Map updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwladok5

Car
C220d
Hi!

Can someone confirm the link to the site that shows the current software & map versions applicable to MB cars?

Thanks

I am assuming your car is a W205?

Does it have COMAND NTG5*2, or Garmin Map Pilot?

In the amen time, try here:
Europe

Thanks markjay, it's a 205 with Garmin

Apparently, there are two variants..:

2019 v11 P/N A218 906 33 03
For The Following Models With Audio 20:
A-class (from 09/2015)
B-class (from 11/2014)
C-class (from 08/2017)
CLA (from 12/2014)
CLA Shooting Brake
CLS (from 09/2014)
E-class (from 12/2014)
E-class Cabriolet (03/2015-08/2017)
E-class Coupe (03/2015-03/2017)
GLA-class (from 09/2015)
GLC-class (from 08/2017)
GLE class (from 06/2015)
GLE Coupe
GLS (from01/2016)
SLC

2018 v10 P/N A213 906 36 05
For The Following Models With Audio 20 TOUCHPAD:
C-Class W205 from 03/2014 till 08/2017
E-Class W213
GLC X253 from 09/2015
V Class BR447 from 05/2014
X Class

Last edited:
Apparently, there are two variants..:

2019 v11 P/N A218 906 33 03
For The Following Models With Audio 20:
A-class (from 09/2015)
B-class (from 11/2014)
C-class (from 08/2017)
CLA (from 12/2014)
CLA Shooting Brake
CLS (from 09/2014)
E-class (from 12/2014)
E-class Cabriolet (03/2015-08/2017)
E-class Coupe (03/2015-03/2017)
GLA-class (from 09/2015)
GLC-class (from 08/2017)
GLE class (from 06/2015)
GLE Coupe
GLS (from01/2016)
SLC

2018 v10 P/N A213 906 36 05
For The Following Models With Audio 20 TOUCHPAD:
C-Class W205 from 03/2014 till 08/2017
E-Class W213
GLC X253 from 09/2015
V Class BR447 from 05/2014
X Class
Thanks markjay

What about the software:

NTG5E

software: 17/41.0 40.60

other info: N5 A V1

Regards

If you already have a map on SD card try update throught this link.
Collection Site - United Kingdom
I have updated my maps here once, and i think it works just once

And you can check your what suits your car here
Navigation update, Navigation system SD card, Europe, Version 2019 Navigation for C-Class Cabriolet A205 (07/18- )
Right guys, I'm not sure whether I now have a definitive update! I visited a local MB that I'd had dealings with in the past; I said I had V8 map & I believed that at least version 10 was available.
I waited a couple of hours & the chap came back to say the card had already got version 10 & that version 12 was available which they have installed.
We went back to the car & the card was accepted. However going to the My Map still shows 2017 (V8.0) Europe
However, in my System (Device) Info, what was 17/41.0 40.60 now shows 18/21.0 41.21
I can only presume 2017 (V8.0) must refer to the map that was ORIGINALLY installed when the car was built?
The dilemma is that there is nothing on the car that can confirm what your current map version is; you have to rely on the integrity of the dealer staff. Incidentally they did confirm all updates are free during the vehicle 3 years warranty period.

There are two bits of software that need updating, independent of each other, on the Garmin Map Pilot.

The first is the navigation software, which is a free update and can be downloaded from the Internet. The latest version of the navigation software will typically add new features, have improved navigation and route planning, and include bug fixes.

The second is the maps data, which is not free (from memory it is free for a limited period of time from where the car is new). The latest version of the map data will include new roads, more POIs, and previous map error corrections. In order to update the maps data, you will need to purchase a new SD-Card.

I suspect that the dealer updated the navigation software, but not the maps data.

EDIT: Just read your previous post saying that the car is a 2017 model and has 3-years of free maps update. During the free updates period you should be able to update the maps yourself online without replacing the SD-Card. Said that, my post above is still valid, i.e. it seems that dealer updated the navigation software but not the maps.

Also - the Audi20 unit has a firmware which is yet another bit of software that can be updated. Updating the firmware on the Audio20 unit will not affect the navigation software or the maps data, but it could affect the way the GPS hardware behaves (i.e. the specific firmware update included an update relevant to the GPS hardware). So when looking at versions that have changed on your advice keep in mind that the dealer may have updated the Audio20 firmware as well.

Last edited:
There are two bits of software that need updating, independent of each other, on the Garmin Map Pilot.

The first is the navigation software, which is a free update and can be downloaded from the Internet. The latest version of the navigation software will typically add new features, have improved navigation and route planning, and include bug fixes.

The second is the maps data, which is not free (from memory it is free for a limited period of time from where the car is new). The latest version of the map data will include new roads, more POIs, and previous map error corrections. In order to update the maps data, you will need to purchase a new SD-Card.

I suspect that the dealer updated the navigation software, but not the maps data.

EDIT: Just read your previous post saying that the car is a 2017 model and has 3-years of free maps update. During the free updates period you should be able to update the maps yourself online without replacing the SD-Card. Said that, my post above is still valid, i.e. it seems that dealer updated the navigation software but not the maps.

Also - the Audi20 unit has a firmware which is yet another bit of software that can be updated. Updating the firmware on the Audio20 unit will not affect the navigation software or the maps data, but it could affect the way the GPS hardware behaves (i.e. the specific firmware update included an update relevant to the GPS hardware). So when looking at versions that have changed on your advice keep in mind that the dealer may have updated the Audio20 firmware as well.
Once again, thanks Markjay. Are you saying that the only way to guarantee the lastest map data is to physically purchase & install a new SD card? (As per your earlier post - where are you picking this info up from?) I can only find 2 sites on the internet offering replacement SD cards for about £50. Someone did warn me that using these would prevent the Live Traffic from working, is that right?

Once again, thanks Markjay. Are you saying that the only way to guarantee the lastest map data is to physically purchase & install a new SD card? (As per your earlier post - where are you picking this info up from?) I can only find 2 sites on the internet offering replacement SD cards for about £50. Someone did warn me that using these would prevent the Live Traffic from working, is that right?

As per my most recent post, maps data updates during the free period (which you stated in your case as 3 years), can be updated online and will downloaded directly onto your existing SD-Card.

After the free update period, you will need to purchase a new SD-Card whenever updating the maps data version.

But - are you sure your car has 3 years free updates?

Also, is the info showing in My Map ie. 2017 V8.0 Europe really what I have currently installed?

Hi, Having just ventured into this murky area myself here is what I have found out.

Markjay is correct with the 2 variants. My 2016 B Class is in the first set as it has Audio 20 and the SD card I have just bought is 2019 V11 with the same part code. As the car didn't come with the SD card when purchased a week ago I had no option but to buy one from somewhere. I did a lot of research and read lots of reviews about suppliers before buying. During that research I came across a MB website where you can get their Download Manager for Map systems. "Apparently" you can download map updates for 60 days once the SD card is paired with the car's Map Pilot system. It must add some files to the SD card during that process which might include the VIN reference, this came from the Download manager help pages.

I have downloaded the Download manager software but haven't tried the upgrade process yet and I don't know if I will. The instructions do identify a backup and restore facility for the SD card which is at least helpful. If you have 3 years free upgrades you could try this option and see what happens but I agree with you that it might be risky. Also check the website that Sentralfyr mentioned. It might take you to the same Download manager page. I would do the backup before trying the update, just in case.

The SD card I bought came via Amazon from "GPS Updates" and cost £45, not the £495 that the MB dealer wanted to charge me. I coughed and spluttered when he told me that price. I can only say that the card I received looks genuine and it has worked fine so far. I will be giving it a real test this weekend with a couple of long journeys already planned.

I hope this helps,

Kevin_M

@Kevin_M55, do you have the TomTom Live Traffic option, and if so is it activated and working OK?

Right guys, I'm not sure whether I now have a definitive update! I visited a local MB that I'd had dealings with in the past; I said I had V8 map & I believed that at least version 10 was available.
I waited a couple of hours & the chap came back to say the card had already got version 10 & that version 12 was available which they have installed.
We went back to the car & the card was accepted. However going to the My Map still shows 2017 (V8.0) Europe
However, in my System (Device) Info, what was 17/41.0 40.60 now shows 18/21.0 41.21
I can only presume 2017 (V8.0) must refer to the map that was ORIGINALLY installed when the car was built?
The dilemma is that there is nothing on the car that can confirm what your current map version is; you have to rely on the integrity of the dealer staff. Incidentally they did confirm all updates are free during the vehicle 3 years warranty period.

I have just put the SD card in my computer, and confirm the latest software is V12.0 SW41.21 18/21.00 E74.2
The map version shown in the system does change when the SD card is updated. Normally free updates are only for 60 days after first activation. So can only presume they updated software but not maps.

@Kevin_M55, do you have the TomTom Live Traffic option, and if so is it activated and working OK?
Hi Markjay,

The best I can say is that it looks like I have a full subscription and the traffic system is active. Because I haven't done a journey with the nav system running it doesn't show or give any traffic information. I am going on a trip this weekend so I will be able to let you know on Sunday evening. Photo enclosed of the Map Pilot Traffic and Alerts page. Hope this helps.

regards,

Kevin_M

Attachments

• Map Pilot Traffic Alerts page.JPG
    Map Pilot Traffic Alerts page.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 44
I got this it’s the latest version 2018/19 installed on mine works like a dream around a hour to install u get the code by email and instructions.

Yes when I spoke to him on phone I gave my VIN number he done his bit also gave him my command system version all went sweet very professional all the way also bought speed cameras for £30 installed no problems also

That is 100% correct! Garmin map updates are only available within the first 60 days, after that a new card is required. Buy from Ebay & you'll save a fortune but live traffic will disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom