Map updates at 12 month service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harniman

Hi,

I've only owned a merc for 1 year so I'm not familiar with service schedules.

My w212 eclass (bought new last March) had its first service this week at 9500 miles - only an a-service.

Dealer did not update the maps even though electronic service schedule says they should be done if not done recently. They have not been done since manufacture - so more than 12 months. That is not "recent" in my book.

Is this normal of dealers and is it MB policy - they claim it is.

Dealer is Mercedes Brentford.

It ties up a servicing bay for a couple of hours, so they're loath to do it unless pressed - and IIRC Brentford do not have the best reputation.

Look on the Comandonline website to see what is the latest map version available for your system, they will also be able to tell you how to find out which version you currently have installed. You then have all the info you need - if there's a newer version available, you should insist that Brentofrd install it FOC (you have 3 years of free map updates so keep a good eye on this, especially in 2 years time!!).

^+1 Mine was missed out at the first service too. I had to take it back to be done, which although FOC was inconvenient. I now insist on it being done when the car goes in for its service every year. I can tell that they're not happy (for the reason given by Chris) but they know as well as I do that they have no choice.

IME map updates are more frequent than yearly so your's is virtually certain to need doing.

MB Leicester have always done mine as a matter of course at servicing FOC but, as has aready been said, it takes time. They also attach a trickle charger so as not to run the battery down as a break in the updating process can corrupt the software.

Thank you for the responses.

Brentford have agreed to update the maps. No problem there - its just an inconvenience having to take the car back in.

I have complained to MB customer care and asked them to state what MBUK's official policy is in terms of whether dealers should comply with the electronic service schedule and apply the updates by default.

I commented if the dealer "could just not bother" with items on the schedule, do I need to get the oil dip-tested to see if they "bothered" to change that too!

I will post their response once I receive it.

As for "it takes ages" I understand that, but that's not really the customer's problem - it's product design!

UPDATE.

MB UK Customer Care has confirmed it is their policy that a software update should be applied at each service if available. This includes maps.

As my map version is V9 then it should have been done.

The dealer is at fault according to MB UK and has not provided the expected service.

I will be compensated for my inconvenience when I take the car in next week! Not sure whether that is MBUK or the dealer paying.

Seems like if we all complain when this happens the message may get through that some dealers are not providing the expected service levels!

I have version V9 too can you let us know what the latest version is when they update your car thanks.

Should be V11. 2014/2015 on NTG4.5 - I did mine on 7th October 2014. I expect 2015 will come along soon

Richard

Stealership said they didn't have the equipment to do an upgrade when mine was in for service last year and I could do it myself at home via desktop, seems to have been a fob off.

Out of interest after 3 yrs presumably it's subscription? What sort of money are we talking?

Stealership said they didn't have the equipment to do an upgrade when mine was in for service last year and I could do it myself at home via desktop, seems to have been a fob off.

Out of interest after 3 yrs presumably it's subscription? What sort of money are we talking?

Massive FOB off. Put workshop update disk into head unit (or bluray disk in drive and plug into USB port on NTG5). If its NTG3.5/NTG4.5/NTG5 get 5 digit PIN code from Parts department (who get it from the VeDOK system), and enter it. Wait about an hour, switch to second disk.

If car not eligible for 3 year updates, then getting the PIN code generates an invoice of about £100/£150 depending on region etc. But you have to pay for the time in the workshop for the install *or* buy the retail version of the workshop disk and plug it in yourself. In the case of NTG5 it will be a USB stick.

R

Wait about an hour, switch to second disk.

What a pain. You can understand why they dealers aren't keen. There must be a better way of designing these things than that.

I'm a bit confused here by what Richard says about prices after three years. When buying my car three years ago I was told that map updates would be included with every MB service and I wouldn't have to pay any traffic information subscription. Is this wrong? Will I have to pay in the future, after the 3-year service that I'm getting done next week?

EDIT: Just answered my own question by looking at the MB website: "You also get 3 years of free navigation map data updates." :(

Last edited by a moderator:
My E Class Coupe had its first service a few weeks ago at MB Belfast. I specifically asked for the maps to be updated but when I went to collect it
hadn't been done. I was told there is a DAB software update to be done in July and they'll update the maps then. Anyone smell a rat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom