Mayor of Paris wants ban on "older vehicles"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a similar scheme with commercial vehicles in the smoke isn't there?

LEZ compliance if I'm not mistaken?

Equally there is a charge for LEZ although so expensive you would not pay it unless you had to. The scheme suggested in Paris is a blanket ban and would include cars and motorcycles.

Sorry MBClub iPad app playing up again deleting first line of text!!!!!

Anyway 2nd attempt

Yes there is a scheme for commercial vehicles which also includes some 4x4's however they have imposed a daily charge (stupidly expensive and unlikely that most could afford it) this would be a blanket ban affecting classic cars and motorcycles as well as "old bangers" they are aiming at.

Many (most?) cities in Germany are covered by low emission zones now ... this started in 2007. Vehicles have to display a disc in the windscreen: red, yellow, green (depending on emissions), with most cities being restricted to green (equivalent to Euro IV). You can't get a disc at all for pre-1993 petrol cars, or pre-1997 diesels unless retrofitted with a particulate filter.

Will/Should other cities in Europe follow suit?
Will: Yes
Should: No

This is just another example of "green cloak" politics in the "being seen to be doing something" mold that is so popular with scientifically ignorant politicians.

If it prevents some of the "old smokers" populating the buses lanes of our cities I'm all in favour.

Many (most?) cities in Germany are covered by low emission zones now ... this started in 2007. Vehicles have to display a disc in the windscreen: red, yellow, green (depending on emissions), with most cities being restricted to green (equivalent to Euro IV). You can't get a disc at all for pre-1993 petrol cars, or pre-1997 diesels unless retrofitted with a particulate filter.

30 yr old and over are classed as 'historic' and are exempt. Whether that applies to diesels I'm not sure.

https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

All in favour of improving the air quality in cities.

However my high mileage carb driven old runaround, which falls just shy of the 30 year old rule for German purposes normally pumps out about 0.03% CO at idle when tested, which is about 5 times less than any modern car I have taken to get MOT'd and 1/10th of the UK limit for a pass.

So the test of just banning old vehicles doesn't seem to be very scientific, unless I am missing something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom