,remove the filler plug which will be around halfway up the box and the oil you have bought will be in plastic bottles with a spout just pour squeese the oil into the filler hole,until you have the right amount of oil in the box,refit filler plug and thats about it.if you are doing this on your driveway try and get the car up and level and also make certain the container you have to catch the old oil is big enough.
You must always remove the filler first. If you remove the drain first, then cannot remove the filler you are stuffed.....

ive been told there is no benefit to changing the oil, is this true?

ive been told there is no benefit to changing the oil, is this true?
Manual gearbox oil usually lasts for a very long time.
I would only change it if there was a significant deterioration in the "feel" of the gear-change.

I don't think there is any service schedule for changing the manual gearbox oil -- maybe that is what you have heard?

I did change the oil in my C220 manual gearbox -- probably the same gearbox as yours.
I thought it was easier to change gear afterwards but that could just have been in my mind.

I also changed the back axle oil in all my cars -- there definitely wasn't any noticible difference apart from the little warm glow of smugness !!??

I've thought about doing my manual box and the diff as it's nearing 70,000 miles. The oil in both is thinner than you might think. The diff oil spec is clear enough and easily obtained in the form of 75W85 TITAN SINTOPOID FE or Gulf Syngear PC 75W85. The gearbox is less straight forward as it takes a very thin oil of ATF like viscosity. I think it's important not to use ATF though as you need a proper Manual Transmission oil with the correct friction modifiers. There are very few options with Castrol FE 75 being the only one that I've been able to find.

Stevq,

Curious to know what oil you used and how tight you found the filler and drain plugs to be.

I've thought about doing my manual box and the diff as it's nearing 70,000 miles. The oil in both is thinner than you might think. The diff oil spec is clear enough and easily obtained in the form of 75W85 TITAN SINTOPOID FE or Gulf Syngear PC 75W85. The gearbox is less straight forward as it takes a very thin oil of ATF like viscosity. I think it's important not to use ATF though as you need a proper Manual Transmission oil with the correct friction modifiers. There are very few options with Castrol FE 75 being the only one that I've been able to find.

Stevq,

Curious to know what oil you used and how tight you found the filler and drain plugs to be.
i will keep you posted as the job is this weekend.

Hi,

I used Fuchs Sintofluid 75W 85 which is a specific gearbox oil. Although that oil doesn't actually say it is approved by MB it is API GL- 5 spec which is the MB requirement.
I struggled to find the correct oil spec and quantity. Probably because there aren't as many manual Mercs around and even fewer owners who will be interested in changing the oil. I did find an MB document which had the required spec details.

The drain & filler plugs were tight but not as tight as the back axle equivalents. They are an unusual (big) sized hex (allen) keys. I seem to recall that the filler and drain bolts are different sizes so you need different hex key sizes -- I am not certain about that though.

The gearbox takes 1.5 litres - again, at the time I did find a document that stated that. You could check the quantity that comes out and put that amount back in. That is measured rather that filling it until it overflows. You will need some sort of pump. I use a large syringe looking manual pump with a flexible plastic top that has a half litre capacity. That makes measuring what goes in quite easy. Although doing it without spilling any while lying on your back under the car can be a challenge !!

I did the change at 60,000 miles and about 2 years ago. At the time I thought the gearbox was a bit 'notchy' and sometimes hard to get into first. After I did the change I thought that it improved the gearbox feel.

For the rear axle , I used Fuchs Sintopoid FE SAE 75W-85. That takes about 1.2 litres and is fill until it starts to come back out the filler. Fill it slowly after the first litre as that spec oil is very messy if there is a spill (and quite smelly too).
I used the pump from above.
The drain & filler plugs are very tight -- I think I have done that job on four MBs and they were all the same. You need some kind of breaker bar. Most importantly, as was said above, remove the filler bolt first. They are an unusual (big) sized hex (allen) key.
One of the cars I did had twin exhausts and one of the exhausts blocks direct access using a hex socket and breaker bar. I had to use a flexible adaptor and thought it might break under the strain -- it was OK though.

Reactions: 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom