Maximum safe engine temp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garymac

Car
c250 TD auto - sold
I was wondering what the general opinion was as to the safe engine temp when towing a caravan. I have a 1999 C250 TD and was trying the towing of the caravan for the first time last night. I live on a hill and the temp stayed at 80 when driving down the bank and on the flat but when towing up the hill which is about 1 mile long the temp went to just over 90. I know the system is pressurised but what would be safe for it to go to?? Please help as I am new to all of this and don't want to cause damage

You will find that at higher temps the auxiliary cooling engine fan should kick in to keep the temperature down. Might be worth giving the entire cooling system a once over to check the water/antifreeze mix is correct 50/50 and that the engine fan does kick in at higher temps (use the carrot test ) but your ears will tell you--if it sounds as if a small plane is about to take off at the front of the engine its probably working ok. Maybe some caravanners on the forum will have more specfic advice aboutnormal towing temperatures.

Also, if you have not had your thermostat replaced for a while, it is best to do this just in case. The thermostat cost about 10.00 and takes about 5-10 mins to fit. This way you can be sure that the fan is more likely to kick in and for a tiny sum will save you lots of agro.

I tow with an E300TD estate, my van is 1400kg and your temperature matches mine. If you are really concerned, turn off the aircon your engine will run cooler as you have taken some of the load off.

I tow with a w210 E300D auto (no turbo) and the temp goes up to 100 on long uphill climbs in the summer and then returns to normal 85-90 on the flat.
The red line on the temperature gauge is beyond 125 degrees so yours seems fine.

Karl said:
I tow with a w210 E300D auto (no turbo) and the temp goes up to 100 on long uphill climbs in the summer and then returns to normal 85-90 on the flat.
The red line on the temperature gauge is beyond 125 degrees so yours seems fine.

Karl , That's just the reassurance that I needed - thanks very much

110 on my mates BUT he puts the heater on full to take the heat away
and says it works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom