Matt -v- Normal Metalic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack2

Car
E Class
Could anybody tell me what the names are of the new Matt paints are as I have been looking at the on-line E Class stock and want to avoid matt in favour of a standard gloss metalic finish. I'm paricularly uncertain about the new High Tech Silver which appears to have replaced the old Iridium Silver. In some pictures it looks gloss then in others it looks like it could be Matt. The price suggests it's a standard gloss metalic but if anybody knows which the matts are for sure I would be grateful.

I do like the new matt finishes but I don't much like the problems they are reported to bring with them.

Thanks Jack

Magno is used by Mercedes’ describe satin paint finishes.

PS Buy a car with gloss paint and then have a satin PPF applied to it. It will be less expensive than Magno paint from factory, it will protect the paint, and gives you the option to revert to gloss if required.

PS Buy a car with gloss paint and then have a satin PPF applied to it. It will be less expensive than Magno paint from factory, it will protect the paint, and gives you the option to revert to gloss if required.
Oh! That sounds interesting. Never heard of that before (I really must get out more :)) Could you expand a little... Thanks

PS in your initial post you mention 'Mango' are you saying that MB use Mango as a sort of prefix to the colour or something as I don't recall noticing anything related to mango when looking at the colour options.

Oh! That sounds interesting. Never heard of that before (I really must get out more :)) Could you expand a little... Thanks

PS in your initial post you mention 'Mango' are you saying that MB use Mango as a sort of prefix to the colour or something as I don't recall noticing anything related to mango when looking at the colour options.
Yes Magno denotes the satin finish in Mercedes lingo. I have a car with Selinite Grey paint, which is available with either standard (gloss) or Magno (satin) finish.

Only a small number of colours are available in a Magno finish, and they’re not available on all models. They’re expensive, fragile, and difficult to repair/match.

PPF is Paint Protection Film, which is applied over the top of the paintwork. It’s available in gloss or satin finishes, but is now available in black and colours too.

The paintwork is polished and then the PPF is applied to seal in that perfect finish. It protects the lint from damage, including swirl marks which take away the shine.

Modern PPF is both optically clear - so you can’t see any distortion and it’s therefore as good as the paintwork beneath - and self-healing which remove fine scratches.

It really is self-healing. Most quality PPF will heal with heat - from a gun, hot water or sunlight - but the very best heal in moderate ambient air temperatures.

Find an installer you trust. There are many cowboys - some charge little and do a shoddy job and damage your car, other do an excellent job and charge a fortune.

I have PremiumShield PPF on some of my cars which at the moment has an excellent reputation, and self heals without any real heat. It’s like witchcraft.

If you wish to go for a satin finish then they will obviously need to PPF the whole car so that the original gloss finish is not visible on the outside or the car.

Thanks for taking the trouble to detail an explanation, it sounds expensive though.

I usually have the MB GaurdX offering at 300 quid (ish). Had it on the last three E Class. Every two or three washes you have to apply a conserver to keep it good. It seems alright for the first couple of years but then seems to lose something in the third year (I usually change them at 3 years) and in the last year I'm always tempted to reach for the old Autoglym gathering dust in the garage cupboard, but then I remember of all that rubbing and buffing so I usually think of our last holiday, or something, until the impulse has passed.

The PPF you mention sound like it would cost considerably more than 300 but also sounds really good, I'll have to give it a proper coat of looking at.

Thanks again

Thanks for taking the trouble to detail an explanation, it sounds expensive though.

I usually have the MB GaurdX offering at 300 quid (ish). Had it on the last three E Class. Every two or three washes you have to apply a conserver to keep it good. It seems alright for the first couple of years but then seems to lose something in the third year (I usually change them at 3 years) and in the last year I'm always tempted to reach for the old Autoglym gathering dust in the garage cupboard, but then I remember of all that rubbing and buffing so I usually think of our last holiday, or something, until the impulse has passed.

The PPF you mention sound like it would cost considerably more than 300 but also sounds really good, I'll have to give it a proper coat of looking at.

Thanks again
Yes it will cost more than Guard X. But it will probably costs around same - or even be more cost effective - to stain PPF a gloss car, than specify satin paint from the factory.

If you buy a car with satin/matte paint then you should seriously consider PPF anyway as it’s a nightmare to clean, keep clean, repair, colour match, etc.

Overall the most cost effective and protected way of achieving a satin finish on your is by using satin PPF, rather than magno paint.

Yes it will cost more than Guard X. But it will probably costs around same - or even be more cost effective - to stain PPF a gloss car, than specify satin paint from the factory.

If you buy a car with satin/matte paint then you should seriously consider PPF anyway as it’s a nightmare to clean, keep clean, repair, colour match, etc.

Overall the most cost effective and protected way of achieving a satin finish on your is by using satin PPF, rather than magno paint.

I bought a car (non MB) with satin/matte paint. So far I've only hosed it down.... I don't dare take it to a car wash, and I have no idea how to wash it. I'll need to figure-out something soon, because the hosing-down will only be good for that long.

I bought a car (non MB) with satin/matte paint. So far I've only hosed it down.... I don't dare take it to a car wash, and I have no idea how to wash it. I'll need to figure-out something soon, because the hosing-down will only be good for that long.

Just wash by hand with a ph neutral soap as normal. Don't apply any products designed to enhance gloss and shine, not suitable and will probably compromise the original finish. Have a google, there are plenty of dedicated products for matte paint which will protect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom