Massive fire in London apartment block

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unlike you and KH I know what happened.

Sometimes things are so obvious we don't have to wait like sheep for the official report 2 years down the line. Action be taken immediately and the focus will be on the particular type of flammable cladding that we all have seen falling from the building...on fire.

Why wait for a report...start making things safe now. The pity is this cladding was used after several instances where the same sort of fire had occurred. Dubai immediately came to mind when I saw the very first pictures...did you go into denial and think...no no no I must not judge?

People need to wake up. Evacuate all such buildings now unless some kid with a lighter decides to do something awful.

It is important to find out exactly what happened , so that we can prevent another occurrence - not only in changing this type/method of cladding - if that is indeed what caused the fire to spread so rapidly - although at this time that is only speculation ; we also need , if possible , to identify what started the original fire , and look at whether anything could be done to prevent another occurrence of that .

My primary concern would be to discover whether this tower was the only one renovated using this particular method , or are there others in the same area , or elsewhere , with this same cladding , which potentially might be at risk of the same thing happening ?

It is important to find out exactly what happened , so that we can prevent another occurrence - not only in changing this type/method of cladding - if that is indeed what caused the fire to spread so rapidly - although at this time that is only speculation ; we also need , if possible , to identify what started the original fire , and look at whether anything could be done to prevent another occurrence of that .

My primary concern would be to discover whether this tower was the only one renovated using this particular method , or are there others in the same area , or elsewhere , with this same cladding , which potentially might be at risk of the same thing happening ?

Hi,
This article mentions other buildings that were apparently refurbished in a similar manner:-
Cladding company has covered six other blocks in London | Daily Mail Online

Cheers
Steve

...People need to wake up. Evacuate all such buildings now unless some kid with a lighter decides to do something awful.

I agree in principle, but it's easier said than done sadly.... there were several thousands of these tower blocks built in the UK during the sixties and seventies (6,500 by one estimate), with hundreds of thousands of residents living in them. Where would you house all these people with short notice?

Last edited:
It has been mentioned that the dry risers in the building did not work and firefighters were not able to use them.... anyone knows any more about that?

It is easy to talk about lack of evacuation drills and fire drills.

This is OK for workplaces, but not very feasible in residential blocks.

We have tried to do this some years ago were I live (5 story building).

Firstly it's nigh-on impossible to coordinate it timewise, some people are away, some work shifts, etc.

Then, some tenants just don't give a toss and won't cooperate. There's a nothing you can do if they decide to just ignore the whole thing.

And last, some people are disabled, elderly, or have little kids and find it just too much of a hassle (though you could argue that these are exactly the people who would benefit most from an evacuation drill...).

In addition, residential buildings have no appointed (and trained) fire marshals which means that the evacuation process can be very chaotic and even end up in injury.

So it's not commonly done...

Last edited:
I agree in principle, but it's easier said than done sadly.... there were several thousands of these tower blocks built in the UK during the sixties and seventies (6,500 by one estimate), with hundreds of thousands of residents living in them. Where would you house all these people with short notice?

Only the ones which have been clad.

In case it is taken offline... a local resident is suggesting that it was no accident, and that 'they' (the Council?) purposely spent £10m on covering this building in flammable material to get it burned down so that they can get rid on the unwanted tenants. His 'evidence' is that he "has been living here all his life" and there was never any fire before last year's refurbishment.

In case it is taken offline... a local resident is suggesting that it was no accident, and that 'they' (the Council?) purposely spent £10m on covering this building in flammable material to get it burned down do that they can get rid on the unwanted tenants. His 'evidence' is that he "has been living here all his life" and there was never any fire before last year's refurbishment.

Yep...he's an idiot.

It has been mentioned that the dry risers in the building did not work and firefighters were not able to use them.... anyone knows any more about that?

My own personal opinion is that , with the building so well alight , that even with the risers intact , it would be unsafe to deploy firefighters inside there to tackle the fire .

I think the only reason they would have gone in there would have been to rescue any people trapped by the fire , and even then they probably couldn't get to the upper floors because of the conditions .

BA and even the best PPE only gives so much protection ; there comes a point where putting people into these conditions only adds to the casualties or fatalities .

In case it is taken offline... a local resident is suggesting that it was no accident, and that 'they' (the Council?) purposely spent £10m on covering this building in flammable material to get it burned down so that they can get rid on the unwanted tenants. His 'evidence' is that he "has been living here all his life" and there was never any fire before last year's refurbishment.
I've seen that interview yesterday and it was obvious that he was angry but what he said really didn't make sense. I wonder what will be built on that location now, and who normal would want to live on a sight where so many souls have suffered and died in most horrific agony.
Horrible tragedy for an entire neighborhood really. Even those who are fortunate enough to do well in life and live in few million £ flats will always be reminded of the horror event that happened last night whenever they look through their windows.
Horrible, horrible tragedy.

I suppose they could build there a memorial park? Or memorial community centre?

EDIT: just saw renault21ts' post.

The recently elected MP for Kensington used to be on the board of the TMO that maintained the block.

It will be interesting to hear what all related organisations have to say about this tragedy and how to prevent it happening to similar blocks.

Would you? She'd be lynched.
She has no information that's not already been shared, so would be of no value.

REMOVED.

You know the rules of the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom