Martyn 190E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martyn1993

Car
'90 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.0 '95 Rover Mini Sidewalk
Hi Folks

I'm Martyn, 22, an offshore energy research engineer/technician from East Lothian.
I've been on here for a while now as an enthusiast, but just became the proud owner of a 1990 Mercedes 190E 2.0 M102, replacing an Alfa Romeo GT as my new daily :D I grew up around old Mercs, learning a lot about mechanics from working on them with my dad. But despite being a life long enthusiast of MB, this is my first one.

Anyway, here it is...

DSC_0502_zpsvol9ejd1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0506_zps7211yfr4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0507_zps3z7ownbn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's a high spec car with full leather, electric sunroof, electric windows all round, alloys, rear spoiler etc and it still retains it's original Blaupunkt stereo.

Plans are to keep it as standard as possible, but despite it's excellent condition and amazing service history plus a year's MOT, it does need a bit of work so will be doing the following.

Sort the rear electric windows (I believe it's down to a faulty child lock switch but will have a look at it tomorrow).
Clean up the engine bay/re-paint the exhaust manifold and air filter housing.
Sort the clock
Sort the slight judder when picking away, could be a prop' coupling or friction plate springs but will have a proper look underneath at the weekend.
Give it a full service, including diff oil, leads, plugs etc.

So far I've sorted the electric aerial, traced to a broken connection at the motor, then I nipped into MB of Coldstream and ordered a new under bonnet insulation pad and rubber bonnet stops which should arrive from Germany next week.
I've also ordered a new Blaupunkt CD player with SD card, AUX and USB connections.

Loving it so far and very impressed by how well it drives for a 25year old car with 118k on the clock. I've done about 500 miles in it since Saturday :p

Last edited:
Nice car mate! High spec and manual. Rare I'd say.

Cheers mate! Spent quite a while searching for a good one with this spec, definitely don't seem to be too many manuals out there for sale. The genuine Gottlieb Daimler signature inspection is also a bonus on this one, it's been very well looked after.

martyn nice car .The window will have a switch for it to stop children opening it .But if the others work , i think its another problem .The regulator motors are prone to packing up over time .Check the contacts in the door after door card is removed ,clean the contacts and apply a little grease to them not to much , and refit it .Check 12 volt supply ..If it is still the same swap a switch from the other side . Let us know how you get on .

Nice find, lovely colour combination. Rather than paint your exhaust manifold, I strongly recommend using this.

Calyx UK

Really easy to apply and recommended by loads of Mercedes-Benz Club owners - myself included. No need to remove the manifold to apply.

Last edited:
Thanks optimusprime! Doesn't the child lock only control the rear windows? Both aren't working in the rear so I was going to check the power from the child switch first. If that fails I will look further so thanks for the advice :) If I have time I will check later, if not I will just look at the weekend along with the other wee jobs.

ss201 thanks! I wasn't stuck on the colour at first but in person it really does suit it, it's something a bit different. I have some heat resistant paint in the garage that I was going to use (with the manifold in situ), but I will certainly look into Calyx, I like the look of the finish that it gives. Cheers! :thumb:

It could be a door switch ,do you have a switch in the rear door, so passenger can open it .I had the door cards off my car ,biut its a W124 yours may be the same i dont know. I had to removing the door card ,and i had to remove one window switch from the door to get the door card off .Then after the rewmoval the windows in the rear did not operate after i had removed it till i had put it back in situ... Whats the problem with the clock ? But get one job done at a time ..

Welcome to the forum. That's a very good looking classy car. I have used MB Coldstream a few times, even though they are over 70 miles from me. Always been friendly, honest and very helpful.

Hi and welcome. Nice car!

What a lovely car! Welcome and I look forward to seeing progress.

very nice car
used to have one too years and years ago
brings back my youth :)

Thanks for all the kind messages folks! Apologies that I haven't updated this in a while. So far I have covered 1100 flawless miles in the 190E, and it continues to impress me with excellent handling on the twisty bits. I've not done a whole lot, mostly just enjoying driving it, but I have given it a full service, sorted the electric aerial (just needed a clean and one of the wires had pulled out), fixed the rear electric windows (down to dirty connections on both the child lock switch and the window switches), fitted a 190D 2.5 under bonnet insulation pad and stripped back/repainted the air filter housing. It had been previously hand painted and looked horrific, so after some Nitromors, a lot of wire brushing and some satin black paint, it's looking much better. Finished it off with the original "High Voltage" warning sticker which I managed to source from German ebay. I also sorted the lumpy idle by tracing it to a broken adjuster on the throttle linkage, causing it to not strike the microswitch. The CD player should arrive on Monday so will fit that next, along with my Blaupunkt rear speakers.

DSC_0666_zps5o9rljsv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0667_zpshmcbcgk1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0703_zpslu7pruwp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0702_zpsoyedyeyf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the links mate I appreciate it! I'm still yet to join the 190 forum.

Yeah it's a brilliant engine and doing really well on fuel so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom