Manually Operating R129 Hood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian11

I need to 'synchronise' my hood but don't have the manual...I'm using [R129 SL] Electric Window which is helpful but could someone give me more specific directions to unlock and raise the tonneau cover?

A mechanic pal suggested I just unhook the battery for 5 mins but I'm nervous that will confuse the Mercs little 1994 brain further.

"Syncronize windows as in the above procedure, but in addition up will have to manually raise the soft top. NOTE: REMOVE KEY FROM IGNITION WHEN RAISING HE TOP MANUALLY! This procedure is in the owner's manual, but basically you have to open the lid (boot) with combination allen/open wrench that comes in tool kit. Raise lid, carefully pull the soft top up and out and fasten (lock) the front of the soft top to the windshield - using the allen/open wrench."

Thanks

Ian

(These r129s are a staggering amount of fun for the money. They *must* start appreciating soon)

Have you seen the various R129 videos here:

R129 Disassembly Videos - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

There are quite a few covering the hood, don't remember offhand whether the sync. is in there or not though.

I downloaded & saved all the videos some time back as they are handy to have and you never know how long they will be online (although I think at least some of them are on Youtube now).

Regarding the battery, I disconnected the one on my '97 for several hours without any ill effects. Didn't do what I'd hoped though (clearing some 'false alarms' on the rollbar/windows) :(

Thanks Bill

Apologies for not looking properly in the first place...!

Jealous pangs for your SL...mines the caveman 93 model

I've had this happen a couple of times where the battery was removed, the hood would generally get halfway through and then stop.

I then continued the process manually (it tells you how on the sleeve of the tool, which I still have), and then done a cycle on the switch to make it re-learn.

I can scan the tool sleeve tomorrow, this tells you exactly what to do.

I've had this happen a couple of times where the battery was removed, the hood would generally get halfway through and then stop.

I then continued the process manually (it tells you how on the sleeve of the tool, which I still have), and then done a cycle on the switch to make it re-learn.

I can scan the tool sleeve tomorrow, this tells you exactly what to do.

Old thread, but I don't have this tool, and I suspect it would make sense to sort that issue before I need it, rather than on a rainy night in Georgia, as it were. Anyone any ideas?

Jon

Old thread, but I don't have this tool, and I suspect it would make sense to sort that issue before I need it, rather than on a rainy night in Georgia, as it were. Anyone any ideas?

Jon

Best get onto your nearest dealer. It's quite a specific tool and I'm not aware of any other option.

Best get onto your nearest dealer. It's quite a specific tool and I'm not aware of any other option.

Fair enough. I just thought it might be a ring spanner / allen key combination or whatever that I could substitute from the toolbox.

Thanks

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom