Maybach Brand to be Shut Down? + Facelift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Maybach Brand to be Shut Down?

Auto Express is reporting that Daimler executives have a plan in place to close the door on Maybach. The ultra-luxury brand, purchased by Daimler-Benz in 1960, was restarted as an automotive brand in 2002 following the 1997 introduction of the Mercedes-Benz Maybach concept in Tokyo.

Maybach was founded as a heavy-duty engine production company in 1909 by Wilhelm Maybach, a former technical director at Daimler. The company's first concept car debuted in 1919, and began assembly of extravagant vehicles two years later. The company halted automotive production in 1940, when they began building engines for German tanks in World War II. Car manufacture stalled for 60 years.

Sales at Maybach have flatlined since 2007, and were made worse by the global economic downturn. Further, Daimler may be looking to block Maybach from cannibalizing sales within their house brand, as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class is scheduled for release in 2014. The S-Class is set to be a top-shelf car with an impressive touch screen that lets the user control most interior functions with hand gestures.

AUTOEXPRESS LINK

164647.jpg

Facelift

Sketches purportedly showing the updated Maybach have surfaced in several publications. The company is supposedly readying their redesign for introduction in China next month.

According to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, a Maybach employee at the Geneva Motor Show confirmed that the limo's facelift will be in looks alone. The new design is likely to include an updated front bumper, new grille, remodeled hood, and LED daytime lights. Engine power output changes are not expected.

The Amsterdam-based newspaper says the facelift, rumored since 2007, has been confirmed by Dr. Dieter Zetsche, head of the Maybach-parent Daimler. Zetsche told the paper that the engines will fit with Euro V emissions rules, and no other changes beyond the visual adjustments will be made.

Maybach staff will be looking to rejuvinate the brand if they release the facelifted car. Maybach sales dropped significantly in recent times.

6721422.jpg

1889903.jpg

5935407.jpg

Last edited:
Can't say I'm awfully sad. Never did see the point in digging up a brand from years ago, sticking it on the front of an S Class and cranking up the vulgarity (and price)

good to see that even on your birthday you haven't forgotten your news reporting duties to the forum! :)

All the modern Maybach's are butt ugly so no great loss. I'd much rather have a top of the range S over a Maybum.

Couldn't believe how ugly the Maybach's looked they might be superb inside but you wouldn't rush to have your picture taken next to one

Very Sad if this once mighty and proud brand should fail at the hands of DB. Always felt that the exterior was not special or imposing enough, even if the interior is more opulent than my lounge!

Maybe I'm the only one but I quite like Maybach's....

The facelift images also look good as in my opinion the front didn't do the car justice.

The elephants' graveyard beckons!:rolleyes:

Sadly i think you're right. I like them, mind i have never actually seen more than one on the road. I thought it very imposing though and more exclusive than anything else too.

To be honest I the likes of the 62 and 57 are much more like this Maybach:

Maybach_Storm_Gun.jpg

than this one

maybach12.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom