Maths programme on Dave coming soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
...........anyone seen the ads for this forthcoming "Hard Maths" programme on Dave starting next week ? ?

Well, if the ads are typical of the level of "hard" maths we can expect on this programme, then God help Britain.

The few ads I have seen shouldn't tax the brain of a 10 year old.

Perhaps schools are being dumbed down. :mad:

Dara O'Brien's presenting and he's a comedian so I don't think the program should be taken all that seriously

Dara O'Brien's presenting and he's a comedian so I don't think the program should be taken all that seriously

Dara O'Brien attended University College, Dublin (U.C.D.), where he studied mathematics and theoretical physics. :dk: But you are probably right about the program.;)

Dave plus Dara equals witty new mathematics series : Dave - The Home of Witty Comedy Banter : Dave

Dave has greenlit a humorous new maths-based series headed by mathematical physics graduate, TV presenter and stand-up, Dara Ó Briain.

Fujisankei Communications International (FCI) Productions and Wild Rover are creating the series for UKTV’s award-winning comedy channel under the working title, Dara Ó Briain’s University of Practical Mathematics.

Dara Ó Briain says, "When they came to me with a Japanese Mathematics show, I'll be honest, I said; ‘Not another one! Can't you commissioning guys come up with anything original?’ But when they reminded me how many other stars had made their names in the past with Japanese Mathematics shows; people like Bruce Forsyth, Cilla Black and Sooty, who am I to argue with a list like that. So I said ‘arigato!’"

Showing how maths underpins everything in the world around us, each programme sees two main problems for Dara to crack using numbers and equations, while a second comedian attempts a solution with more physical methods. To discover how many different people to date before choosing a partner, Dara uses the Optimal Stopping Theory; trying to predict a football score, Bayesian statistics come to Dara’s rescue.

Dara Ó Briain’s University of Practical Mathematics is based on the Emmy-award nominated Japanese comedy-panel format Comaneci University of Mathematics created by actor-director, Takeshi Kitano for Fuji TV, and has been commissioned for UK audiences by Richard Watsham, Commissioning Editor, UKTV and ordered by Steve North, General Manager for Dave.

Richard Watsham, Commissioning Editor says, "With the huge current appetite for popular science, our audience’s love of smart, funny programming and the perfect front man in Dara Ó Briain, this is going to be a very exciting new series for Dave in 2012."

Katsuyoshi Aota, General Manager of FCI London, added, "As an Emmy nominated show, The University of Maths has great international appeal and with Dara's huge talent and maths knowledge driving the series, the UK audience will, I am sure, love it as much as Japanese viewers."

Phil Morrow of Wild Rover said, "This is a very funny and original take on maths that is guaranteed to surprise and entertain the Dave viewers. We’re extremely lucky to be working with Dara Ó Briain on this – his passion for maths knows no bounds."

Well I think he can count to three if previous shows can be believed, Rory McGrath seems to be doing archeology from inside a pint glass :D

Ahem - it's Dara Ó Briain.

That's what I thought I'd typed! Obviously my HTC thought I got it wrong :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom