Maserati Quattroporte - Am I Mad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My friend has had three Quattroportes - having come from Astons which were getting 'too much like a Mondeo!!' according to him. His Masers have been reliable but eye-wateringly expensive (mostly depreciation). However, he can afford it and absolutely loves how the car feels and sounds. That is surely the whole point and what you make reference to in your post. They're not for me, but I can certainly understand why someone would want one.

Depreciation is why I bought my SL500 for £10k instead of £90k new. I figure I can have some fun for a year or 2 and then trade it in for close to what I paid. If I get any potentially horrendous bills I can trade it in early and only lose a few grand.

That is surely the whole point and what you make reference to in your post.

You've got it pal; there are numerous cars out there that are better on paper, mostly German, but they don't get anywhere near the feeling you get owning a Maserati.

Depreciation is why I bought my SL500 for £10k instead of £90k new. I figure I can have some fun for a year or 2 and then trade it in for close to what I paid. If I get any potentially horrendous bills I can trade it in early and only lose a few grand.

Yes - great for the 2nd hand buyer! My friend reckons he writes off about £60k over two years of Quattroporte ownership :eek:

They are bad but not sure they are that bad. Mine was circa 95k new and just under 20k after 9 years. To drop 60k in 2 years sounds excessive.

Not too much different to my R129 SL60 really. Or my XJ. Pretty much most high end exec cars drop like a stone for some years before they bottom out.

rockits said:
They are bad but not sure they are that bad. Mine was circa 95k new and just under 20k after 9 years. To drop 60k in 2 years sounds excessive. Not too much different to my R129 SL60 really. Or my XJ. Pretty much most high end exec cars drop like a stone for some years before they bottom out.
Out of interest, £95000 new, what was it worth after 3 years?

They are bad but not sure they are that bad. Mine was circa 95k new and just under 20k after 9 years. To drop 60k in 2 years sounds excessive.

Not too much different to my R129 SL60 really. Or my XJ. Pretty much most high end exec cars drop like a stone for some years before they bottom out.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. £60k over two years includes running costs (servicing, tyres etc.) as well as depreciation. My friend is pretty good at keeping tabs on what his cars cost, so I'm happy to take his word that these are expensive beasts. He does tend to use his cars though, so I suspect he's a non-typical owner for this type of vehicle who racks up a fair bit more than the average number of miles.

He does tend to use his cars though, so I suspect he's a non-typical owner for this type of vehicle who racks up a fair bit more than the average number of miles.

It's what they're there for.

I personally don't see the point of buying a car and not using it unless it is impractical to do so.

If I do end up buying a GT, I intend to use it as much as I can albeit I only do 6000 miles a year.

Rack it up and sell it on one day for whatever it is worth then!

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. £60k over two years includes running costs (servicing, tyres etc.) as well as depreciation. My friend is pretty good at keeping tabs on what his cars cost, so I'm happy to take his word that these are expensive beasts. He does tend to use his cars though, so I suspect he's a non-typical owner for this type of vehicle who racks up a fair bit more than the average number of miles.
That could make more sense. With 10-12k per year with fuel, tyres, brakes & repairs it would surprise me if 60k got eaten in 2 years. Luckily I don't do many miles so with zero depreciation they aren't too bad to keep on the road. I certainly couldn't afford 30k per year. I don't earn much more than that a year full stop!

I would love to use all mine more but don't do many miles for work & any I do often get done in the XC90 for two reasons. One is I need the practicality with the need to not be too precious about carrying tools/gear in it etc. Also I don't expect it would go down too well turning up to customers in a QP. Regardless that in the real world it was less than 20k.

The 4200 is a real garage queen & has done about 2500 miles in 2 years. It gets used & run up often enough but always for fun/enjoyment mainly.

Looking forward to getting the SL up to where I want it to be & used a bit more this year. I miss not having an proper full fat AMG though.

Out of interest, £95000 new, what was it worth after 3 years?
A new QP VI GTS is 115k new base spec & about 50-55k after 3 years.

The XJ I had was 72k new & I bought at 3 years old @ 60k miles for 23k. Some of these types of cars do drop a fair bit!

This question from a potential buyer is the best so far:

"Why is it 55 on the plate shouldn't it be 58?"

'Like I've stated in the advert, it's a private plate and it comes with the car'

"You can't put a 55 plate on a 58 plate car"

'Go away'

What a spanner :doh:

You don't know the half of it, when I told another person to stop wasting my time with ridiculously low offers he ended by sending a message in Latin (with no irony either!)

New owner drove off in it this morning...

Cost of ownership (excluding petrol and tax) was £0 and I actually made £1300 profit on the sale price so you could say it was a good ownership experience...

You don't know the half of it, when I told another person to stop wasting my time with ridiculously low offers he ended by sending a message in Latin (with no irony either!)

How did you know it was Latin?

New owner drove off in it this morning...

Cost of ownership (excluding petrol and tax) was £0 and I actually made £1300 profit on the sale price so you could say it was a good ownership experience...
Nice work... not a bad result then. A nice compensation for time/hassle of buying/selling.

Hopefully absense will make the heart grow fonder and you'll be back in another soon enough.

Good news, there's a 212 E63 out there waiting for you now ...

Hopefully absense will make the heart grow fonder and you'll be back in another soon enough.

Never thought I'd say this but when I do buy another it'll become a weekend car, a Maserati is too special to use as a daily driver in my opinion.

Got a test drive in a Guilia Quadrifoglio booked for Wednesday, if I like it I'll then look at leasing one if the figures stack up.

Agreed and makes sense. My QP was cheap enough and fine to use as a daily but I don't do many miles so more like it gets used once or twice a week. I do most of my miles now in the XC90.

A QF looks very nice and we know at least one Maser forum member who has ditched the Maser in favour of the QF. Should imagine it might be a bit pricey on a lease though but would be interesting to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom