Manual offside mirror for my 88 W124 230CE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vmaxjude

Car
1995 R129 SL320
Hi all. Some cormorant clipped my mirror (the missus parks her W203 estate on the front hardstanding) and the glass is flapping around in the housing - it's attached at the left side but seems to have popped off the central ball joint. Does anyone have one of these (must be for the coupe) or know if the glass can be reattached. Can't find one on eBay and they're £250 from Merc. Cheers.

Would've thought that the coupé 124 mirror would be the same as any of the other W124 models, which should be the same as a 201 (190/E/D) mirror :)

Worth checking out, should open up your search a bit - plenty of used ones in scrapyards these days, or eBay etc - £20-30 or so should cover it.

Hi all. Some cormorant clipped my mirror (the missus parks her W203 estate on the front hardstanding) and the glass is flapping around in the housing - it's attached at the left side but seems to have popped off the central ball joint. Does anyone have one of these (must be for the coupe) or know if the glass can be reattached. Can't find one on eBay and they're £250 from Merc. Cheers.

What color do you want? I've got a few....

Will - found out that the mirrors for the coupes are a slightly different shape than for the saloons and estates (and the 190E) as the windscreen on the coupe is at a different angle.
Carat 3.6 amg - you would save my life. Just plain black please if you have one (but I could switch over the cover). Must be a manual one for a pre-facelift coupe. Many thanks!

How much of a difference are we talking, and which part? Is it the plastic cover or just the rubber bit for example? If so these could be easily transferred over from the old mirror - got to be worth a look rather than spending £250 on a new one :)

You might be right mate, dunno. I suspect it could be just the rubber triangular bit that connects the mirror housing to the door, but it could also be the frame that the rubber covers. I could buy a cheap shabby saloon/estate mirror to find out, but I'd be wasting my money if they weren't compatible. Worth a gamble I suppose, unless anyone out there knows for sure??

I've just checked the mirrors that I have in the shed, the difference is the shape of the rubber mounting where it bolts to the door. I had never noticed that before.

Oh poo. Never mind. Time to bite the bullet, sell a kidney and darken Merc Croydon's parts department door again...

Will the glass not clip back in? Or is the mirror adjuster broken? Just wondering if you can use parts from a saloon mirror to repair yours...

Last edited:
Have you checked on ebay? there are quite a few coupes being broken for parts at the moment.

I'm checking eBay regularly. Nothing so far. Might be an idea to contact the breakers individually. It might also be worth taking my mirror to bits to see if I can fix it, or buying a cheap saloon mirror to cannibalise it. Got some time off over Chrimbo to explore options.

Hi

I bought one of the blue heated ones on e-bay for my 300te. It is a sticky backed one. I think it was 6 GBP. To be honest it is as good as the OEM.

IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE MIRROR HOUSING---- ITS ALL ONE UNIT the problem is altho it's "sprung" its effectively only in one direction-towards the rear any movement bending towards the front results in fracture of the small articulating castings inside the mount- and no you cant buy replacements separately. Inside the mirror housing there are 2 units one-- the reflector adjuster -- manual or electric and two the mirror[ heated reflective unit ] itself. They used to be available separately from MB the heated reflector merely clips onto the adjuster via a central pivot and two adjusters and a short sliding guide. You simply have to lever it off using a broad flat lever and all will become clear . Its not clear from your description exactly which part of the mirror assembly is broken.

Thanks Graeme. All it looks to me is that the mirror glass has popped off the central ball joint, but I can't be sure. The mirror was obviously clipped from the front and pushed back the way it is not designed to. I've tried pushing the glass back on to the ball joint, but it won't go with gentle persuasion and I'm worried if I push too hard I'll break the glass...

It needs a fair old push to seat the mirror on the ball. If you use the heal of your (gloved) hand I think it very unlikely you'd break the glass. I have used genuine mirror glasses from manual & electric OS W124 / W201 mirrors if you find need one.

These retaining clips are surprisingly strong but do go brittle with age . Personally I would advocate levering off completely the mirror with some form of broad spatula device. this will let you see the orientation of everything underneath and give you the confidence to apply more force exactly where its required. The secret with trim is use soft surface tools and spread any loads as much as possible. Alternatively get a hold of a replacement and by studying the rear see how it clips on. this might help LHD but principles the same. click on the thumbnails to blow them up a bit.

W124 Outside Mirror Glass Replacement (1987 300D) - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

RHD OS W124 / W201 mirror - back.
fjjpn6.jpg

Neil - you were spot on mate. I pushed the mirror glass back on with firm uniform pressure (with a glove on, just in case), and hey presto, it went back on and it's working fine again. This shows the benefit of this forum. I could quite easily have gone out and spent a fortune on a new mirror. Thanks very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom