Mazda 6 or Audi A8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
This is a little premature, but I may need to buy a cheap second car for work commuting visiting other sites for the company. I don't really want to load up tons of miles on mine even though it would be most enjoyable (I've not ruled it out mind yet).

I'd just about got down to a Mazda 6 2.0 Auto and every so often I have a shifty at the place I bought my car from and Jay's Mercland to have a nosey and it just so happens I spotted that Jay has exactly the right Mazda I would want.

However, I notice a gold Audi A8 4.0 TDI.

I was considering 4.2TDI to move to as my main car but this is off the cards now - probably forever.

The Mazda is obviously the sensible choice - and actually returns a lot better fuel economy as a petrol than the Audi as a derv.

However, the Audi is obviously a much larger car and will probably be more comfortable.

I don't care about the colour.

I've not heard great things about the Audi Multitronic although the A8s or cars running the V8 derv engine have been very reliable.

According to my research - the Mazda is very reliable but I just wonder on long journeys if I will regret not going for the Audi despite the larger price tag.

Does anyone have experience of either model to impart?

It's got to be the Audi. Do the maths.....

..... It's 2 better !

It's got to be the Audi. Do the maths.....

..... It's 2 better !

While the Audi is in having a potentially expensive fix, the modest Mazda will be driving past without a bother. Maths indeed.

While the Audi is in having a potentially expensive fix, the modest Mazda will be driving past without a bother. Maths indeed.

OP already says the Mazda is the sensible choice. But how many of us buy cars with our sensible head?

PS - by my maths, A Renault 12 would be even better ..... and that surely can't be right!

That's man maths Meldrew2!

Mazda is the head choice Audi is the heart choice. A8 is a great car but I'm right off diesels at the moments so whilst I love A8's and we have had two, I would take the petrol Mazda over the diesel audi for the purpose you need it for

As a left field option have you seen that c320 estate Jay has for sale now that's a bargain

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Keep in mind that Audi developed that particular A8 to challenge the S-Class and they didn't do a bad job; I've known a few people own them over the years without issue and I have also flirted with the 4.2 TDI model myself.

I don't know much about the Mazda and I don't particularly want to neither when compared to an A8.

If you are going to be doing a lot of miles, where would you rather spend that time? Pretty rhetorical in my opinion...

OP already says the Mazda is the sensible choice. But how many of us buy cars with our sensible head?

PS - by my maths, A Renault 12 would be even better ..... and that surely can't be right!

True, but the criteria is a cheap work car. Nothing wrong with older Renaults, I want a 16.

True, but the criteria is a cheap work car. Nothing wrong with older Renaults, I want a 16.

Cheap work car is fine, and nothing wrong with the Mazda. But for "tons of miles" would the Audi be better?

I had a Renault Extra van (based on R5). Trust me, there was plenty wrong with that!

If you are going to be doing a lot of miles, where would you rather spend that time? Pretty rhetorical in my opinion...

Agreed. I went in my old E class last w/e and immediately noticed the difference between it and the C-Coupe I have now.

Cheap work car is fine, and nothing wrong with the Mazda. But for "tons of miles" would the Audi be better?

I had a Renault Extra van (based on R5). Trust me, there was plenty wrong with that!

Well my take is very simple, buying an A8 to save miles on a '54 car doesn't add up to me. Better off just using the Merc, always cheaper to run one car (I must try it sometime!). Thus, I can see why the Mazda was mentioned originally by the OP.

Audi all the way. No comparison for comfort for short or long journey's. With a little remap the 4.0tdi is a beast with decent return. :)

Gold?? Nothing an Hydro-dip can't sort ;)

If the AUDI has the 6-speed ZF 6HP26 tiptronic automatic then fine [ Think it was only the FWD cars that got multitronic??] If it was a multitronic at that mileage then I might hesitate. Mazda 6's are well screwed together but tend to show their age a bit at high miles. Petrols are OK but the early diesels had a habit of self destructing at high miles till they got the EGR/DPF thing sorted out.

Unless you are genuinely using the high performance of the E55 get rid of it and get a high spec, high performance diesel and just drive it every day.

I have a hankering for a Citroen C6 diesel, I passed one in Salisbury today and the car just looked vey elegant from every angle.

I have a hankering for a Citroen C6 diesel, I passed one in Salisbury today and the car just looked vey elegant from every angle.

If the economy and interior switchgear was good enough, I would have one already.
The ride and and noise level is fantastic...better than an S class.

Ride, yes. Noise, no.

Have you driven one?

They are very quiet due to good harmonic design, insulation and laminated windows. It made my old W210 seem noisy and that is a lot quieter than a W212.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom