Martin's Autos London SW19

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ss201

MB Enthusiast
Car
190E 2.6 Sportline, W203 320 CDi SE Estate
This garage is recommended in the Mercedes Club Directory, but no comments since 2006. Has anyone used them recently and if so, do they provide/offer the use of a courtesy car while the car is in for service?

I used Martin to replace my auto transmission fluid and filter. He did an excellent job.

Martin is highly experienced in Mercedes gearboxes and also in restoring classic mercs.

Sadly, Martin Cheung of Martin's Autos passed away about a month ago. I was informed of this by Martin's brother Sam. As far as I am aware, the garage is now closed.

Thank you. I have spoken to James Leigh and he was indeed very helpful.

The premature death of Martin Cheung was very sad news indeed. Not only was Martin an excellent mechanic, he was also the one of the kindest and most honest men I have ever met.

He looked after our much loved 190E 2.6 until it's gearbox finally decided it wasn't going backwards ever again at which point it only seemed right to donate it to Martin who had looked after it for so many years and who knew it backwards.

I remember on a trip back from the East coast on 10th August 2003 (hottest day ever recorded in UK) when the V-belt decided to snap (the only time the 190E ever let us down in 12 years ownership) and it took the AA 4 hours to reach my wife and I and two small children left sweltering by the side of the road and then another 3 hours to send a low-loader (despite being told from the off it wasn't a roadside repair job - oil line having been sliced by the flailing V-belt).

Despite not anticipating getting back to West London until after mid-night, Martin stayed up to recieve the AA low-loader at his workshop and repaired the havoc wrought within the engine bay for c. £300 - within 24 hours!

We always had a 'courtesy car' - either a battered old W124 coupe (205k ) or lovely old E- class extate (250k +) - on demand and, most recently, he oversaw the warranty work on our a124 (carried out by the vendor's mechanics) whilst we were abroad. Again, under his watchful gaze, I knew the work would be done properly and checked by him. He then kindly delivered the car to our home even though it hadn't been his job.

He always showed great kindness towards my wife and children who loved to visit his workshop and see the workshop cat - Fluffy. Never once did we feel he might not know what he was doing or fear getting ripped off - a very, very rare state of affairs these days - especially in London. He became a friend.

He would have been pleased to see so many people at his funeral last month - although probably a little embarrassed, as that was his way. A genuine loss to all of those fortunate enough to know him and of course his brothers.

I know we won't find someone like him to look after the cabrio (which he liked very much but, as usual, thought we paid too much for) but if anyone can recommend a skilled and honest independent within 40 mins or so of Kew/Richmond please PM me.

Was your 190E 2.6 anthracite grey with a sport cloth interior by any chance?

Was your 190E 2.6 anthracite grey with a sport cloth interior by any chance?

Yup - K-reg. Sportline. Lovely car. Are you thinking of buying it from the family?

P.S. If you are, let me know and I'll give you some history. I know Martin sorted the gearbox in his spare time and was enjoying that lovely 2.6 litre engine.

Last edited:
Well spotted. I am buying the car from the family and collecting it tomorrow from Wimbledon. Trying to piece together the car's history from Martin's brother Sam was quite difficult, especially given the family's recent loss. I really would appreciate as much information as you can provide. My phone is 07905 232049 if you would like to phone for a chat this evening. Happy to call you straight back to save your phone costs.

regards

Steve

Brilliant! I'm glad K65 'Jimmy' is going to a forum member :D I'll try and give you a call later this evening but if not, then tomorrow. Ask Sam to look for a green file containing it's history which I gave to Martin. It's got mileage and ownership date info on the front. If you've done a DVLC search you may think it's had quite a few owners - it hasn't!:

1. The original owner in Bromley
2. The company I worked for (for me!)
3. The company that bought that company (still me!)
4. Me, when I bought it off that company when it stopped co. cars
5. Martin :(

In other words, it was mine from 1996 @ approx 37k miles until Jan this year @ approx. 105k miles when we gave it to Martin who was the third owner.
I also have the owners handbook which Martin inadvertently returned after servicing our current car.I'll get that to you one way or the other.

Regards,

Simon

Thank you Simon. Very useful to know. I'm a Mercedes-Benz Club member and have written a good number of articles for the Gazette , including several on the W201 - with another one just finished and to be handed to the editor (also a W201 owner) on Wednesday after I've collected the car. It is going to a good home and will be very well looked after. Look forward to hearing from you.

regards

Steve

I am very sorry to hear about the passing away of Martin.

He always used to have some sort of a fantastic classic Merc that he was working on whenever I went down there.

If there was ever a Mercedes gearbox problem he was the man to go to, without a doubt.

He knew these cars inside out, and I found him to be extremely helpful and highly skilled.

Very sad loss to all who knew him.:(

Last edited:
I am very sorry to hear about the passing away of Martin.

He always used to have some sort of a fantastic classic Merc that he was working on whenever I went down there.

If there was ever a Mercedes gearbox problem he was the man to go to, without a doubt.

He knew these cars inside out, and I found him to be extremely helpful and highly skilled.

Very sad loss to all who knew him.:(

It is a shame to be buying this car under such tragic circumstances. From all the lovely comments here it is obvious that Martin was a delightful man who will be much missed by those who knew him. Sadly, I never had that privilege.

I know we won't find someone like him to look after the cabrio (which he liked very much but, as usual, thought we paid too much for) but if anyone can recommend a skilled and honest independent within 40 mins or so of Kew/Richmond please PM me.

www.colinferns.com.

They are in Kew, right on your doorstep!

Well, I visited Martin's garage yesterday and collected the 2.6. Met Sam, Martin's brother who is a lovely man in a very difficult situation as executor of the will. As Martin died so suddenly and unexpectedly, Sam has the unenviable job of dealing with all of Martin's personal and business affairs. I was very impressed by Sam's positive attitude, even though he must be having a tough time sorting out all the garage business. Never having been there before, I was very impressed by how tidy and workmanlike Martin's operation was. There is a fantastic opportunity there for someone who wishes to take over an existing business with a string of satisfied customers - most of whom grew to know Martin as a friend.

My belated condolences to Martin's family and my sincere thanks to Simon (Sven) for his time and kind assistance. The car performed faultlessly on the return drive to its new home in Lancashire.

The premature death of Martin Cheung was very sad news indeed. Not only was Martin an excellent mechanic, he was also the one of the kindest and most honest men I have ever met.

He looked after our much loved 190E 2.6 until it's gearbox finally decided it wasn't going backwards ever again at which point it only seemed right to donate it to Martin who had looked after it for so many years and who knew it backwards.

I remember on a trip back from the East coast on 10th August 2003 (hottest day ever recorded in UK) when the V-belt decided to snap (the only time the 190E ever let us down in 12 years ownership) and it took the AA 4 hours to reach my wife and I and two small children left sweltering by the side of the road and then another 3 hours to send a low-loader (despite being told from the off it wasn't a roadside repair job - oil line having been sliced by the flailing V-belt).

Despite not anticipating getting back to West London until after mid-night, Martin stayed up to recieve the AA low-loader at his workshop and repaired the havoc wrought within the engine bay for c. £300 - within 24 hours!

We always had a 'courtesy car' - either a battered old W124 coupe (205k ) or lovely old E- class extate (250k +) - on demand and, most recently, he oversaw the warranty work on our a124 (carried out by the vendor's mechanics) whilst we were abroad. Again, under his watchful gaze, I knew the work would be done properly and checked by him. He then kindly delivered the car to our home even though it hadn't been his job.

He always showed great kindness towards my wife and children who loved to visit his workshop and see the workshop cat - Fluffy. Never once did we feel he might not know what he was doing or fear getting ripped off - a very, very rare state of affairs these days - especially in London. He became a friend.

He would have been pleased to see so many people at his funeral last month - although probably a little embarrassed, as that was his way. A genuine loss to all of those fortunate enough to know him and of course his brothers.

What a nice tribute to Martin. Thank-you Fenns

Nick Froome

Hi, I have my 2.6 and C32 service by a gentleman called Darren. He will collect your vehicle and drop it back to you which suits me fine but you can speak with him directly. He has been looking after my vehicles for years now.

His number is 07050042187

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom