Matte paint - anyone have experience of it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robwils

Car
BMW! for now.
Been looking at a C63S with Matte silver paint, anyone own one and offer advice on living with it and caring for it ?
Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have a Selenite grey magno E63s, I've only had it a few months, but decided to have PPF (paint protection film) install on the front end then a ceramic coating all over. Apparently this paint is impossible to touch up stone chips and I've also been told that even colour matching whole panels is very difficult.

After only 900 miles I noticed a stone chip on the bonnet and when taking it for the PPF I noticed another.
The Stealership had my car for 4 weeks troubleshooting a faulty hands free boot access sensor and when I went to pick it up they had left a nasty scratch just behind the drivers wheelarch. The clear PPF covered both of these stone chips and the scratch. Very impressed.

A few days later I had a ceramic coating applied. Since then the car has been in a barn as I'm away and haven't been using it.
Is all of this protection over the top ? I believe when you spend this sort of money on these cars, what is another £1k for piece of mind.

I guess I haven't really answered your question of caring for the paint, but I decided that prevention is better than cure.
When I mentioned the ceramic coating to the dealership they told me they had already started offering/recommending this to all magno cars they sell.

Take a look at this PPF thread.
Recommended PPF installer

Where in the North East are you ?

The care regime is quite different to a car with regular paint. In addition to not being able to touch up stone chips without them standing out like a sore thumb, remember that you can't just polish out minor blemishes or marks either.

Personally I wouldn't consider it on a daily driver.

If you really want a matte effect but don't fancy the complications or peculiarities associated with matte paint, then you could apply a matte (transparent) PPF to a silver car with "normal" paint, or just change the colour of another car with a matte silver wrap. Matte silver is lovely.

^ Actually, that's a really practical suggestion. A matte wrap can easily have panels re-wrapped if the finish gets damaged, and the car underneath will remain pristine.

Thanks guys, car I was looking at looks like its sold , seemed decent value too.
As it would be a daily driver I was a bit worried about it.

On the look out for others now, but so many different AMG variants which all have there different appeals to me.
C63(S), C43 and even CLA / A45 AMG

@7oddy - I'm based on Ingleby, so not far from you :)

Thanks for all comments.

Rob

If you really want a matte effect but don't fancy the complications or peculiarities associated with matte paint, then you could apply a matte (transparent) PPF to a silver car with "normal" paint, or just change the colour of another car with a matte silver wrap. Matte silver is lovely.

^ Actually, that's a really practical suggestion. A matte wrap can easily have panels re-wrapped if the finish gets damaged, and the car underneath will remain pristine.
I'm not sure you will get the same effect as the magno paint. I would think it will be flat matte which could look the same from a distance, but I can't imagine that it will have the sparkle/metallic fleck when close up. The matte (stealth) PPF I have seen is essentially a frosted clear wrap that would dull the fleck in any original metallic paint.

@7oddy - I'm based on Ingleby, so not far from you :)Rob
Rob, I was 9 years in Ingleby before moving out to the country life.
If you would like to take a closer look at the PPF/ceramic coated panels then we can arrange it, no problem.

I’m at Alton towers at the moment, I’ll be back Sunday night.

Hopefully the weather picks up during the week, I’ll get the car cleaned up and arrange something.

Rob, what garage was it in??

Rob,
I’d have PM’d you but you need +30 posts.
Are you available this Friday ?
I’m having some correction on my PPF on Thursday and picking it up on Friday.
I could meet you at the dealership if you like, then you could compare my protected paint against the car in the show room.

Yes, Preston Farm Stockton.

I know it won’t be a straight forward comparison due to Silver vs Grey, but it will show you that PPF and ceramic coating don’t change the appearance of the finish.

Yes, Preston Farm Stockton.

I know it won’t be a straight forward comparison due to Silver vs Grey, but it will show you that PPF and ceramic coating don’t change the appearance of the finish.

Thanks that great, what’s reason for correction if you don’t mind me asking ?

When it was applied it had a couple of defects (dust underneath) so some of it needed doing again. The guy who installed it had done me a favour and squeezed me in to his very busy schedule and didn’t have time to put it right there and then. I wasn’t too bothered because it wasn’t noticeable and the car was protected which was my main concern.
Now he has a slot to rectify the defects.

When it was applied it had a couple of defects (dust underneath) so some of it needed doing again. The guy who installed it had done me a favour and squeezed me in to his very busy schedule and didn’t have time to put it right there and then. I wasn’t too bothered because it wasn’t noticeable and the car was protected which was my main concern.
Now he has a slot to rectify the defects.
Great, be interesting too chat .

Thanks Ive used report button as the thread mentioned that. Many thanks. Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom