Massive fire in London apartment block

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All these harrowing images on the news has made me a 6ft2ins male shed a tear or two also today some Fishermen 'meatheads' also admitted they too were hurting.

It's so tragic I just thought I'd let you all know that.:(

All these harrowing images on the news has made me a 6ft2ins male shed a tear or two also today some Fishermen 'meatheads' also admitted they too were hurting.

It's so tragic I just thought I'd let you all know that.:(

I deal with quite unpleasant things in my job , thankfully not ( so far ) on the scale of this incident , but this one has got me quite upset .

There really is a flood of deplorable gutter journalism at the moment. The sense that every outlet is gradually publishing more unnecessary articles and with news stations based at the scene 24/7 filming people burning and suffocating in the building. It really makes me sad.

They take facts and intentionally twist them in to their own self righteous narrative.

We are all clever enough to sort the wheat from the chaff right?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...nt-against-cladding-material-used-on-grenfell

some quotes :-

"There is also uncertainty over how the project’s adherence with building regulations was scrutinised. The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, where Grenfell Tower is situated, said a “full plans decision notice was not required in this case” and that “a completion certificate was issued” instead.
According to the government’s website, a full plans decision notice is “the most thorough option”, but this was not taken. Neither the borough nor the cladding contractor, Harley, responded when asked to comment on why this route was not taken."

"During planning in 2012, the building service engineering company Max Fordham advised that one option in the refurbishment was to remove “fire stopping” systems temporarily in order to install new heating pipes. It is unclear if that approach was taken and Max Fordham did not return request for comment."
this probably refers to fire stop material in the floors and partition walls between flats and communal space.

"The cladding contractor, Harley, declined to comment on how the system was built out – citing the forthcoming investigation and public inquiry. But it is understood the design differed to that which was detailed in planning documents. Investigators are likely to want to quickly establish whether details such as cavity fire barriers, which appeared in planning drawings, were included."

One architect, who has used similar systems, said cladding panels are also available with mineral wool insulation, which are less flammable but more expensive.
“I only use the mineral wool ones because your gut tells you it is not right to wrap a building in plastic,”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...nt-against-cladding-material-used-on-grenfell

some quotes :-

"There is also uncertainty over how the project’s adherence with building regulations was scrutinised. The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, where Grenfell Tower is situated, said a “full plans decision notice was not required in this case” and that “a completion certificate was issued” instead.
According to the government’s website, a full plans decision notice is “the most thorough option”, but this was not taken. Neither the borough nor the cladding contractor, Harley, responded when asked to comment on why this route was not taken."

"During planning in 2012, the building service engineering company Max Fordham advised that one option in the refurbishment was to remove “fire stopping” systems temporarily in order to install new heating pipes. It is unclear if that approach was taken and Max Fordham did not return request for comment."
this probably refers to fire stop material in the floors and partition walls between flats and communal space.

"The cladding contractor, Harley, declined to comment on how the system was built out – citing the forthcoming investigation and public inquiry. But it is understood the design differed to that which was detailed in planning documents. Investigators are likely to want to quickly establish whether details such as cavity fire barriers, which appeared in planning drawings, were included."

One architect, who has used similar systems, said cladding panels are also available with mineral wool insulation, which are less flammable but more expensive.
“I only use the mineral wool ones because your gut tells you it is not right to wrap a building in plastic,”

This is all speculation. Wait for the report.

I'm more of a "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck" man myself.:rolleyes:

But do you know anything about ducks. Are you an expert in Ducks or read about them in the Daily Mail.
And probably is a duck isnt a definitive duck recognition.

As has been said by other posters. Wait for the whole story.

It's easy for journalists to pick a few statements - and publish 'facts' - and get therir page views. That's their job. Tomorrow they might dress it differently - and the day after that put out a different version.

I think it's fair to say that there are obvious questions to be asked - but even so there is likely more than one factor at work.

Better to get the complete story before simplistically pointing fingers.

Having politicians and media jump up and down about inquiries and blame at this point is entirely understandable. However even without loss of life this tragic incident would come under urgent and considerable scrutiny because it raises questions about the construction and maintenance and standards that affect other buildings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom