Map updates W212 MY2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpwuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 BlueTEC W212
Hi All,

Firstly apologies if this is an already well trodden path....but I'm looking for options regarding updating the maps in my W212. To start with, I'm not 100% certain which system I have. The data card suggests the following, which I think are all related to the COMAND/Entertainment system:

05U MBCONNECT - REMOTE ONLINE
06U MBCONNECT - BASIC SERVICES
3U1 EUROPE/CIS COUNTRIES/MONGOLIA HEAD UNIT
502 3 YEARS OF MAP UPDATES FREE OF CHARGE
531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5
537 DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)
B54 MBCONNECT - REAL-TIME TRAFFIC DATA

The maps in my car are dated 2015, so it would appear the previous keeper didn't take advantage of the 3 years of free map updates entitlement. I wonder if that is something I can take advantage of now, seeing as it has never been previously used?

My system has an SD Card slot and a pair of USB ports in the centre armrest and I did read somewhere that the latest maps can be simply downloaded from the internet and installed via the SD Card slot. I can't seem to find any download URL's though? Also, I am not certain if an original map SD card is required or not, in which case I don't have it anyway. I do understand a pin number is also required to update the map data, but I am not sure how I would obtain one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Glenn

Give these people a call and have your VIN to hand

Robin

Hi All,

Firstly apologies if this is an already well trodden path....but I'm looking for options regarding updating the maps in my W212. To start with, I'm not 100% certain which system I have. The data card suggests the following, which I think are all related to the COMAND/Entertainment system:

05U MBCONNECT - REMOTE ONLINE
06U MBCONNECT - BASIC SERVICES
3U1 EUROPE/CIS COUNTRIES/MONGOLIA HEAD UNIT
502 3 YEARS OF MAP UPDATES FREE OF CHARGE
531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5
537 DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)
B54 MBCONNECT - REAL-TIME TRAFFIC DATA

The maps in my car are dated 2015, so it would appear the previous keeper didn't take advantage of the 3 years of free map updates entitlement. I wonder if that is something I can take advantage of now, seeing as it has never been previously used?

My system has an SD Card slot and a pair of USB ports in the centre armrest and I did read somewhere that the latest maps can be simply downloaded from the internet and installed via the SD Card slot. I can't seem to find any download URL's though? Also, I am not certain if an original map SD card is required or not, in which case I don't have it anyway. I do understand a pin number is also required to update the map data, but I am not sure how I would obtain one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Glenn
Many years ago I updated the maps on a 2015 W212 E63 by purchasing this item.
I just checked there, I bought the update in January 2019, and I know I posted on here about the actual update process.
There might be a 2021 version now, but you could check with them.

Looks like a £90 download on ebay,it looks like the same way you can get the latest citroen sat nav updates you put your vin number in they generate a pin code and then send you that and a usb with the maps on,the citroen ones are only £25

Thanks for the replies so far. Isn't there a way I can just download the map data online, then request a pin code from the dealer? Is there a working link anywhere to the COMAND Download Manager?

Thanks for the replies so far. Isn't there a way I can just download the map data online, then request a pin code from the dealer? Is there a working link anywhere to the COMAND Download Manager?
The software data update is free but cannot be installed without the pin which is generated SPECIFICALLY for your VIN.
It's the pin code that costs.

You'll need to download the MB Download Manager from one of the online forums (not mbclub), it's free to use but for some reason the COMAND version isn't available to download from Mercedes me (unlike the Garmin version, which is).

That said, the PIN will still cost you ~£150, but if you phone around, some MB dealers offer the complete maps update fully installed for £99, so this is in fact your best option.

Well cannot see the advantage of just downloading the maps,but last time I updated the maps I just did the UK,France and Spain,plus 7 digit post codes,with the car running it took very nearly a hour,not sure how long it would take to update all of the maps,if as Markjay says you can get the MB dealership to do the lot for £99 then I would go that route

Well cannot see the advantage of just downloading the maps,but last time I updated the maps I just did the UK,France and Spain,plus 7 digit post codes,with the car running it took very nearly a hour,not sure how long it would take to update all of the maps,if as Markjay says you can get the MB dealership to do the lot for £99 then I would go that route
Advantage is I don't need to leave my car at the dealers for the day, which is a massive inconvenience for me. If I can download the data myself, then just order the pin, I can then do the update myself.

Well I suspect you are well able to spar around with the tech,I am older and updating the sat nav with thoughts of bricking it,was enough for me to be very thankful after that hour was up,I take your point about the dealership,for me getting the pin and the little usb and the instructions of how to do it was the best way for me.

You just start the map update using the memory card and just go about your business as normal.
It carries on from where it left off after you restart the car

I have quite an old version of the COMAND Download Manager, does anyone know where I can obtain the latest version please?

Given the age of the OPs car and NTG version, It's quite likely you can get car play / android auto put on it as per W212 E-Class & Apple CarPlay / Android Auto - The Jam Journal

I've had a price from an indy place near me of about £120 to do it. Seems a much better option as the built in nav is, in my opinion,absolute rubbish.
Hi mate, thanks for this. I have been reading about getting this activated and have made a few local enquiries, but I've not yet found anywhere North West based who can do it. Whereabouts is the Indy you mention that will do it for £120?

Hi mate, thanks for this. I have been reading about getting this activated and have made a few local enquiries, but I've not yet found anywhere North West based who can do it. Whereabouts is the Indy you mention that will do it for £120?
MB tech in Warrington. I've not got back to them yet but they did say in email that they could do it and was actually £90 + vat so slightly cheaper than I originally said.

MB tech in Warrington. I've not got back to them yet but they did say in email that they could do it and was actually £90 + vat so slightly cheaper than I originally said.
You got their contact details please? PM me if better. I'm not far from Warrington. :)

In used this guy 3 weeks ago for my 2013 w212, SD card arrived the following day with the correct code, very easy and straightforward upgrade

Many years ago I updated the maps on a 2015 W212 E63 by purchasing this item.
I just checked there, I bought the update in January 2019, and I know I posted on here about the actual update process.
There might be a 2021 version now, but you could check with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom