Mathmatical Rules, multiplying two negative numbers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
Each week the Daily Mail comes with a Weekend supplement imaginatively named "Weekend".

At the back of this publication is a weekly quiz named "Homework for Grown ups" a quiz which I do each week and I'm lucky to break 5 out of 10 - once managed 8 but mostly get 3 to 4.

This week one of the questions really fried my noodle.

It is as follows:-

-4 x -8 =

a) 32
b) -4
c) -32
d) 4

The correct answer is a) 32.

I've read the mathmatical rules being this and I still don't get it, and I'm reasonably good with maths generally!

How can multiplying two negatives produce a positive?

BTW I answered c) -32

Adding two negatives gives a negative.
Multiplying two negatives gives a positive.

It's the rules.

Was always taught multiplying two negatives makes a positive so it is correct?

Well the answer is clearly 32.

How on earth do you arrive at a positive when multiplying two negatives? I realise it's the rules and I've read the explanations....but the explanations just leave me thinking....eh?

Yeah I read that.....and left me thinking.....what? Run that past me again........

Too much booze tonight, I'll have a rethink tomorrow after I've built the new front steps....

Two wrongs does make a right!!

Yup that's where my logic stems from.....

Maybe I should try this next time I have an overdraft, if I multiply my negative balance by a further negative balance, then mathematics states my balance must be in credit!

Think of the simplest case.

1x1 = I'm owed 1 pound from one person, so I have 1 pound

1x-1 = I owe 1 pound to one person, so I have -1 pounds

-1x-1 = One person owes me one pound, so I have 1 pounds

:)

Think of the simplest case.

Yep - that's logic

1x-1 = I owe 1 pound to one person, so I have -1 pounds

Yep - That's also logic

Now that's where it all goes pear shaped how do you derive being owed a pound from the negative to start with?

I read that as A guy owes me a pound - I also owe him a pound, therefore we're quits.....I think I've just rewritten the mathmatics rulebook.

:)

This also explains why I got about half way through Steven Hawkings "A breif History of Time" at which point the author switched languages to something other than the English I Know.

I simply cannot get my head around how mulitplying negative 1 by negative one equals positive one.

That doesnt make sense they are both the same thing you just changed the wording, why a negative on one and not the other.

I read that as A guy owes me a pound - I also owe him a pound, therefore we're quits

That makes sense.

Last edited:
I've read the mathmatical rules being this and I still don't get it, and I'm reasonably good with maths generally!

How can multiplying two negatives produce a positive?

BTW I answered c) -32

It's late and I'm bored with nothing else better to do ....

So here goes.

-1 + 3 = 2

Multiply the left hand side by -1 using your answer.

(-1 x -1) + (-1 x 3) = -1 + (-3) = -4

Oh dear.

Now do it the correct way where -1 x -1 = 1 and we get

(-1 x -1) + (-1 x 3) = 1 + (-3) = -2

Or you could try looking at division.

-3 divided by -1 is ? 3

By inference -3 multiplied by -1 must be the reverse: ie. 3.

I read that as A guy owes me a pound - I also owe him a pound, therefore we're quits.....I think I've just rewritten the mathmatics rulebook.

That's addition ;)
1+(-1)

In other words

1x-10 : I owe 10 pounds to one person
-1x-10 : I'm owed 10 pounds

If you multiply two positives together you get a positive answer.

If you change the sign of one of them you also change the sign of the answer: positive multiplied by negative gives a negative answer. Hold that thought.

You now change the sign again; two negatives are being multiplied. So the sign of the answer also changes.

Simples.

How about the square root of -1, a number which doesn't exist but which is amazingly helpful in solving numerous equations?

If you try to *understand* maths in the way you are, you won't get anywhere. The proof of some very simple things is very, very complicated - so just accept that the proof exists :thumb:

I'll carry on in life comfortable not understanding the answer to this questions.

In the cold light of morning I've realised that I don't actually need to know why it is the case, but it may come in useful in the future if I'm ever faced with having to mulitply two negatives together.

I'm afraid none of the above explanations make any of this any clearer to me, I also know that it doesn't apply to money and is therefore mostly irrelevant for the forseeable future for me.

Still fries my noodle though.

Brain the size of a planet.....

Best you let the accountant do you books ... :D

Think of double negatives in speech - then you will see why they make a positive...

I don't not know what I'm doing...regard this as multiplying them = I know what I'm doing.. simples..:D

Or as you mentioned - applied to money

He doesn't not owe me £1 = he owes me £1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom