Map update stuck at 18%

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lucibv

Car
E class w213
Hi everyone, I'm new to Mb club recently purchased a Mb E 220d (w213-2107) with COMAND and I notice that I have an update for maps but from when I collect the car last week up until now the update is still at 18% . And the SD card is missing phone the dealer told about this and told me that I don't need a SD card and the update is goiy to be done through the sistem. Is that true or I need n SD card? Also I'm trying to connect my phones wi-fi to COMAND to use my data for internet in the car. I tried everything and didn't manage to do it . Can anyone help me with this .
Thank

Hi everyone, I'm new to Mb club recently purchased a Mb E 220d (w213-2107) with COMAND and I notice that I have an update for maps but from when I collect the car last week up until now the update is still at 18% . And the SD card is missing phone the dealer told about this and told me that I don't need a SD card and the update is goiy to be done through the sistem. Is that true or I need n SD card? Also I'm trying to connect my phones wi-fi to COMAND to use my data for internet in the car. I tried everything and didn't manage to do it . Can anyone help me with this .
Thank
Try going for a long drive to see whether being online kickstarts it back into life. If it’s not changed after that the take it back to the dealer you bought it from, if it’s not working then it’s their’s to fix.

Did you buy it from a main dealer? If so then that should help to diagnose and fix the fault more quickly as they will have access to tools and information required to diagnose.

Ok thanks for help. But by chance do you know if that car it should come with as card for satnav??

Ok thanks for help. But by chance do you know if that car it should come with as card for satnav??

Is your E class the new facelift? (2019 model onwards)? It would ne helpful to know as this will indicate which version of the Comand online system that you have.

Only the Garmin map pilot with audio 20 uses the SD card. Which is what I have in my 2017 C300.
SD card systems don't do an update in the normal sense.
All the data is stored and read from the card with nothing being stored on the command system.

If it is the new facelift model as I suspect (2019 onwards) and you have COMAND then yes it should update the map 'over the air' via the 4G Module in the car. If you look on your Mercedes Me App/Portal you should have the update service available to you and enabled, the map update only runs when the car is being used, when you switch it off the update pauses and then resumes when you're using the car again. Going out for a long drive may be helpful in an area with good network coverage as others have suggested, especially if you're doing short runs at the moment. The only caveats with the updates on the newer COMAND system is that it only updates the map for the region the car resides in (I think it is UK, Iceland and Faroe Islands). This is because the entire European Map is over 40GB and is not feasible to transfer over the 4GB module due to its size. The entire European map and also the smaller regional map updates can also be downloaded manually from your Mercedes Me Portal, put onto an SD Card or USB Memory stick (64GB recommended by Mercedes for the entire map) and updated manually by plugging it into the car.

I've just picked up my new car (2020 C Class), below is a picture I took the other day of my car updating the map over the 4G module whilst sat on my driveway. If your system is the newer COMAND system like mine it should be the same.

IMG_20201124_132302.jpg

Is a 2017 E220 d

Thanks, I didn't realise the 2017 E Classes had the newer system. I thought it was 2019 onwards for all models. I previously had a 2018 C250d that had the older system which did not have over the air update capability. In your case you have the same system as me so it should work the same way as I described above. On your picture I can't see the symbol for 4GB connectivity (as it is on mine) so potentially your car may have the 3G module in it being a 2017 model which may also be contributing to its slowness. Mercedes do say that the update occurs over a period of time and is dependant on signal coverage and how frequent the car is used.

Well the dash was changed on the newer cars,but the op says his screen is saying 18% and seems to be stuck so I would say it does not need a SD card like the earlier models ,its good point about giving the car a decent drive because sometimes the cars systems are triggered by what it believes is a low battery and so it stops downloads,in most cases there is nothing wrong with the battery,but give the car a run.

Looking at your dash you only have two bars with EE,so as above give it a run,if that fails to get it to update take it back and get the garage to do it.

Well the dash was changed on the newer cars,but the op says his screen is saying 18% and seems to be stuck so I would say it does not need a SD card like the earlier models ,its good point about giving the car a decent drive because sometimes the cars systems are triggered by what it believes is a low battery and so it stops downloads,in most cases there is nothing wrong with the battery,but give the car a run.

Looking at your dash you only have two bars with EE,so as above give it a run,if that fails to get it to update take it back and get the garage to do it.

I don't think it is necessarily 'stuck' as I said previously it can take a number of days for the update to complete depending on how frequent the vehicle is used and also signal coverage. The photo I took on my first post was actually taken yesterday and according to the Mercedes Me portal the update kicked off on the 14th November, it didn't reach 83% until yesterday. This is because my car hasn't been used as often as it is normally due to working from home. I wouldn't necessarily compare your phone signal strength to that of the module in the car. I believe Mercedes use Vodafone to deliver their Mercedes Me services to the car so comparing it with EE is a bit like comparing apples with oranges as signal strength in certain areas can vary from provider to provider. It would be helpful if the system had a separate signal bar for the module in the car on the display. I'd recommend giving it a good run out and if the % doesn't change then the OP can manually update the map himself by downloading it to a USB flash drive from the Mercedes Me Portal.

The Barr signal is from my phone dose the map update takes my phone signal and use it or is the sim card that the car has bold in? I let the car run for like 30 min and nothing happened still at 18 when you're saying a good run how long you mean to?? The update in the car started In march after Mercedes me portal.

But what about connecting my car WiFi with my phone to use my phones data. Anyone have any ideas how to do it??

Do you have the map update option on your Mercedes me portal account? If so use that to create a stick to use in car.

The Barr signal is from my phone dose the map update takes my phone signal and use it or is the sim card that the car has bold in? I let the car run for like 30 min and nothing happened still at 18 when you're saying a good run how long you mean to?? The update in the car started In march after Mercedes me portal.

No the map update is done via the 3G/4G module in the vehicle, it doesn't use the data connection on your phone to perform the map update. If you were to disconnect your phone via bluetooth the map update will still work. As for how long to run your car I don't know as it depends on factors such as the signal in your area, if you are consistently in an area with poor coverage this may be the reason. As I mentioned previously mine kicked off on the 14th November and it has taken a week and a half to get to 83% so obviously it takes long than 30 minutes but again this depends on how often you use the vehicle. I would say that March is too long assuming the car has been used regularly and the network coverage is good.

No don't have any options. I will take the car in to be checked and I will keep you updated

Are you logging in via the Mercedes Me App on your phone or computer? You will need to log in via your computer https://id.mercedes-benz.com/ciam/auth/login#/ once logged in click on 'My Mercedes Account' > My vehicles > then select your car. It should bring you to the vehicle status page. Scroll down and you should see 'online map update' underneath Mercedes me connect services (below is a screenshot of my vehicle status page). Click on that and it should bring up a window, click on manual updates and you should see all of the current map updates for each region/country. There is also a link to a PDF in that window which explains how to update the system and the requirements.

1606410587702.png

Last edited:
i have a s500 1999 from japan
i need now a navigation cd dvd
cd is not deliverd whit it
i need support please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom