Manual Gearbox and Rear Differential Oil for 906 Sprinter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonnypitlad

Car
Sprinter
2017 314CDI W906 with OM651 engine
mbepc. net lists
Transmission Manual type 711680 capacity 2.1ltr
Rear Axle. type 741423 capacity 1.5ltr
I want to change oil on gearbox and rear differential but I’m going round in circles trying to find small quantities of MB Approved Lubricants
I’ve tried UK companies listed on bevo, Fuchs, Shell, BP, Castrol, GB oil checker sites
Does anyone know of a reliable source for the correct MB Approved lubricants for my vehicle
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• D3EA847C-EFEA-4CA3-A43D-2C43ED828E9B.png
    D3EA847C-EFEA-4CA3-A43D-2C43ED828E9B.png
    832.4 KB · Views: 12
As it's not a regular service item and has a long interval between changes I'd get the oil from a dealer.

Lubricants are currently difficult to source due to refinery shutdowns during Covid taking time to come back on-stream. This may be contributing to your problem.

What's the problem?
The major oil companies can recommend you their synthetic brands that meet the MB Bevo list.
Just give their respective customer hot line a jingle.
Tuercas Viejas

Thanks Tuercas
I’ve tried several major UK oil suppliers/ manufacturers websites, all do not list a product for my specific vehicle “ not enough information, please contact technical team”
They all state that they do not have a product
I’ve contacted my local MB parts department who suggest I bring my own containers to fill from their bulk supply, but I don’t have confidence that their bulk supply will be the correct specification for my vehicle if the oils are so unique
MB over engineering again?

OK
What your preferences as far as brands are concerned ?
Shell, Castrol etc & are you in the UK or where?
For the rear axle because I am in the US, I use Valvoline Syn Power 75/140 full synthetic gear oil for all Sprinters .
Tuercas viejas

Thanks Tuercas
I’ve tried several major UK oil suppliers/ manufacturers websites, all do not list a product for my specific vehicle “ not enough information, please contact technical team”
They all state that they do not have a product
I’ve contacted my local MB parts department who suggest I bring my own containers to fill from their bulk supply, but I don’t have confidence that their bulk supply will be the correct specification for my vehicle if the oils are so unique
MB over engineering again?
Is this 'uniqueness' identified or identifiable?

Selecting suitable oils for gearboxes and diffs is usually pretty straightforward. Firstly, select the appropriate viscosity grade, second, choose GL5 (IIRC) for diffs and GL4 for gearboxes (unless with all steel synchro in which case GL5 can be used).
The main difference is that GL5 compared to GL4 has more anti-wear additive based on sulphurous compounds which attack yellow metals (eg, brass synchro cones). Unless a diff specifies avoidance of GL5 (possible brass bushings) then GL5 is the choice and for gearboxes all steel synchros are a rarity so GL4 is chosen.
If you can match the specified oils by GL classification then plenty suitable oils should appear as candidates.

Unless either the diff or gearbox (or both) have some other feature making lubricant selection super critical, the above should be all you need to know.

Is this 'uniqueness' identified or identifiable?

Selecting suitable oils for gearboxes and diffs is usually pretty straightforward. Firstly, select the appropriate viscosity grade, second, choose GL5 (IIRC) for diffs and GL4 for gearboxes (unless with all steel synchro in which case GL5 can be used).
The main difference is that GL5 compared to GL4 has more anti-wear additive based on sulphurous compounds which attack yellow metals (eg, brass synchro cones). Unless a diff specifies avoidance of GL5 (possible brass bushings) then GL5 is the choice and for gearboxes all steel synchros are a rarity so GL4 is chosen.
If you can match the specified oils by GL classification then plenty suitable oils should appear as candidates.

Unless either the diff or gearbox (or both) have some other feature making lubricant selection super critical, the above should be all you need to know.
Well that is what the Bevo list is for
BUT here is a link to simply locate the brand, weight & GL spec.
T/V

That looks like the certification number of the oil submitted for test.
Gobbledegook
I will have to go and look.
T/V

Wow! Thanks guys for all of your interest
You may be experiencing the problems I’m encountering in trying to source small quantities of the correct specification oils
I’m located UK
I prefer Fuchs oils
Valvoline EU website oil finder is limited to passenger cars and classic cars .... no information on Sprinters
Fuchs oil finder gives the names of oils for my gearbox and rear axle but they’re not commercially available in small quantities
I’m waiting for a response from a local oil distributor who stocks Fuchs oils, he can’t help with Fuchs oils but says he’ll phone a contact he has at Mercedes, quote my VIN to get the correct oil specification then use a cross reference to find substitute MB approved oils
I’ll advise his company name and phone number if he “ comes up with the goods”
It may be of use to other UK forum members
Fingers crossed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom