Many 2017 Mercedes sat in a field for 12 months?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure that the market is slow currently.
It isn’t, and yet prices are high despite over-production, because the manufacturers are choking supply to inflate prices…

It isn’t, and yet prices are high despite over-production, because the manufacturers are choking supply to inflate prices…
As I understand it there’s a shortage of new cars due to the problems with obtaining silicone chips for ECUs, people have extra cash having spent nothing on holidays and eating out for over a year and used cars are being actively pursued by dealer groups.
That’s why I don’t think that it’s a slow market and the precise reason why prices are high, did you expect them to be low under such market conditions?

The stockpiles are nothing new, most 3 to 5 + years since being set up and maintained ever since. The stockpiles are not reducing, because the market is being distorted to maintain prices. The chips shortage is circa 1 year old. I expect prices to stay high because artificial shortages at the retailers are being created and maintained.

If there were real market shortages then there would not be tens of thousands of nearly new and 1 to 3 year old cars spread in stores across the UK.

Nobody expects there to be shortages when there are tens of thousands of cars available, unless they are deliberately not being sold to keep prices high. Basic supply and demand, too much money chasing too few goods = price inflation = higher profits for manufacturers = ripped off consumers.

The stockpiles are nothing new, most 3 to 5 + years since being set up and maintained ever since. The stockpiles are not reducing, because the market is being distorted to maintain prices. The chips shortage is circa 1 year old. I expect prices to stay high because artificial shortages at the retailers are being created and maintained.

If there were real market shortages then there would not be tens of thousands of nearly new and 1 to 3 year old cars spread in stores across the UK.

Nobody expects there to be shortages when there are tens of thousands of cars available, unless they are deliberately not being sold to keep prices high. Basic supply and demand, too much money chasing too few goods = price inflation = higher profits for manufacturers = ripped off consumers.
To coin a phrase, it is what it is.

Can you think of any reason why dealers are paying over the odds for used stock?

Indeed my 2019 E class estate is now worth £500 less than I paid for it last year, in a few weeks I might have zero depreciation!

Hi , as I have stated previously their will be considerable crying when the bubble bursts !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom