March Holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah Goa. Not been but I once went to a Goan restaurant in Cochin in Kerala. On the music loop was the following

We are going to Goa
To Goa we're going to go
To Goa we're going
We're going to Goa
To Goa we're going to go.

etc

etc

etc

etc

Alternatively, Zanzibar is on my list of places to go.

I went to Zanzibar back in 2002 (year of the Bali bombs anyway) and I would hope things have improved a little since then.

Stonetown, the "capital" consists of a small market, a church, a couple of hotels and a school. Freddie Mercury's house is there along with Mercury's bar, and the prisoners statues in stone are impressive.
Really very little to do and a long way to relax by the pool. The beaches, as with many in the Indian Ocean leave much to be desired and you need to wade out at least 400 yds to get your knees wet.

The museums have had many artifacts stolen and they now reside in various hotels around the island. The "House of Wonders" is worth a visit, likewise down at the main harbour after dark for bbq "meat" What the hell the meat was I don't know, but I had the Italian two step for a couple of days afterwards.

Food? nothing special, try to visit the Africa Hotel at sundown for Killi' beer or two and Le Serena hotel is recommended for food.
The spice fields are interesting along with a trip to Prison Island where there are giant tortoises.

Travelled to Dubai and onwards with Kenya Airways to Nairobi, change planes and onto Zanzibar. Don't be tempted to go walkabout in Nairobi if you have a long layover.
The airport is a laugh, about as most 3rd world you can imagine, but as I say, it may have changed considerably.

I'd put some photos up, but my external HD has crashed:wallbash:

I went to Zanzibar back in 2002 (year of the Bali bombs anyway) and I would hope things have improved a little since then.

Stonetown, the "capital" consists of a small market, a church, a couple of hotels and a school. Freddie Mercury's house is there along with Mercury's bar, and the prisoners statues in stone are impressive.
Really very little to do and a long way to relax by the pool. The beaches, as with many in the Indian Ocean leave much to be desired and you need to wade out at least 400 yds to get your knees wet.

The museums have had many artifacts stolen and they now reside in various hotels around the island. The "House of Wonders" is worth a visit, likewise down at the main harbour after dark for bbq "meat" What the hell the meat was I don't know, but I had the Italian two step for a couple of days afterwards.

Food? nothing special, try to visit the Africa Hotel at sundown for Killi' beer or two and Le Serena hotel is recommended for food.
The spice fields are interesting along with a trip to Prison Island where there are giant tortoises.

Travelled to Dubai and onwards with Kenya Airways to Nairobi, change planes and onto Zanzibar. Don't be tempted to go walkabout in Nairobi if you have a long layover.
The airport is a laugh, about as most 3rd world you can imagine, but as I say, it may have changed considerably.
That sounds like Dar.

I still want to go back though. Sunday evening on City Beach with about 10,000 people was great.

Dar-es-Salam? Only 30miles from Zanzibar. You could have swum it:D

Or gone on one of the local ferries...the sinking type...

This was in 1992 and I wasn't at my best...all in a bit dodgy really, as I couldn't have yellow fever vaccination, due to it being a live vaccine.

it would have been: Yellow fever - 1, Dm - 0.

^ My cholera shot was taken from the vial orally with a glass of water. No yellow fever shot either. That was in a clinic 5 days beforehand in Abu Dhabi . It was the mozzies I feared but I was lucky.

Zanzibar. S**t
South Goa. Wonderful
North Goa. Even better.
Thailand. Dangerous and the locals hate tourists.
Cuba. Very kool
Dom Rep. Full of tight wad all inclusive types
Barbados. Not cool anymore but we are in our 50's so we think it's cool and a bit different
Dubai. Forget it
Maldives. Lovely if it's you and the wife
Jamaica. Same as Barbados

If you are after a quick few days and aren't too bothered about the culture just nip over to Florida. It's not your main holiday of the year. The sun is there. Americans are rather interesting and you can hire a V8.

Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco are cheap for a reason.

Last edited:
If you are after a quick few days and aren't too bothered about the culture just nip over to Florida. It's not your main holiday of the year. The sun is there. Americans are rather interesting and you can hire a V8.

Funny you should say that we just talking now and instead of going at Easter we thinking of going Spring bank instead and Florida looks the favourite

Anyone been to Clearwater or Clearwater beach ?

Zanzibar. S**t
South Goa. Wonderful
North Goa. Even better.
Thailand. Dangerous and the locals hate tourists.
Cuba. Very kool
Dom Rep. Full of tight wad all inclusive types
Barbados. Not cool anymore but we are in our 50's so we think it's cool and a bit different
Dubai. Forget it
Maldives. Lovely if it's you and the wife
Jamaica. Same as Barbados

Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco are cheap for a reason.

We probably want different things from our holidays...

I prefer "Life experience" type travel to sitting on a beach in a tacky resort.

Dieselman said:
We probably want different things from our holidays... I prefer "Life experience" type travel to sitting on a beach in a tacky resort.
I get to do the life experiences when I'm away with work and the boys. SWMBO And JSWMBO idea of a holiday is beach, pool, 30+ degrees, relaxation . I can do that a few weeks a year to give them what they like

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Funny you should say that we just talking now and instead of going at Easter we thinking of going Spring bank instead and Florida looks the favourite

Anyone been to Clearwater or Clearwater beach ?

Spring bank in Florida is a bit.....ahem! crazy. Deffo my cup of Earl Grey but Mum and Dad with a 22 yo daughter might see it differently.

We probably want different things from our holidays...

I prefer "Life experience" type travel to sitting on a beach in a tacky resort.

We all do. Hence what I posted. We have 52 weeks a year to choose a destination. Horses for courses. Sometimes I like a tacky resort and sometimes I don't.

It all depends if I am with my wife and daughter, the beer monkeys or an educational.

Last edited:
We have 52 weeks a year to choose a destination.

Really. I have about a week normally and then the destination changes depending on what happens in that week.
It's not unusual for me to book a hotel and flight within a day of travel.

Really. I have about a week normally and then the destination changes depending on what happens in that week.
It's not unusual for me to book a hotel and flight within a day of travel.

Cool way to do it. We get updates in the morning telling us we have guests arriving later that day. The cleaners go mental.

It takes some balls to do it, especially if you go on aoa but it does work for some people. Our biggest problem is when we get a family with 1 or 2 young kids and they book a last minute deal where they may.....or may not....be moved after 2 or 3 days. They create hell when they have to move accom, even when they know it's a possibility.

Last edited:
I'd consider Cuba and take your daughter to see it before it becomes even more Americanised.

Darrell said:
Spring bank in Florida is a bit.....ahem! crazy. Deffo my cup of Earl Grey but Mum and Dad with a 22 yo daughter might see it differently.

Fortunately our spring bank falls after the U.S. Spring break and allegedly Clearwater is one of the more sedate resorts

LTD said:
I'd consider Cuba and take your daughter to see it before it becomes even more Americanised.

I've done Cuba with work as it has one of the worlds largest nickel mines which can't be visited by the Americans for obvious reasons

It's a bit like Vietnam not sure they would appreciate all it has to offer

Cuba is a cool place. I won't bang on about the 50s American tin cos it's been done before. But for the OPs original question, I thought it was for a week of reeelax rather than a sightseeing tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom