Marketing and scam calls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldguy57

MB Enthusiast
Car
Now various and sundry
Has anyone noticed how these marketing callers are using local codes to get you to answer the phone or is this just a NW phenomenon? What is your best response to "David " calling from foreign parts? Recently bought a Call Blocker and I have to say its the best therapy you can get by thumping the large red button and thereby eliminating "David " from your life forever.

I answer the phone then either hand it to one of my grandchildren, or place it by the radio. The record so far is 5min before they hang up....

Has anyone noticed how these marketing callers are using local codes to get you to answer the phone or is this just a NW phenomenon? What is your best response to "David " calling from foreign parts? Recently bought a Call Blocker and I have to say its the best therapy you can get by thumping the large red button and thereby eliminating "David " from your life forever.

Yep, had my first one last week, thought it was odd, not just me then.

Living in the same town as one of the main culprits doesn't help as all their calls come from a local dialling code.
I know it's irrational but I struggle with being rude to a local sounding person whereas I have no difficulty when dealing with scam callers from a different continent.

I also use the "Call Blocker" and we haven't been troubled by calls, any calls, for a very long time.
it is the perfect solution providing you take the trouble to educate friends and family to use your mobile. Anyone other than that can write, email or just go to hell :D

A lot of fun can be had by stringing them along and wasting their time, I have yet to achieve my ultimate triumph of actually getting someone to visit so I can waste a couple of hours of their time :D

American comedian Tom Mabe loves telemarketers :D

[YOUTUBE]kAb8vGSRBoE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TUOBNGdTN1Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oLnQXmkR3dI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I just don't have a landline plugged in. Phone line is for broadband only.

My last mobile number got spread about a bit too much, so I just got a new number.

Has anyone noticed how these marketing callers are using local codes to get you to answer the phone or is this just a NW phenomenon?

It's been happening for a while.

Any trick to get you to pickup.

Of course organisations like the NHS calling often show as 08XX numbers :doh: So people turn down or ignore legitimate calls assuming they're phone SPAM.

I belong to TPS and ex-directory and never get any unwanted calls.

I never give the landline number to anyone except the bank as it gives them security.

I belong to TPS and ex-directory and never get any unwanted calls.

I never give the landline number to anyone except the bank as it gives them security.

If you have only given your landline number to your bank it is not surprising that you don't get calls. However, registering with TPS will not shield you from automatic sequential calling from outside the UK, it might not from within if you are on the system of a lowlife outfit that is not subject to the protocols of TPS :)

I know it's irrational but I struggle with being rude to a local sounding person whereas I have no difficulty when dealing with scam callers from a different continent.

I am always polite to a live voice as it is only someone trying to earn a living. The calls that irk are the recorded voice ones where an expletive is wasted but uttered anyway.

I am always polite to a live voice as it is only someone trying to earn a living. The calls that irk are the recorded voice ones where an expletive is wasted but uttered anyway.

How about the ones that are out to rob you?

You'll notice that I used the word 'scam', I was being polite.

How about the ones that are out to rob you?

You'll notice that I used the word 'scam', I was being polite.

How often does a scammer phone? Mainly they operate via e-mails.
I get one scam call every few years and when I remind him that when I checked out his charity it doesn't wash he immediately hangs up.

Spammers and ambulance chasers are by far the more frequent.

I frequently get calls from 'Microsoft Windows'.

They will try and tell you that your PC is infected, pretend to fix it by taking control and charge a few hundred quid while also collecting your banking details for further theft.

Scam by phone.

Edited:
The real scam calls are less frequent than just spam.
I get far fewer calls since I diverted my landline to my mobile.

Last edited by a moderator:
A recent Asian sounding but 0203 number asked if I was "Mr Smith?" He got quite perky when I said yes and then gave him my first name as Eric. What followed was a 'survey' to find out my personal preferences. All very polite and orderly. (Btw...I'm not Eric Smith)

Sits back and waits......

About a week later calls from Guys Hospital, Sanderson Blinds, Woodland Trust, Talk Talk et al, and all asking to speak to Mr Eric Smith. When it's pointed out to them that they've obtained my phone number from a Malaysian call center and I'm not who they think I am and they're going to be reported to the Information Commisioner some of them got quite shirty and hung-up. As if it's OK for them to invade your privacy via the back door route.

For the last month or so we've been working the BT 8500 phone with Call Guardian and it's fantastic.

Like others, my landline is used only to carry broadband. If it rings its straight to answer phone. There will never be a legitimate call on there as the only company that has the number is BT.

I am registered with TPS but that does not really stop the spam type calls, only legitimate marketing calls.

BTW, if you want to report spam SMS, then you have to report it to the ICO and not to TPS.

Sits back and waits......

;) Cool

I do similar with one of my Google email accounts. You can insert random dots in the account name - so for example, [email protected] could also be c.hris, ch.ris, chr.is and so on - and each will still be recognised by Google as chris, but importantly mail addressed like this will find its way into your inbox with the inserted dots still in place.

Great for tracking how folks use your email address ...

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom