Masking Tape Glue..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wu56Shoozz

MB Enthusiast
You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
Car
MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
I masked off a panel for buffing/polishing. I put the Light Tack Tape on the Windscreen seal to hide the glass and when removing its left a smear of tacky substance on the seal.. any ideas as to how to remove it with out damaging the seal. (Its a new seal by the way, another story for another time..so I don't want to damage it..)

Thanks Guys..

WD40 often works for removing the residue left behind from tape. If it does not work then a little petrol on a clean piece of cloth should move it.

I also recommend wd40, spray it on and wipe off. Be generous! ;)

I masked off a panel for buffing/polishing. I put the Light Tack Tape on the Windscreen seal to hide the glass and when removing its left a smear of tacky substance on the seal.. any ideas as to how to remove it with out damaging the seal. (Its a new seal by the way, another story for another time..so I don't want to damage it..)

Thanks Guys..
Make up remover and nail polish remover work well. In future use the blue 3m masking tape. It sticks well and even after being left on for a few days leaves zero residue

I find the best (and least aggressive) label residue removers are from the food industry 'food safe' they are widely available in aerosol or spay and are made up of mainly citrus oil base . They are used for removing errant labels from all sorts of conveyors and machine systems on food production lines where solvents/oils are not permitted. Ambersil is the one I always have in my workshop.

Make up remover and nail polish remover work well. In future use the blue 3m masking tape. It sticks well and even after being left on for a few days leaves zero residue

Anything containing Acetone needs to be used with caution on plastics and rubberised finishes. It can dissolve or degrade them.

How strange. Unless it got very hot and the adhesive became soft and starting melting a bit

I use WD40, Petrol, or Medical Ahesive Remover.

The latter (a trick I picked-up while at hospital...) smells like turpentine oil - maybe that's what it is? But I figured that if it's safe for medical use on human skin, it should be safe enough for the car.

Anything containing Acetone needs to be used with caution on plastics and rubberised finishes. It can dissolve or degrade them.
Technically that's only acrylates, it should be OK on most other plastics. Since it's a dipolar aprotic solvent it's pretty good at making non-polar residue water soluble.

Personally I'd start with something like iso-propanol, then move up to acetone before I start putting non-polar solvents like petrol on it.

+1 for sticky stuff remover, can also be used for sellotape, sticky labels etc etc
Be careful with nail polish remover on plastics, don't DON'T even think of using cellulose thinners...

WD40 has always worked fr me too, but then you need to clean off the WD40 residue off so it doesn't damage anything! Gaffer tape makes this nasty residue, the worst is when its been there for months, turns to hard plastic type mess, horrible.

WD40 has always worked fr me too, but then you need to clean off the WD40 residue off so it doesn't damage anything! Gaffer tape makes this nasty residue, the worst is when its been there for months, turns to hard plastic type mess, horrible.
What does WD40 residue damage?

I wouldn't like to leave it on anything long enough to find out, however when I have got it on rubber in the past it went all manky and discoloured, cant imagine it would do any favours to paintwork or any sealants/waxes on it.

Aldi spectacle cleaning pads, 99p for a packet, the solvent evaporates pretty quick though so you will need a few.

Safe on plastic and glass lenses so should be ok for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom