Massa injured in F1 Practice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lucky that didn't him him square in the visor! How weird to have two very similar incidents within a week! :crazy:

He's certainly a lucky lad!!!!!

Whats the chances of that accident actually happening..:eek:

Glad he's OK :D

I wonder if the two incidents will bring about a change in the rules where the cockpit has to have some kind of canopy to protect the driver?

I'm sure it will be looked at, but I know from working with the FIA on sportscar safety that there will be many other considerations made before we have knee-jerk reaction.
You would not believe the amount of work which went in to make some safety equality between open and closed Le Mans cars.
It's basically the trade off between protecting the driver and having access to him if he needs attention. Not easy:wallbash:

What happened to Massa was very unfortunate, thankfully it doesn't sound too serious. I just hope he makes a speedy recovery

I read He's in intensive care recovering from surgery to a fractured skull.

I'ts a little more than a knock on the head this one, I'd be surprised with a head injury of this nature if he is allowed to take part in any race for the rest of this season.

I wish him a speedy and full recovery, by all accounts He's one of the good guys in the pit lane and not at all full of himself.

Terrible news.

The odds of this sort of thing happening must be slim as I can't recall ever hearing of this type of thing other than Senna's tragic accident.

But for it to happen so soon after Henry in mindblowing.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

It would appear from this gruesome photograph the area of the skull round the orbit of his left eye may have taken the brunt of the impact. If this is the case his eyesight and in particular his binocular vision which involves depth and distance perception Binocular vision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia may be permanently impaired. If this is the case this freak accident may sadly have finished his career as a F1 driver.:(

edit:- apparently also suffered a fracture to the base of the skull according to this report. BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Massa under sedation after scan

Last edited:
BBC News at lunchtime said he is now definitely out of danger but doctors have some concern over the injury to his eye. Hopefully, he will make a full recovery but it must be doubtful whether he will race again this season.

So lucky. Considering poor Henry Surtees last week!!

Lucky that didn't him him square in the visor! How weird to have two very similar incidents within a week! :crazy:

Strange too, that Massa led the tributes to Henry.
(I was marshalling the weekend at Brands and was posted to Sheene Curve. Only three small bunches of flowers where Henry impacted. Very sombre mood all weekend on my post).

BBC News at lunchtime said he is now definitely out of danger but doctors have some concern over the injury to his eye. Hopefully, he will make a full recovery but it must be doubtful whether he will race again this season.

Just seen on the evening news, they say he may never race again due to the damage in his eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom