Marrakech - need some advice/input

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maxi4

Car
Not an MB right now :(
Hi Everyone - Were looking to take a week's break around the half term, talking about where to go, Marrakech popped up yesterday. Sounds interesting and its somewhere we've never been. I'm sure people on here would have travelled here. I am looking for some advice on where to stay, where not to stay. What we can do (have 2 kids, 10 and 4) and any general advice.

We normally like to explore, get out and see the sights and sounds etc etc. Rarely do holidays where you spend all day sitting by the pool :(. Although last year we did spend 5 days at a beach restaurant in Sri Lanka...very nice :)

Looking for some useful info

Thanks in advance

Pete

Will be interested in any replies as have booked 5 days there in the autumn, staying in a Riad in the quieter part of the medina. Never been before, but we have a villa in Tunisia so we are very used to Arabic culture. Have no children but any Tips on interesting places to visit or good restaurants would be appreciated

I've stayed in Marrakech, in the old part many years ago, interesting city, lots of look at and do, the souks are cool, and loads of eating places. in relation to where to stay I can't help, as I've only been the once, but I've got mates that go regularly and they book up a villa with a pool, but that's ten of them going at the same time.

The kids can be a pain, they come begging, when we didn't give them anything they started throwing stones at us (little sh*ts).

Quad biking was fun, they have the turkish baths/was places, where a big burly bloke beats you with some cleaning materials, was an bloody odd experience that!!!!

They won't let you take pics of the men with the snakes unless your going to pay them.

erm... not sure what else I can tell you.

If you have either a woman or kids with you I'd can it, seriously it's not safe and getting worse. I surf a lot around various continents and despite spending time in Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Brazil I can honestly say the most unsafe I have felt as a well travelled person is Morocco. The attitudes they have towards females (of any age) is unreal. They stare, grab throw insults when you refuse to let them touch your wife and in a lot of cases it can get violent. However if you are a male travelling with a group of males you will be fine. Just do the usual sensible things as always with these types of developing countries. Don't carry around too much cash or flashy jewellery, bible or a thug hint that you don't care too much about. Morocco used to be a beautiful place but has sadly gone downhill quickly much like the rest of North Africa.

I was there in January. If your happy walking through any major UK town you will be fine in Marrakesh. My wife had no problems at all, and she had a bad time many years ago in Tunisia so is very wary. Heaven knows where the poster above went, but it wasn't Marrakesh.

I stayed here for buttons (putting it in perspective I spent more on one meal for 4 in Meribel this Christmas than I did for a 4 day break!) though I don't know if I would pay big money. I would recommend all inclusive if your not keen on the Moroccan style food choices or are picky. Very quick airport transfers, even if your passport is checked 100 times.

Sensimar Medina Gardens in Marrakech | Thomson

Alf Barnet said:
I was there in January. If your happy walking through any major UK town you will be fine in Marrakesh. My wife had no problems at all, and she had a bad time many years ago in Tunisia so is very wary. Heaven knows where the poster above went, but it wasn't Marrakesh. I stayed here for buttons (putting it in perspective I spent more on one meal for 4 in Meribel this Christmas than I did for a 4 day break!) though I don't know if I would pay big money. I would recommend all inclusive if your not keen on the Moroccan style food choices or are picky. Very quick airport transfers, even if your passport is checked 100 times. Sensimar Medina Gardens in Marrakech | Thomson

Each to their own but my mates Mrs (dyed blonde hair, apparently it made a difference) who was with us was about 2 minutes away from being gang raped in broad daylight. It's one of those things that can happen anywhere but it is a hell of a lot more likely to happen ANYWHERE in North Africa. I'd have no problem going myself but would not take the Mrs or kids in a million years.

That being said a lot of people get robbed in Rio or Salvador and it ain't happened to. E yet. Guess you pays ya money and takes your chances.

I travel to Tunisia 4 times a year for about 3-4 weeks visit as we have a holiday villa which we built 15 years ago. We have have never experienced the sort of situations that have been suggested as being normal in N Africa. We treat the locals with respect and get the same in return, in fact my wife says she feels safer there than she would in London.
We look forwards to our forthcoming visit to Marakkesh and are not put off by alarmist comments from uninformed sources

Smart320 said:
I travel to Tunisia 4 times a year for about 3-4 weeks visit as we have a holiday villa which we built 15 years ago. We have have never experienced the sort of situations that have been suggested as being normal in N Africa. We treat the locals with respect and get the same in return, in fact my wife says she feels safer there than she would in London. We look forwards to our forthcoming visit to Marakkesh and are not put off by alarmist comments from uninformed sources
A factual comment from someone who was there is hardly uninformed. Bearing in mind I thought it was all strawberry s and roses till it happened to us and now obviously I am inclined to think differently. The Op asked for opinions so like you I have given mine. All I'd say is do some googling and speak to a few more people before committing. Just to add further clarity I am 36 years old and very open minded about where I travel, I have been in numerous sketchy places including lawless favelas in Rio at house parties then getting lost at 3am to traveling through war torn Jaffna in Sri Lanka at the height of the civil war but this is the closest I have come on my travels to stuff hitting the fan. Obviously wherever you choose to go I wish you a great holiday and many camels!

Last edited:
Apologies, have re read your comments and see that you did say you were there with your mate!
I guess it does depend on exactly where you are and at what time , I have to say we do avoid tourist areas late at night in any country we visit

Thanks for all your responses guys. We try to be careful when abroad so agree with not going to dodgy areas late night etc. Especially with young kids were tucked up in bed early ish. Me and the wife normally have late dinner once the kids are in bed. So always good to stay somewhere where room service is available
This way you can have a few glasses of red and enjoy the downtime as well.

Cheers
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom