Masking stone chips on bonnet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CYPER

Car
W212 E300 Hybrid
So I have this cluster of 4 stone chips on the bonnet, which I am trying to hide.
The paint is called diamond white and it's pearlescent, but it is sort of semi transparent and the chips can still be seen through it.

I tried with a filler to hide them first, but after sanding it down to the same level as the rest of the bonnet the dark appears again.

I need to use something that will put a very thin layer and hide the, before using the touch up paint. Do you think THIS primer would work?

Here is a photo. Is the grey stuff some primer or is it the metal?
cMgrDSC.jpg

Well I suspect you will need to get the whole bonnet sprayed,and Pearlesant paint is expensive ,you have well passed the stage where you get a touch up paint and carefully fill in the stone chips.

Well I suspect you will need to get the whole bonnet sprayed,and Pearlesant paint is expensive ,you have well passed the stage where you get a touch up paint and carefully fill in the stone chips.

I will not respray it. Too expensive.
I fully realize that I cannot achieve a factory paint finish at this point without a respray.
I am just looking for the best technique to hide that spot as best as it can be hidden.
I know it would still be visible, just looking to salvage the situation.

I got wet sandpaper from 500 all the way to 7000 and then polishing compound.
But I need to put some paint down first to work with. And before that need to hide the dark areas with a coat as thin as possible.

Unfortunately without the requisite skills, anything you do at this point is just as likely to make things worse.
Do you mind sharing what a person with the requisite skills would most likely attempt?
I just want to know what would be the best way to mask it without an actual respray.
I would appreciate if you ignore my lack of skills.
Thank you.

I would take it to a bodyshop. The only thing you could do yourself now is to buy a can of the right colour and lacquer and keep it as small an area as you can. You will be able to see it though, you will never lose the edges of the new paint.

The primer sounds good, with its enhanced covering power. Could you mask up the damaged spots very closely and spray a couple of coats just to those areas? That should give you something to work on and let you check the covering ability. Maybe you could then feather the edges of the primer and mask up a slightly larger area for the top coat, same again for the clear coat. Your photo magnifies the damage a lot - the finished repair shouldn't be too noticeable.

I don’t get why you’ve made it so complex :)

I’ve touched up loads of chips, just get an old paint brush, and a bottle of touch up paint. Simply place a dot of paint into the chip. It doesn’t look perfect but looks so much better

I think you have made it worse, sorry. Have you tried chips away? This paint will be very difficult to repair perfectly depends on the quality of the finished job that you want.

I think when finished whatever way you choose your eyes will be drawn to the repair and you will regret not getting the bonnet painted

The problem you'll create is "Patchwork" and not a good look, even if you use an airbrush..it maybe worth looking for a replacement secondhand bonnet, I've done this a couple of times now and its worked well..even in pearlescent ..

Its a tiny area though! Compare the size of the fingerprint lines with the damage, then look at your own finger print.

Do you mind sharing what a person with the requisite skills would most likely attempt?

A skilled painter would not attempt to repair a pearl finish without painting at least the full panel, possibly more besides.

I just want to know what would be the best way to mask it without an actual respray.

As stated earlier, there isn't a lot that could be done to that now, the filling and rubbing down may not have helped. Someone mentioned an airbrush which would certainly make for a smoother finish but it will still look unsightly.

I have an E Class in the same colour and my painter suggested that if I do ever scratch/mark it, I'll be looking at a four figure sum for a proper repair, so I feel your pain but a smart repair or quick blow-over will always be obvious.

The primer sounds good, with its enhanced covering power. Could you mask up the damaged spots very closely and spray a couple of coats just to those areas? That should give you something to work on and let you check the covering ability. Maybe you could then feather the edges of the primer and mask up a slightly larger area for the top coat, same again for the clear coat. Your photo magnifies the damage a lot - the finished repair shouldn't be too noticeable.
I was thinking the same. Use some masking tape very precisely and then spray over it with white primer and work from there.
I don’t get why you’ve made it so complex :)

I’ve touched up loads of chips, just get an old paint brush, and a bottle of touch up paint. Simply place a dot of paint into the chip. It doesn’t look perfect but looks so much better
The area is quite small, each chips is smaller than the surface area of a peppercorn.

Its a tiny area though! Compare the size of the fingerprint lines with the damage, then look at your own finger print.

Yes indeed it is really small. Here is another picture:
uUzHb5E.jpg

I was thinking the same. Use some masking tape very precisely and then spray over it with white primer and work from there.

The area is quite small, each chips is smaller than the surface area of a peppercorn.

uUzHb5E.jpg

Just dab a bit of white paint on the grey part and call it a day. You won’t notice unless you go searching for it and it won’t cost you more than a few quid.

Work small, accurate masking, masses of paper to avoid overspray, cut back to lose edges, clear coat is your friend!

It looks like the sanding has cut through the colour coat which means that it will be rather more difficult to get back to the same levels as the surrounding areas. Part of the appearance is down to uniform layering across the surface, any change to that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Unfortunately in this sort of situation all the written instructions in the world won't help - it requires experience and technique to execute the elements that words cannot adequately describe - exactly when or where to stop, when it needs more, how much to apply etc etc.

Without wishing to seem churlish, if the OP had that, they wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. When you're at the bottom of a hole you can't climb out of, don't keep digging.

Chips Away are a good bet. They give you a yes or no and pricing.

I can add no more than to agree with Doodle here. Good painters have a feel gained by years of practise. They know all the little tricks that can get you where you want to be.

Warning: this is not my tip of the week.

Superglue. Lightly applied then sanded will give you a good opaque base. Then a waft of Deep fill primer and more sanding. Then paint sand and lacquer. It will either get you what you want or see you rushing to Halfords for some animal paw print decals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uUzHb5E.jpg
A touch of red may also be required. (Ducking down now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom