Max Mosley: Jackie Stewart a halfwit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The race circuit at Bahrain is a joke... Great circuit, great facilities BUT.......

There were no spectators

When I say no spectators, I mean that stadium woefully empty-ish. It was all corporate entertainment, and big sponsors.

Is that what we want? Are the days of camping out at Siverstone, spending the week-end under canvas, all over? Is it now cigars and caviar?

Hate to say it but I said this to Mrs E on her return and got chewed out. She said that it was packed at the start and finish, but during the race plenty wandered off elsewhere to see the other entertainment (music, dancing, cars, other displays, etc). Considering that F1 nowadays is as exciting as watching paint dry I'm hardly surprised - especially when the facilities are there to put on a host of other entertainment to compete with the on-track "spectacle".

Hate to say it but I said this to Mrs E on her return and got chewed out. She said that it was packed at the start and finish, but during the race plenty wandered off elsewhere to see the other entertainment (music, dancing, cars, other displays, etc). Considering that F1 nowadays is as exciting as watching paint dry I'm hardly surprised - especially when the facilities are there to put on a host of other entertainment to compete with the on-track "spectacle".
On the day of qualifying it was reported the stadiums held 50,000 and all they had present were 5000??

On race day I paid a lot of attention to the stadiums as the cars were roaring by and they certainly did not look anywhere near full? :(

The side shows looked amazing and was it open to everyone? What was the cost of admittance?

I think in Bahrain you are either rich or poor, with no in between (unless things have changed?)

Yes, the side shows were open to everyone.

The problem is nothing happens. 1 second apart is quite a distance with these cars - the only photos she has with more than 1 car in it was either on the grid / start or at the end. My son (who's an complete F1 nut) said it was "OK" and then spent more time telling me about the other stuff that was going on and the Dodge Charger police cars he had seen driving around.

WRT entry cost - I'll have to check her ticket but I think it was about BHD180 (£320!) although I believe stands at the last corner were around BHD45 (£80)

To compare:
Monaco (opposite pit lane in Grandstand T) - £370
Abu Dhabi (Main Grandstand - weekend pass) - £398 with early booking discount
Turkey (3 day Grandstand pass) - £388
Brazil (2 day grandstand B opposite pits) - £746

I can't see what Silverstone is this year, but it ain't a cheap sport to watch at the circuit. IMHO considering what you get in terms of entertainment value today it's way overpriced.

Max Mosley's son has died

I could not see another link and I note recycled removed his, but my thought go out to the Mosley family

I know i just thought it was off topic so i was debating another thread, but i thought not worth it.
My thoughts go out too.

I agree and is it relevant?
I have no idea but I do know it is not natural to bury our children no matter how old they are. Hopefully everyone will show some common decency and respect for the grieving family and not harrass them.

a press report said Max's legal case was affecting the family. this is just another good reason for him to have resigned and kept it out of the limelight.

I have no further comment.

Seeing as the man has now finally left a position of power.

Maybe this link is a better way to remember the good that he achieved.

The Official Formula 1 Website

No point him being whipped any further is there?:D

I think Todt will be okay. He should be able to galvanise the F1 teams, rather than demonise them.

I dunno, I would have liked to have seen someone not affiliated with Ferrari taking this position.

We'll now spend the entire term of Todt's presidency discussing "Ferrari favouritism" I'm not sure it's the best appointment.

he was only with Ferrari from 1993.

I would have to suggest that he shoyuld be capable of getting the teams to work together. After all, that is what he got Ferrari to do, and Peugeot before that.

Max used an autocratic system, but if Todt went down that road, I think he would find himself out on his ears soon. I think, like Brawn, he will be able to get the right people in to do the right job for the benefit of all.

And I doubt he would lower his self to calling an ex world champion a Half Wit nor get embroiled in some kind of illegal activities regardless of how the papers wish to interpret those things. So by association, he will only be accused of favouring Ferrari, if and when it happens, and this is not taking into account his past work. And let us not forget, Ferrari were favoured from the mid 60's anyway.

Which is much more preferable than being associated with Sir Oswald Mosely, prostition, drugs and other such illegal and iffy pastimes coupled with a desire to use the press to do all his dirty work.

Being associated with a lifetime of Motorsport and the dubious claim of favouring one team is not something that will bring disharmony on the FIA nor the world of Motorsport.

He is French, so he may favour Renault well all said and done.

Max made a statement once about Ferrari being special case due to it being a small company, and therefore needing protection agains the likes of Mercedes, being a big company. Not that FIAT in anyway are big, but it kind of amuses me that Brawn would, by his association, be a big company!

I really hope Todt never asks him for advice, or if he does, he does exaclty the opposite of what Max says. then we will move forward quite happily.

Firstly I'm not suggesting his opinions/decisions will be effected by his past....however consider the following:-

The New president of the FIA:-

1/ Was team principal and sporting director of Ferrari for a number of years (16 if your date is correct).
2/ He was/is (can't find details if still current) a director of Fiat - the owner of Ferrari.
3/ His son is manager of a Ferrari driver and still active.

None of these associations lend themselves to transparency.

They may never effect any decision he makes, but in many other circles would be considered enough of a conflict of interest to consider him unsuitable for the position.

It's almost as dumb as having a Bank Chief as chief executive of the FSA governing what the banks do....oh hold on...the boss of the FSA was a bank chief.

My point is perceived conflict, I'm in no way inferring there will be.

I understand the point, but I think it is favouring the last number of years, not the whole of his career.

The link between his son being a driver manager and it so happening that the driver in question is a ferrari driver (including the fact Todt was the man in charge at Ferrari when he was signed) is a tad tenuous.

The other issue here really is that the FIA is about cars, and so it stands to reason that the person who would ultimatley be elected would have some kind of link with Cars and the manufacturers. Ari Vatenen was no different in that respect although he is not tarnished with being connected with Max.

Still, it is entirely possible I will be totally wrong and he will just continue the imploding that F1 and the FIA seem to have descended into with the Max era.

There is one thing he won't do however. Use the press for the dirty washing.

Unless he takes Max's advice that is.......:doh:

not to worry, what will be will be.

I will declare at this point that I'm by no means familiar with either of their prospectus' for presidency.

Over litigous people don't tend to come across well. Mosely a fine example. The fact that Vatenen was in court threatening all sorts of nonsense before it even got to the vote counted against him in my eyes (FWIW).

However, I feel strongly that the President of the FIA should be a driver or ex team boss rather than a politician. So from that respect either will be qualified.

Time will tell, I hope he doesn't make a hash of it.

Time will tell, I hope he doesn't make a hash of it.

Fully agree with that.

mind you, I doubt it will be seen as a hash while he cleans up the mess left for him, so he hasn't got an uphill struggle there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom