Many years ago on the A2 into London........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pauld

Car
SL55, ML55, 500SL, 450SL, Jeep Sahara
It was a beautiful summers evening before all the speed cameras (must have been 7-9 years ago) the road was pretty empty, and I was caning it up the A2 coming into London. Those of you that drive the road will know it goes from 'normal' motorway type road where there are open verges and good views to 'condensed' road with concrete walls on both sides and really becomes a high quality dual carriageway.

I'm not sure if I could remember my actual speed but it was probably around 110 and I'm on the open motorway section about 3-4 miles from the concrete section and I've got the roof down in a 500SL. I've been driving up the M2/A2 for about 30 minutes so far at a pretty good clip. I look in the mirror and (I check my mirror every 15 seconds by instinct) my heart drops...about a mile back I can see flashing alternate headlights trying to get past the guy in the fast lane...and I think what the hell am I going to do. Given my speed I'm likely looking at a ban. The only time in my life I decide I'm going to see if I can get off the road rather then pull up. I know there are three exits all close to each other when you get into the concrete section...and because they're on corners anyone not close cannot see where you've got off. So I floor it away and drop to the inside lane. The road corners to the right near the first exit and I put on my left indicator as I go round the corner. I floor the car and pull half a mile down the road and come off the second exit and turn left on the roundabout that heads towards sidcup I think. I'm now in suburbia and doing 40 heading down a dual carriageway heading towards another roundabout.

I watch the mirror and about 25 seconds after I've joined the dual carriageway I see flashing blues and flashing headlights come off the roundabout behind me and following me down the road. My heart almost stops, I think I'll keep driving at 30 and wait for them to pull me over. The flashing lights get closer and closer and as I get to the roundabout they get on top of me....and go straight by in an area car Rover, It was a different cop car. My heart starts beating again and I get off the roundabout and pull over and just sit in the car for 10 minutes to calm down before I felt safe to drive again.

I've never done over 100 since (I've driven at 100) and I would never try to pull off again....it was just a spur of the moment thing.

Paul

Last edited:
pauld said:
It was a beautiful summers evening before all the speed cameras (must have been 7-9 years ago) the road was pretty empty, and I was caning it up the A2 coming into London. Those of you that drive the road will know it goes from 'normal' motorway type road where there are open verges and good views to 'condensed' road with concrete walls on both sides and really becomes a high quality dual carriageway.

I'm not sure if I could remember my actual speed but it was probably around 110 and I'm on the open motorway section about 3-4 miles from the concrete section and I've got the roof down in a 500SL. I've been driving up the M2/A2 for about 30 minutes so far at a pretty good clip. I look in the mirror and (I check my mirror every 15 seconds by instinct) my heart drops...about a mile back I can see flashing alternate headlights trying to get past the guy in the fast lane...and I think what the hell am I going to do. Given my speed I'm likely looking at a ban. The only time in my life I decide I'm going to see if I can get off the road rather then pull up. I know there are three exits all close to each other when you get into the concrete section...and because they're on corners anyone not close cannot see where you've got off. So I floor it away and drop to the inside lane. The road corners to the right near the first exit and I put on my left indicator as I go round the corner. I floor the car and pull half a mile down the road and come off the second exit and turn left on the roundabout that heads towards sidcup I think. I'm now in suburbia and doing 40 heading down a dual carriageway heading towards another roundabout.

I watch the mirror and about 25 seconds after I've joined the dual carriageway I see flashing blues and flashing headlights come off the roundabout behind me and following me down the road. My heart almost stops, I think I'll keep driving at 30 and wait for them to pull me over. The flashing lights get closer and closer and as I get to the roundabout they get on top of me....and go straight by in an area car Rover, It was a different cop car. My heart starts beating again and I get off the roundabout and pull over and just sit in the car for 10 minutes to calm down before I felt safe to drive again.

I've never done over 100 since (I've driven at 100) and I would never try to pull off again....it was just a spur of the moment thing.

Paul
Had something sort of similar in france, went past a police car at 107mph, my girlfriend said its the police looked in central mirror they were flashing me. My heart sank and i felt shakey all over, I carried on to see if they gave chase luckly they didn't. Did sit at the toll though needing toilet big time!

mercedes lover said:
Had something sort of similar in france, went past a police car at 107mph, my girlfriend said its the police looked in central mirror they were flashing me. My heart sank and i felt shakey all over, I carried on to see if they gave chase luckly they didn't. Did sit at the toll though needing toilet big time!

Thats that "Oh Sh*t" feeling, quite common when you see Police cars and you are over the limit. :eek: :eek:

Brian WH said:
Thats that "Oh Sh*t" feeling, quite common when you see Police cars and you are over the limit. :eek: :eek:

Or driving on a country road in N Wales, being stuck behind somebody doing 40 whilst you were having a bit of fun with a BMW in front and a Lexus behind and you round a bend onto a *long* straight that is perfect for overtaking and as you pull out to overtake, you spot the SCP Camera Van halfway down the straight and you know that you are *way* over the limit ...

... yes, Brian, I know that feeling :rolleyes: :crazy:

(It is 14 days ago this Sunday, so fingers crossed nothing arrives in the post tomorrow or Monday :) )

Flyer said:
Or driving on a country road in N Wales, being stuck behind somebody doing 40 whilst you were having a bit of fun with a BMW in front and a Lexus behind and you round a bend onto a *long* straight that is perfect for overtaking and as you pull out to overtake, you spot the SCP Camera Van halfway down the straight and you know that you are *way* over the limit ...

... yes, Brian, I know that feeling :rolleyes: :crazy:

(It is 14 days ago this Sunday, so fingers crossed nothing arrives in the post tomorrow or Monday :) )

Monday is Bank Holiday - Will that help??? Good Luck Mate. ;) ;)

On the subject of brown pants (leathers actually) -

Trying to max out my Ducati 750SS (good for about 125mph) by slipstreaming a BMW K1200 (big fat barge good for 160mph) on a nice quiet N-route. Got it to 130 when we spotted the bike Gendarmes behind a bush about 200 yds ahead. Barely time to sit up, when we realised they were waving their arms pretty vigorously. Oh dear oh dear - this is it then. Then we saw they were waving and cheering.

Honestly.

We did it on the peage after that, but it was never the same ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom